Index finger hurting

Nilsdrums

Hi!

After a few intense practice sessions lately, the lower part of my index finger on my right hand started hurting. It did so for about a day after as well. It was after I had played very fast punk rock style betas and fill-ins for a few hours. I'm clueless as to why though as I have never ever experienced this before in my 8 years of drumming. I have changed up my technique a little and use more of a sort of Moeller technique now so I am fairly relaxed when playing but I also started using a much looser grip for this so maybe it's that the stick is moving more? Cause I think I gripped tighter before (Without playing tenser) and not having any problems, so maybe my grip is too loose now?

Any help/advice would be really helpful, really don't want to injure myself.

C.M. Jones

Without seeing your technique, it's impossible to know whether or not you're stressing your index finger. Also, everyone's physiology is different, so what poses no concerns for one drummer might be a source of pain for another. If the problem persists, consult a certified instructor to assess your playing. Finetuning your grip might resolve the issue for good.

defregano

It could be that you’re not using the back fingers as much as you should and putting pressure on your index finger. See if that may may be what youre doing. Keep the back fingers loosely curled around the stick.

Last edited:

Nilsdrums

It could be that you’re not using the back fingers as much as you should and putting pressure on your index finger. See if that may may be what youre doing. Keep the back fingers loosely curled around the stick.
Yes I'm almost certain that's it! Cause like I said I've never had this problem before when I gripped tighter. So it's probably that I started gripping too loose on my right hand.

defregano

Yes I'm almost certain that's it! Cause like I said I've never had this problem before when I gripped tighter. So it's probably that I started gripping too loose on my right hand.
Awesome! Just be more mindful of the grip, keep a good fulcrum, and make the right adjustments in the moment and the issue will go away.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Usually I trace my injury to something else I've done. I just discover/notice the injury when I play. I'd lay off playing a bit and let it rest, then if doesn't respond well go see a physician, My Dad was a physician. He'd say "If it offends thee-cut it off". Yeah he was a real "cut up" ROFL.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TMe
Is it an injury or bone/muscle/nerve pain? Like others have said we can't diagnose it through internet and it might be a technique issue, or just using new muscles for the first time.

All I can tell you is that we're all different, and I personally try to stretch and massage my hands for drumming, ideally before and after. Drumming can be a full body workout, especially if you're playing loud fast punk. It uses muscle groups and tendons that we don't usually exert so much, so I approach it much like my other athletic activities and unlike how I approach other instruments.

Nilsdrums

Is it an injury or bone/muscle/nerve pain? Like others have said we can't diagnose it through internet and it might be a technique issue, or just using new muscles for the first time.

All I can tell you is that we're all different, and I personally try to stretch and massage my hands for drumming, ideally before and after. Drumming can be a full body workout, especially if you're playing loud fast punk. It uses muscle groups and tendons that we don't usually exert so much, so I approach it much like my other athletic activities and unlike how I approach other instruments.
Shouldn't be a technical problem, I've tried to look at my technique and I play basically the same for years and never had this problem. Could maybe the sticks have anything to do with it? Cause the pain started right when I started playing with a new pair of sticks. Really hope i can solve this shit, it's so frustrating.

Nilsdrums

Ice and rest. Depending on your age, a doctor.
Well I guess I'll go see a doctor, even though I'm only 19 haha. Nowadays I work so I only play about 2 hours for 3-4 days a week so that's nothing compared to how much I played in high school without problems.

Nilsdrums

Awesome! Just be more mindful of the grip, keep a good fulcrum, and make the right adjustments in the moment and the issue will go away.
I've tried gripping both tighter and looser, still the same problem. Might be some small injury/strain that I keep playing up every time so I guess I'll let a doctor check as I've never had any similar pain before. I also can play really relaxed when playing fast which makes me doubt it's a technique issue even more

Rock Salad

I get that sometimes too. Mine always goes away after a day of rest. Same thing too, learning Moeller. My suspicion is that I need more strength/practice with my up stroke.

Well I guess I'll go see a doctor, even though I'm only 19 haha. Nowadays I work so I only play about 2 hours for 3-4 days a week so that's nothing compared to how much I played in high school without problems.
I was going to suggest it was possible that it was just a symptom of getting older, but I guess that’s not likely to be the case. :)

Nilsdrums

I was going to suggest it was possible that it was just a symptom of getting older, but I guess that’s not likely to be the case. :)
Haha yeah def not the case, but since i've never had similar pain before and it gets a little worse everytime it must be something other than technique. I guess i'll just need to rest

It was after I had played very fast punk rock style
I'm no expert, but for me personally, the heavier the music, the heavier I hit my cymbals.

The heavier I hit my cymbals, the more my fingers hurt.

I pay closer attention to my hands/grip/etc when doing beats or fills....but if the music is loud and heavy, technique starts to go out the window when I smash those crashes....