Input Needed for DW Kits

GrittyGroover

Hey guys,

So as I get closer to being able to afford a new kit I have run into some long nights of debate with myself. I have been deciding between the DW Design kit and DW Performance Series kit. I understand the Design has the smaller lugs and the "HVLT." I keep going back and forth on these both because I really like the sounds of both.

I currently play with a surf punk band, but I play more than just that during my free time, so I am looking for a versatile and well rounded kit. Are there any suggestions on the two DW kits or another kit you have enjoyed playing? I am still looking around and trying to try out as many kits as I can.

Thanks!!!
Kevin

I think if your heart is set on either of those - go check 'em out and get one of them. If you ask us to submit to you what we like, you'll just get more confused about what you want. Don't listen to others - buy what will inspire you to play your best, and that sounds like a DW kit. Is the Performance series the cheaper one? A friend of mine just bought one of those and she loves it, it tunes great in all ranges with different heads. I think she got a winner to live with for a long time.

I think if your heart is set on either of those - go check 'em out and get one of them. If you ask us to submit to you what we like, you'll just get more confused about what you want. Don't listen to others - buy what will inspire you to play your best, and that sounds like a DW kit. Is the Performance series the cheaper one? A friend of mine just bought one of those and she loves it, it tunes great in all ranges with different heads. I think she got a winner to live with for a long time.

Thank you for the response Bo! I really like the input bout the tuning and that you know someone who really likes the kit.

The design series is cheaper in price out of the two. Design is $1500 and the Performance is $2000, both prices are based off online sites.

I think the Performance series will retain it's value better, as it is made domestically...............I haven't heard anything bad about either the Design or Performance kits.

If resale is not a factor, I'd go with whichever one sounds best to you.

Thank you for the response Bo! I really like the input bout the tuning and that you know someone who really likes the kit.

The design series is cheaper in price out of the two. Design is $1500 and the Performance is $2000, both prices are based off online sites.

What's the expensive one? The Collectors? Why not save the extra pennies for one of those? But my buddy raves about her Performances, and she's pretty discerning when it comes to drums (she works at a Sam Ash as the drum department person and gigs alot), so I tend to trust her judgment - she just can't afford the stuff I play ;)

What's the expensive one? The Collectors? Why not save the extra pennies for one of those? But my buddy raves about her Performances, and she's pretty discerning when it comes to drums (she works at a Sam Ash as the drum department person and gigs alot), so I tend to trust her judgment - she just can't afford the stuff I play ;)

Yeah I was thinking about saving money towards a collectors because that just seems like a better deal in my opinion. However I am in the same boat as your friend where it's hard for me to afford a kit like that.

Yeah I was thinking about saving money towards a collectors because that just seems like a better deal in my opinion. However I am in the same boat as your friend where it's hard for me to afford a kit like that.

There's a lot of extra dough for the collectors series. Biggest advantage of the collectors series kits is you can customize it. I went with the performance series myself, they had a finish that I loved, ebony stain finish,sizes I wanted, they sound incredible, the finishes are great. I couldn't justify the extra expense myself. I also really like the look of the smaller lugs on the performance series. I got mine the year they came out and got a killer deal on them. Found the 10,12,14,22,14x5.5 snare shell pack I wanted for $1799 online, took that to Guitar Center, they price matched and gave me 10% of the difference between what they were charging and that price.

Gritty.. the Performance are no less sound quality than the Collectors IMO. I've heard and played both next to each other..

The Performance is just a standardized version of a Maple Collectors to cut a few costs..

Plus you get their BEST SIZED lugs. The medium.

Gritty.. the Performance are no less sound quality than the Collectors IMO. I've heard and played both next to each other..

The Performance is just a standardized version of a Maple Collectors to cut a few costs..

Plus you get their BEST SIZED lugs. The medium.
Thank you for the feedback on that! I think I am leaning towards the performance series now. I do like the medium lugs on the kit.

There's a lot of extra dough for the collectors series. Biggest advantage of the collectors series kits is you can customize it. I went with the performance series myself, they had a finish that I loved, ebony stain finish,sizes I wanted, they sound incredible, the finishes are great. I couldn't justify the extra expense myself. I also really like the look of the smaller lugs on the performance series. I got mine the year they came out and got a killer deal on them. Found the 10,12,14,22,14x5.5 snare shell pack I wanted for $1799 online, took that to Guitar Center, they price matched and gave me 10% of the difference between what they were charging and that price.

Thanks for the response! I as well like the ebony stain finish. You made good points about picking the performance to save costs.

Last edited:
The improvement you get from Performance to Collector's is really a matter of inches for the extra money spent, and much of that is either cosmetic or esoteric (must you have a waterfall bubinga finish or a 23" bass drum?)

It's like that in the industry, and professionals can tell the difference, but they also are willing to make the investment in what they think is the best for their situation. That's why the price jumps like that; the major players can afford it, and the suppliers know that. If you want to get into that you can, but it'll cost you. I'm dealing with this in the world of recording gear, and being aware of what I really need without getting caught up in the hype of a particular brand or system will save me a ton of money going forward.

The Performance Series is a good deal and still offers much of what you need in a DW kit, especially at the weekender to semi-pro level, and as a bonus, it's regarded as a quality, "Yes, I'm taking this seriously" set of drums. Sometimes it makes a difference what you show up with, whether that's fair or not.

The improvement you get from Performance to Collector's is really a matter of inches for the extra money spent, and much of that is either cosmetic or esoteric (must you have a waterfall bubinga finish or a 23" bass drum?)

It's like that in the industry, and professionals can tell the difference, but they also are willing to make the investment in what they think is the best for their situation. That's why the price jumps like that; the major players can afford it, and the suppliers know that. If you want to get into that you can, but it'll cost you. I'm dealing with this in the world of recording gear, and being aware of what I really need without getting caught up in the hype of a particular brand or system will save me a ton of money going forward.

The Performance Series is a good deal and still offers much of what you need in a DW kit, especially at the weekender to semi-pro level, and as a bonus, it's regarded as a quality, "Yes, I'm taking this seriously" set of drums. Sometimes it makes a difference what you show up with, whether that's fair or not.

Really great points you make there. Ahaha yeah at the moment I don't need those things. Thank you for the response!

Have you thought about buying a used kit? If you check Guitar Center's website and type something like "used dw" into the search field, you will get a lot of good deals that come up. You could probably find a Collectors kit for a nice price. That's how I found my Performance kit at a really great price. I don't think you could go wrong with any DW drum set, though. The Design Series looks and sounds amazing, as does the Performance, as does the Collectors. I would say be patient and find the kit that's right for you. Good luck. Let us know what you get.

Back