In your opinion, what makes the difference between intermediate and advanced drummers

Dedworx

Re: In your opinion, what makes the difference between intermediate and advanced drum

intermediate to me is learning 'compound concepts" - that meaning, concepts that combine basic fundamentals with new ideas to take your playing further. they're not "harder" but require more building blocks to execute or understand.

advanced to me is being able to freely apply these compound concepts in the musical settings you're involved in. also creating new elements to add on to the skills you've already built up. - eg what elvin or tony did with jazz playing. or garibaldi with stickings as grooves with accents ect.

i think it really just needs to happen in one style. if the expectation for you to be advanced is to go far along in every style, then Vinnie C is advanced and most other drummers aren't.
- i'm not saying play one style, i only mean in others consideration of "advanced". if someone's playing is considered advanced in a style, he/she is more than not considered an advanced player overall.

Pontiadict

Re: In your opinion, what makes the difference between intermediate and advanced drum

It's never occurred to me to think of it that way. I just know what I like. Drummee, what brought that to mind?

Advanced drumming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujcYw2QTPzM

Advanced drumming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxaUjIYX1Y

Advanced drumming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76eoyyem2K8

Advanced drumming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra8VTlXVqUQ

Advanced drumming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BpmLGGpK7k

It just depends what you're advanced with. As a rough rule, if it grooves from A to Z then it's advanced :)

My understanding is that untuned percussion doesn't have a formal grading system from 1 to 9 like tuned percussion, piano, flute etc, where intermediate and advanced levels are well-defined. Apparently those grading sessions are not all beer and skittles. A friend teaches piano and flute and his students get really nervous at the gradings and he has to work hard to help them settle during their preparation. If they fail the parents are likely to get cross - and he ends up wearing some of the implied blame too.

Trouble is, it depends on the markers. Some are tougher than others. Some will take nervousness into account and some don't, presumably because they believe that performances require the ability to play through nervousness.

Give me the informal path any day. I drummed super-sloppy as a teen but, by God, it was fun :)
Loved the Beatles Clip.Ringo was Rockin Hard,especially during I Saw Her Standing There.He gets a lot of undeserved crap about his playng abilities.I'm keepin this clip as proof to the contrary.Simply Great!

fat in the middle

Well what makes a good drummer is also their creativity.

Listen to some prog rock or prog metal and everything sounds complex in moderation and everything still flows and still sounds good.

I'm not denying that my opinion might seem to other people as biased, I refuse to listen to mainstream music.

...to me playing a money beat is like a guitar player playing a one-chord blues.
One chord blues opens up the band to explore harmonically to places where the conventional 12 bar can cause stagnation. Repeating is what causes trance like states, and that is where music can be lifted to great heights. Money beats are hard, as there are so many different currencies in this world.

Skulmoski

Gold Member

I have been thinking about this a bit more,and perhaps another difference is that advanced drummers are more likely to be innovative and creative. For example, they come up with new rhythms: John Bonham's "8 Sticks" or "Fool in the Rain" come to mind (did he listen to Bernard Purdy?).

GJS

nocTurnal

Loved the Beatles Clip.Ringo was Rockin Hard,especially during I Saw Her Standing There.He gets a lot of undeserved crap about his playng abilities.I'm keepin this clip as proof to the contrary.Simply Great!
Yeah, ususally from people who know nothing about music. It's called dumb predjudice and it spreads like a virus. I think people just like something to make fun of, and Ringo unfortunately has been a target for a long time. It makes people feel good to put down others even if they have no clue what they are saying. Now, if drummers say that about Ringo... then they are either really young, or they're just plain ignorant. The fact is, Ringo Starr is one of the most influential drummers of all time. He had a great influence on a wide range of drummers such as Phil Collins, Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Dave Grohl, etc. Most rock bands just want a drummer who can play in the style of Ringo (simple but highly effective).