Indestructible?

MntnMan62

Silver Member
I've been using the same set of Evans Blue Hydraulics on my drums for years, if not decades now. All the toms show some signs of wear but definitely no dents. And while I never really looked too closely, I never saw any evidence of wear of the bass drum batter head. A few weeks ago I carted my kit to someone's house to jam. While I was playing I noticed a buzz sound each time I hit the bass drum. I had never heard that sound before. I looked at the head, somewhat casually and didn't notice anything so chalked it up to bad technique on my part. Took the kit home and when I was setting it back up in my basement I look a little closer at the bass drum head and notice that the outer ply of the head had completely cracked and that the sound I was hearing was the two plies vibrating against one another. So much for indestructible. I'm not complaining at all given I probably bought those heads back around 1979 or 1980. I'd say I got my money's worth, and then some. I've been thinking of changing them out with Remo Pinstripes and now have no reason to put that decision off. I do plan on getting some sort of protector for the spot on the bass drum where the beater hits the head. This is nothing more than a realization that Evans Hydraulics are not indestrucible.

Good for you. It probably indicates good playing technique.

I'd be interested in knowing if you like the sound of your drums better after you install new heads.

I've been using the same set of Evans Blue Hydraulics on my drums for years, if not decades now.

Indeed. The timbres that decay with age/use on a single-ply G1 do not really exist on a dual ply hydraulic. When my Ambassadors start to go, it's not that they suddenly lack a clear note and sticking sound, it's that the crazy overtones and long duration resonance begin to fade away. These are the exact qualities that a hydraulic intends to overcome by design.

I recently found out the current sun was purchased on a credit card and only minimum payments have been made. The compounded debt is now more than the value of the whole earth and the current sun may be repossessed.:rolleyes:

Seriously, I hope people aren’t racking up high interest debt to buy drums. ?
At the rate things are going, the sun will explode this year.

No drum (or card) debt here. Some of these drums, even snares, have multiple car payment price tags. Some drums cost more than a car. More power to those who can. Even if I could I wouldnt.

You should try Aquarian SK1 or Evans EMAD they are both great kick drum heads. I’m sure that my 88 model Yamaha came with a pinstripe on the kick drum but I replaced it with an SK one. I was using pinstripes on those drums for quite a few years but it’s been along time since I’ve used pinstripes. My newer Yamaha’s came with some type of Remo head I think it’s a single ply clear with a ring around the inside perimeter of the head about 2 inches wide to take away some of the overtones. Also my Ludwig club date came with that same head on it, they’re OK but I much prefer the SK one or the emad. You probably should replace your heads at least every five years LOL

This is nothing more than a realization that Evans Hydraulics are not indestructible.

I've been using those since 1986 & can tell you they do last a REALLY long time. I don't have any that old, but the thickness adds to the durability for sure.
I will say I've never had one on my kick, but have heard sound comparisons showing me that maybe I should. add a beater patch & that sound would be FAT!

People tend to overlook these heads as being "boxy" sounding. What they don't realize is the oil helps with tone control & they're really easy to tune.

I've been using those since 1986 & can tell you they do last a REALLY long time. I don't have any that old, but the thickness adds to the durability for sure.
I will say I've never had one on my kick, but have heard sound comparisons showing me that maybe I should. add a beater patch & that sound would be FAT!

People tend to overlook these heads as being "boxy" sounding. What they don't realize is the oil helps with tone control & they're really easy to tune.

I agree with all of the above. I realize that much of my unhappiness with the sound had to do with their old age. I have loved using them but clearly I was ready for something else. The Pinstripes are similar given they are two ply but are definitely thinner so the tone and sustain are better. I'm definitely enjoying them but I'd go back to the Evans Hydraulics if I were putting together a second kit that would be my gigging kit. I'd know that I would never have an issue with a broken head on my kick or toms. I use coated Ambassadors on my snare so I always bring a spare with me just in case.

I still have a clear pinstripe on my Gretsch rb kick since 1988. It was put on because I tore my front head and had a spare pinstripe. It sounded good & still does so I left it. I hate the way it looks so I may just get a smooth white & put a clear logo on it & port it.

I still have a clear pinstripe on my Gretsch rb kick since 1988. It was put on because I tore my front head and had a spare pinstripe. It sounded good & still does so I left it. I hate the way it looks so I may just get a smooth white & put a clear logo on it & port it.

I am really digging the clear pinstripe on the batter side of my kick drum. I have a black smooth Ambassador (or maybe it's a Diplomat) on the resonant side that I put a Slingerland logo on. No port. It was on there with the Evans as well and I much prefer the punch and depth of sound and tone that I get from the Pinstripe that I never got with the Evans Hydraulic. I'll be adding a beater patch and hope it doesn't mess with the great sound it makes now.

Reactions: iCe
I am really digging the clear pinstripe on the batter side of my kick drum. I have a black smooth Ambassador (or maybe it's a Diplomat) on the resonant side that I put a Slingerland logo on. No port. It was on there with the Evans as well and I much prefer the punch and depth of sound and tone that I get from the Pinstripe that I never got with the Evans Hydraulic. I'll be adding a beater patch and hope it doesn't mess with the great sound it makes now.

I use clear Pinstripes on both my bass drums since a month or 3 now too and i really dig the sound. Slapped a beater patch on it from the start, so don't know how it would sound without, but its punch with a hint of low-end all the way! I do use ported reso-heads though, but i'm leaning more towards a unported head the last year or so. Maybe slap an clear Ambassador Bass on it the reso side for a nice cool look.

First hydraulic I bought was broken in the box, so not indestructible haha.
And the replacement I was provided has dented after a year or so. Though I think that was in transit rather than playing ?

First hydraulic I bought was broken in the box, so not indestructible haha.
And the replacement I was provided has dented after a year or so. Though I think that was in transit rather than playing ?

After I took mine off I took a closer look at it and found that there were dents both where the beater hit as well as down where the pedal must have hit or rubbed against the head. Since this head is quite literally 40 years old, the damage could have been done at anytime during the past 40 years. I presume someone was playing it without properly attaching the bass drum pedal causing it to hit or rub the head repeatedly while being played. Even with all of this, I'd say my experience confirms that these heads are indeed the closest thing to indesctructible as any head can be. That said, I'm loving the Pinstripes. We'll see how long they last.

I'm playing a 1980's stock Remo pinstripe clear with a Tama logo on my practice kit for the past year. It came with the Tama Granstar Custom 11x8 tom when I got it off ebay a couple of years ago. It sounds okay for what I'm doing, but I plan on replacing it when I get some cash flow again. Amazing these things last so long.

Back