info on 1980s tama swingstar

Tjessica44

My father has became ill, and my mother was going to sell his drums to make more room, but its the one thing my father loved more than anything so i asked for them. this is all I know about them so if anyone has any info about them that would be great. They are
1980s tama swingstar from japan and they are cream colored. he used to keep a pillow in the big one. I would like to fix them up and keep them for when i have children as a present from their grandfather they will have never met.thank you for any help.

Bloodguard

I actually own a Tama Swingstar from the 80s that i rarely play but all i know is that they are made of 8 ply mahogany wood with strange interior finish,they are more on the low-end of japanese drums but are a lot better than the other drums from the same class at the time.. Seeing as you plan on keeping them around for ages without no one playing them the best you can do is store them in good quality drum bags and polish them along with the hardware every once in a while..

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Swingstars were and are Tamas entry level drum sets.In the earlt 80's( I'm relying on memory) they were 9 ply mahogany,with a grey zola coating on the interior,which some mistake for fiberglass.The only fiberclass interior coating that Tama has ever done were custom made Superstar and Artstar for Neil Peart.

They are a pretty decent sounding kit with good heads and tuning.The hardware is also pretty respectable.The only parts that are available,are used parts that can be obtained on the net in places like Ebay.

Steve B

Big Foot

Silver Member
My father has became ill, and my mother was going to sell his drums to make more room, but its the one thing my father loved more than anything so i asked for them. this is all I know about them so if anyone has any info about them that would be great. They are
1980s tama swingstar from japan and they are cream colored. he used to keep a pillow in the big one. I would like to fix them up and keep them for when i have children as a present from their grandfather they will have never met.thank you for any help.
I'd hang onto them. I lost my father when I was very young. I have a few things of his and my kids and I are grateful for these keep-sakes.
I'd keep them, they're pretty good drums but they're only worth 350 bucks. However, the sentiment is worth much more.

Tjessica44

I showed my husband who also plays and he says that I probably have a 13" 14" tom 16" floor tom and a 20" kicker also he has two rockstar toms that are 9" and 12" that are all from japan and a Ludwig snare. I am going to keep them for sure!! thank you to everyone for your info.