increase speed, strength & control right after a trip to the store

iwantmemoney

a trip to the hobby or fabric store for elastic string, that is - (please watch the video below)... right now, i can't remember the actual diameter of what i'm using here(there is a very thin string which you wouldn't want to get)... but...if you wanted something which you could use continuously without blowing out the string, you would need something with a little bigger diameter. just tie the string to an overhead horizontal cymbal boom or something similar, attach it to the sticks, and adjust it.

as you throw your stick, the resistance and pulling begins, so by adding this to your practice, it begins immediately to strengthen the musculature used in striking the head and in capturing rebounds. you can just do it in the air(truly silent practicing), or you can position a pad under it and adjust the resistance(you have to pull it to the pad, in other words).

the way this works is so effective, it began to correct my grip in the first session. it instantly increases speed and strength and continued use can build a super grip...it reminded me of hiking with a heavy backpack for a long time, as you take the backpack off and feel like jumping 10 feet high.

because of the visible line created by the string when you throw the stick, you can exactly see if your throw is straight, which makes it conducive to actually teaching you to throw straight.

if you have suffered damage, it is a perfect rehab tool- there is no impact whatsoever and you use it at the strength level you are comfortable with.

also, the "follow-through" with a stick stroke must be just as important as follow-through in sports like golf, bowling, throwing a ball, etc, except usually drummers don't have a literal follow-through: our hand just sort of collapses into the actual hit. but with this tool, the stick can actually traverse the plane which would normally be the drumhead, which creates the opportunity to watch, and to begin perfecting the follow-through.

i think i have to say that, "i am not responsible if you overwork your hands and suffer damage from this idea"(it can make you sweat!), but if you use it carefully, you should not. i appreciate feedback if someone tries it. peace through quality drumming.

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/107086695?actp=n%2B0prKAebczfG13CmB%2FL170xxzjSK8k%2F19igSi%2F1c3vFrKSdG4VwAe0JTCVeV1%2BSiwiB9igZMPEx6tPILSJze%2Fm3sLDrWr1lXK7d1FhKi4nu1HwCwIy03ZcCtXeAh7QmRmOx8hsWTL2I6I3%2B7FVvs2qXqbNt7361M0t8Ftu0HizFbBlLciQMTonoANlVRu70HsvAYE8XlIqjAIs2iorotrp7eJMRaPgxUXZUr1TnHZYeNamxohym0MLA6tVwRquhHkAggKRJV3tZf6Wl%2BislOw%3D%3D

Last edited:

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Sorry mate....I'm not getting this at all. I have read it, re-read it and then read it again for a third time and I still haven't got a clue what it is you're talking about.

I'm sure I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed (an accusation I've had thrown at me more than once), but to me, this makes no sense at all. Can you elaborate for the dim witted amongst us? :)

iwantmemoney

Sorry mate....I'm not getting this at all. I have read it, re-read it and then read it again for a third time and I still haven't got a clue what it is you're talking about.
well, thanks for the thorough read! hang on a sec, please. (i'm in a hurry). did you watch the video? i'll be back as soon as possible....

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
did you watch the video?
Ah...ok man.......I have to admit...No....I missed it first time round...hey, told you I was dim witted, didn't I?? :)
I have since watched it and your post makes sense now. Sorry mate, I jumped the gun on that one.

Personally, I'm cool with my rebound strokes and happy with my current routine for stregthening my wrists......but as we all know, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Glad to hear it's of benefit to you. Keep us posted on how this little exercise works hey.

Cheers.

iwantmemoney

Personally, I'm cool with my rebound strokes and happy with my current routine for stregthening my wrists.....
i edited my post to say "watch the video". i've read many of your posts and i could bury you in the dim-witted dept....but what you say here is exactly what i was thinking...

so maybe the strength in this idea is more for rehabilitation? it looks like rehab equipment. thanks man

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
so maybe the strength in this idea is more for rehabilitation? it looks like rehab equipment. thanks man
Perhaps it could just be limited to a rehab scenario....but if it works for YOU as a practice aid, then there is no questioning the benefits of it, IMHO.

At the end of the day, if you're seeing some level of improvement in your playing or stroke due to this exercise, then there's no harm done at all.

Good luck with it.

iwantmemoney

i think i'm excited about it because i thought of it...it's so simple it's just stupid! probably i should sell it on late nite t.v.

but when you actually put the sticks in your hands, it does get pretty interesting, no, really!...and that's what caught my attention(of course, i'm easily entertained).

wow this thread has been huge...not quite as big as mother's day at the orphanage, however. i hope my therapist has an opening soon.

Last edited: