Inexpensive Bop Kit Poll

Which one - all 18" bass drum, all under $1k, some with snare and one 5 pc.

• Pearl Compact Traveler

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Tama Club Jam

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • DDrum SE Flyer

• Sonor AQX Jazz

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Yamaha Stage Custom

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Pearl Roadshow

• PDP ConceptMaple

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Tama Imperialstar (5 pc.)

• Sonor AQ2 Bop

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Gretsch Catalin Club CT-1

Votes: 12 22.6%

• Total voters

JimmyM

Platinum Member
I don't think they make them with an 18" bass drum yet.
Well why not consider them anyway? There’s another two inches saved ;).

I just looked on Ludwig’s website and you have to go pro level to even get an 18 bass. I wonder why that is. You can get 16 or 20, but no 18’s till you get to Classics and Vistas.

wildbill

Platinum Member
....I just looked on Ludwig’s website and you have to go pro level to even get an 18 bass. I wonder why that is. ....

Because 18's are for pros. ;)

Seriously though - it could eat into upper end sales. Unless someone is determined to have a USA made set.
The lower lines are all imports.
The Breakbeats and Pocket kits are current sets you can buy new though AFAIK.

But bop kit is 18" bass for this thread. My poll = my definition.
You can start a poll for 16" and under mini kits if that floats your boat though.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
Because 18's are for pros. ;)

Seriously though - it could eat into upper end sales. Unless someone is determined to have a USA made set.
The lower lines are all imports.
The Breakbeats and Pocket kits are current sets you can buy new though AFAIK.

But bop kit is 18" bass for this thread. My poll = my definition.
You can start a poll for 16" and under mini kits if that floats your boat though.
Nah…not my thing ;)

wildbill

Platinum Member
Gretsch Energy Street Kit (GE4S484RS)

I didn't know about the Street kit, but the Catalina is in the poll.

(Just noticed I spelled it wrong, but don't see how to change it - could be worse :ROFLMAO: )

wildbill

Platinum Member
which one does wildbill like/want

I'm very happy with my Ludwig Classic Maple bop kit - but it doesn't meet the under $1K requirement.
A few other bop kits I've had were a couple Stage Customs and an early Mapex lower line one.
I also had a Ludwig Burnt Natural finish Ludwig CM bop kit that I sold and regretted it enough that I got my
current CM bop set as a replacement for it.

If I had to pick one from the list, I'd probably try the PDP.
If DDrum still made the Paladin Walnut bop kit, I might try that one too, but I think it's discontinued.
If the Stage Custom 18" bass drum had 8 lugs per side, I'd consider another one of those again too.

I've settled in to being most comfortable with a 20" bass drum, and I've got that covered with a
5 pc. Ludwig Downbeat set. But the LCM bop kit is tons of fun to play too.

Last edited:

Mr Farkle

There’s this…

I own one. It sounds fine and costs almost nothing. A 10” tom, but I’m learning to like that… slowly. 😁 It will need heads if they’re original. I don’t have the snare so I can’t speak to that, but I don’t think I would use the snare from any of the under $1,000 kits. Sell the snare to cover shipping and you have yourself a perfectly workable $250 bop kit.

Artstar

Platinum Member
There’s this…

I own one. It sounds fine and costs almost nothing. A 10” tom, but I’m learning to like that… slowly. 😁 It will need heads if they’re original. I don’t have the snare so I can’t speak to that, but I don’t think I would use the snare from any of the under $1,000 kits. Sell the snare to cover shipping and you have yourself a perfectly workable $250 bop kit.

These are also all Birch.. and they don't remove lugs like Yamaha does..

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
For Bop I qualify 12/14/18 and I’d pick maple so PDP concept maple or Sonor AQ2 bop . Nothing wrong with “mahogany” ,birch , or poplar , but for a bop I’d want maple.

jda

Silver Member
but I don’t think I would use the snare from any of the under $1,000 kits.
the AQ2 has a (matching wood 6.5x14; I might use that +/-

the Aq2 seems to be offered cheaper when wrapped wmp

Last edited:

RobertM

Platinum Member
:sick:

Doesn't seem right for 3 small drums.
But I've seen some sets priced a lot higher for the same 18/12/14 configuration.
I know. I found a beautiful Classic Maple 20/14/12 in that awesome "red diablo" lacquer finish, but it's at $3100, I think. Eek! I feel like $2400 is more accurate. But the times we live in are bizarre in more than one way...

RobertM

Platinum Member
You can still get a Canopus 3 pc Ash kit for under $2500, and those drums are pretty amazing. Ash wood finish is not to everyone's liking, but Canopus is now offering the Ash kits in Indigo matte lacquer, Smoky Violet matte, black olive matte, and black. The blue and violet are pretty nice.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I bought a Sonor Bop kit a long time ago. It sounded great about 6-10 out from it, but sounded horrible in the driver's seat.