Inexpensive Bop Kit Poll

Which one - all 18" bass drum, all under $1k, some with snare and one 5 pc.

• Pearl Compact Traveler

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Tama Club Jam

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • DDrum SE Flyer

• Sonor AQX Jazz

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Yamaha Stage Custom

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Pearl Roadshow

• PDP ConceptMaple

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Tama Imperialstar (5 pc.)

• Sonor AQ2 Bop

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Gretsch Catalin Club CT-1

Votes: 16 27.1%

• Total voters

wildbill

Platinum Member
10 fit in the poll - found 11 - the last one is Sonor AQ2 bop - so if that's your choice, it'll have to be in a post.
Ordered from least to most expensive.
You can change your vote, pick as many as you want, and view responses without voting.
Comments, and other current 18" bass drum bop kits under $1K that you find are welcome.

Mapex

what you want in a Bop Set Say I... : ) is dimensions.
14 x 18
8 x 12
14 floor can be shorter (not Wayne) than 14.

but this "7x10 small tom' and 'other' usually shallow dimensions gotta go. my 4c.
Otherwise -to me- you're dealing with toys

the AQX checks all the boxes (except snare is a 13)
the AQ2 is a way step up but maybe not
and the Mapex (not included I know) requires substituteing a 12 for the 'teeny ten' small tom

Yep - my bad. I didn't know if they were still making an under $1K bop kit, but I found one here:

Reactions: jda
Yes; needs a 12 but ..could happen;

You see here's a miscontrupiation many have about Bop Kits..

the 12... is the Jazz drum. Not the 14" floor (sorry dudes..)
and the Bass yea could be 'various'..
The 12 (usually 8X12 but could be 10x12 (Joe says so..)

The 12 is the "key"/ Jazz.Drum.
Rant off
but I'm dedserious..

You see here's a miscontrupiation many have about Bop Kits..

the 12... is the Jazz drum. Not the 14" floor (sorry dudes..)
and the Bass yea could be 'various'..
The 12 (usually 8X12 but could be 10x12 (Joe says so..)

The 12 is the "key"/ Jazz.Drum.
Rant off
but I'm dedserious..

For me, the 12" tom and 18" bass seem mandatory. Those could even function as a 'bikini kit.' :ROFLMAO:

18" bass is a Luxury not all can afford in a Top line but we're not talking top line so yes.
Here's the Funny Part:
an 18" bass New in anyone's Line Top Line- is Less $ than the 20..or the 22"..

COME TIME to Sell used...18" bass Goes Off the Chart!!
ain't that something? ; )

Last edited:
I've had a couple Stage Custom bop kits and thought they sounded really good for the price.
Only thing I didn't like was the 6 lugs per side on the bass drum.
Lower end kits in general don't hold their prices when sold, but OTOH, the initial investment wasn't so much either.
!8" bass drum, higher end kits do seem to hold value pretty good though.
Sometimes demand seems higher for used ones than new ones - people can be weird that way. :ROFLMAO:

It’s older and not on the list, but I play a Sonor Bop SE. I bought it second hand 5 years ago to use as a cheap practice kit and it became my main kit. It’s rare to find them used now, but there’s one currently at Guitar Center, in “good condition” for $450 (which is more than it cost when new).

I used to have a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz kit, so that is what I voted for. I was happy with it for a long time but eventually had to go back to Mapex Saturn. Peace and goodwill.

I don't think the Sakae is a current kit though. I don't even know if they're still making drums.

I did find a review, but it looks like it has a 16" bass drum:
"....Up for review is a 4-drum mini kit claimed to have the "same power and sound of those regular sized kits", in a 4-drum configuration comprising a 16"x16" kick, 13"x11" floor tom, 10"x7" suspended tom and a 12"x51⁄2" snare drum...."

Last edited:
Reactions: jda
Well dammit I came here to vote for the Pearl Midtown but cant because it's only a 16" kick drum.

It is a fantastic set for being a tiny poplar kit.

I don't think the Sakae is a current kit though. I don't even know if they're still making drums.

I did find a review, but it looks like it has a 16" bass drum:
"....Up for review is a 4-drum mini kit claimed to have the "same power and sound of those regular sized kits", in a 4-drum configuration comprising a 16"x16" kick, 13"x11" floor tom, 10"x7" suspended tom and a 12"x51⁄2" snare drum...."
Thats why is specifically said used.

They do pop up as old stock mdoels too on the bay.

It is 16” but with a large sound because the kick has no holes other than ligs and airvent (it lays on a cradle).

Gretsch Energy Street Kit (GE4S484RS)

Gretsch Catalina Club 4 piece shell (CT1-J484-BSF or CT1-J484-YSF)

Back