Inexpensive? Yes...but I LOVE THEM

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Over my time here on the Forum, I've seen many posts about upgrading your drums. Most of us started out on a beater kit that got us through some good times & took a licking. But then opportunity knocked & we upgraded to our "holy grail" kit. One that does everything you could ever dream of & is probably the one you'll keep for life.

This begs the question: Has anyone ever had a mid-level kit that they just loved? One that did the job a higher end kit would do & yet you didn't feel the need to upgrade? One that you take a ribbing for by your friends in the form of, "You still playing on that bar basher? Dude...2021 called, they have a new kit for you." Yet you ignore them because you know what you have is all you need?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
No. I’ve gone through a number of high end kits, kept some longer than others, and regretted letting a few go, but I’ve never had that feeling with a mid-level kit. Actually, I don’t think I’ve ever gigged a mid-level kit. I was a well-cared for child.
Edit - correction: I’m playing a DW Design Kit right now. It doesn’t handle like a mid-range kit though. Other than the smaller turret lugs, it handles very well. I don’t really notice a difference between these and my Collectors kit. But my current fun 4-piece basher Kit is my rebuilt Rogers from 1978 - high end drums from long ago.

Attachments

• 752BF262-55C3-433F-B4C7-FFF30C517F62.jpeg
    752BF262-55C3-433F-B4C7-FFF30C517F62.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 9290E20D-F90E-4879-9FFD-079385BCF359.jpeg
    9290E20D-F90E-4879-9FFD-079385BCF359.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 5
  • EB7B734D-8293-4BE8-B9E5-3008EF0CA77C.jpeg
    EB7B734D-8293-4BE8-B9E5-3008EF0CA77C.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 98FF3DB6-0A6E-448C-91D3-78E0090A6F30.jpeg
    98FF3DB6-0A6E-448C-91D3-78E0090A6F30.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

alparrott

Platinum Member
I have a first-series Yamaha Stage Custom that I bought in 1999 to celebrate getting out of debt (and before you ask, I did a trade-in and paid the rest in cash). I've since gotten a very nice set of Ludwigs, and will eventually get a brand-new high-end set, but those Stage Customs are actually going out on a gig next weekend - they still sound really good for a $700 kit.

petrez

I guess the closest would be a Yamaha Power V Special in the 90's, a kit I played until 2002. But it was originally my fathers kit, only practice and a few school concerts, and when I got to be 18, I bought my dream kit, a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute. When you buy a kit like that so early in your career, it's hard to step down and be satisfied with a mid level kit, knowing what you get with more expensive kits.

Last edited:

Super Phil

I bought this Taye TourPro kit from a guy for $250. (Added the 2nd kick from eBay for about $80). Put new heads on them and absolutely love the way they sound. I used them to record our latest album and I like taking them on the road because they are already dinged up and I don't really have to worry about them getting banged around a little bit like I do with my high end stuff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210823-004509_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210823-004509_Gallery.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 12

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Me. I'm utilitarian. I dont want a finish, a wrap is just fine. I dont need the most expensive pedals. My cymbals, minus the Wuhan, were all used.

I play drums. I dont collect them. I dont show them off. I beat the crap out of them with sticks and sweat all over them. I have no desire to own a "studio queen".

wildbill

Platinum Member
Ya - Stage Customs - Good sounding, long-lasting kits and inexpensive. I agree.

I also like some of the less expensive Ludwig kits, but they don't seem to get any respect.
I think it's because when people hear 'Ludwig', they think of the higher priced lines.

yammyfan

Ya - Stage Customs - Good sounding, long-lasting kits and inexpensive. I agree.

I also like some of the less expensive Ludwig kits, but they don't seem to get any respect.
I think it's because when people hear 'Ludwig', they think of the higher priced lines.
I've got a Ludwig Accent CS Custom Elite sitting in my basement, unused. The kid I bought it from beat it to death but I've restored everything but the scratched underside of the bass drum. I really do have to put it together. It's supposed to be a decent kit.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Not so much a kit but I have a Worldmax NOB I paid a whopping £225 brand new that punches far above its weight.

Kit wise I wish I'd hadn't have sold my Pearl Midtown. Those are the ultimate beater kits. I may well grab another one some day.

Al Strange

Not so much a kit but I have a Worldmax NOB I paid a whopping £225 brand new that punches far above its weight.

Kit wise I wish I'd hadn't have sold my Pearl Midtown. Those are the ultimate beater kits. I may well grab another one some day.
If it wasn’t for a 6 month delay and 2 failed orders I too would be the proud owner of a World max NOB! (y) :)