Influences

ncc

Silver Member
We all talk about who influences or influenced our playing the most. I had the privilege to see Gene Krupa play live in Atlantic City NJ when I was really young. With YouTube you can find almost anything these days. While this was not the venue I was at, it was the show I saw. It was truly amazing and something I will never forget. Make sure you watch the whole thing especially after the 2 min mark. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8gvJnhTY2s

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Re: Influeneces

That was awesome. Love that guy! What always amazed me is that he looks like he's hardly playing at all yet you hear everything he's doing. I have the video when he did the drum battle with Buddy and Buddy clearly obliterated him (technically) on stage, but Gene just did his thing and gave Buddy a lesson in groove anyway ;)

Otto

Platinum Member
I always seem to under estimate the effect of non-famous drummers...even drummers that stopped playing soon after they influenced me.

...eg...the main drummer in high-school who treated me with respect and friendship when I was a freshman...

...or the friend who didnt play drums ...but knowing that I did introduced me to Moving Pictures back when it was released...

props to the mundane influencers out there!