Indulge or Buy Logically?

Hey guys. I'm saving up for some new cymbals and I need to know if I should indulge on big cymbals or be smart and get reasonably sized ones
Big:
8" Meinl Classics Bell Medium
12" Zildjian K Splash
16" Paiste Twenty Medium-Light Hats
20" Dream Bliss Crash/ride
22" Dream Bliss Vintage Bliss Crash/ride
24" Paiste Giant Beat, Zildjian A Medium Ride or, a 24" Istanbul Agop Signature Ride

Smaller Setup
8" Meinl Classics Bell Medium
10" Zildjian K Splash
15" Dream Bliss Hats
15" Zildjian A Custom Crash
18" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Crash
20" Dream Bliss Crash/ride
20" Zildjian A Armand Ride

Any ideas? I'm really torn. I play in an Allman Brothers Band Tribute Band and play a lot of Christian Rock too. Help me!

Bull

Gold Member
I wouldn't go larger than 20" with the crashes,unless you are fighting EXTREMELY loud stage volumes.

cap'n

Big and indulgence should not be related like that. Same for smart and small. It's all a matter of taste. What sounds best to you? What will be most inspiring to you to play? No one should get down on you for your subjective taste, so spend how you want!
The only other consideration you may want to make is how these cymbals will fit in with the music you play. Would bigger and thus louder/more sustained cymbals work well with your style? Or do you want the cutting and bright tones of smaller cymbals?

It's all up to you and there isn't anything right or wrong about whatever you decide to do! Just make yourself happy, man.

brentcn

Platinum Member
Depends on your long term goals as a drummer. For sessions and some gigs, it's nice to have standard (or close to standard) cymbals that don't stick out too much -- 14 or 15 hats, 16/17/18 crashes, and a 20/22 ride. 16" hats can be too dark for some tracks, and a 24" ride can be out of control, or have a piercing stick definition if played too lightly.

For "your sound", go with what you like, of course, but I've heard that the Dreams crack easily if you crash on them, because they're intended as a jazzers' cymbal. Wonderful instruments, though!

I would get good-sounding basics first, and add larger sizes down the road, until you have 2 sets of cymbals.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
It's not a matter of "indulgence" vs "logic", but rather a matter of what sound you like and the venues you play. If you're rocking 1,000+ people every night, and the drums have no mics, then get the larger cymbals for sure, but usually there is sound reinforcement for larger venues, so you should make your choice based on the sound you want to make. I think that the Dream 20" and 22" cymbals will be a tad too "trashy" for your only crashes. It's kinda like if you were looking at having your only crashes be an Ozone and a China--more of a special application than a staple. I'd go with an old standby of something in the A or K lines, or the comparable lines from other companies. And, yes, the Dream cymbals are more fragile than Zildjians, true, but any large cymbal with a lot of metal will be prone to breakage if you abuse it.

I notice there are two cymbals you list in both groups (8" Meinl Bell and 20" Dream crash/ride). Any particular reason you HAVE to have each of THOSE cymbals in your setup?

It's not a matter of "indulgence" vs "logic", but rather a matter of what sound you like and the venues you play. If you're rocking 1,000+ people every night, and the drums have no mics, then get the larger cymbals for sure, but usually there is sound reinforcement for larger venues, so you should make your choice based on the sound you want to make. I think that the Dream 20" and 22" cymbals will be a tad too "trashy" for your only crashes. It's kinda like if you were looking at having your only crashes be an Ozone and a China--more of a special application than a staple. I'd go with an old standby of something in the A or K lines, or the comparable lines from other companies. And, yes, the Dream cymbals are more fragile than Zildjians, true, but any large cymbal with a lot of metal will be prone to breakage if you abuse it.

I notice there are two cymbals you list in both groups (8" Meinl Bell and 20" Dream crash/ride). Any particular reason you HAVE to have each of THOSE cymbals in your setup?

Yeah I understand what you mean. I'm pretty sure that I'm going with the smaller cymbals since I'm not playing huge gigs. I already have the two cymbals which is why I want to keep them.