In with both feet!

sumdrumguy

After a 10 year hiatus from playing (new baby), I am jumping back in with both feet. I have an audition with a well established local band in early April.

Of the 55 songs on their current playlist, there were only 8 that I had never heard. Many of the others I have played before. Many times.

The playlist has become the background music of my life. I am charting all of the songs - even the one's I am familiar with - and shedding each day. A balance of playing to the songs, and locking in my time with a metronome.

I had forgotten how enlivening playing was... IS! Such a powerful change in my mind/heart.

Re the audition, there has been no mention yet of specific songs. We will be connecting again in the week prior to confirm, so I expect that may come then.

I have a healthy balance of anxiousness, and excitement at the prospect of playing with others again. Hopefully I can keep everything in balance on the day.

Any advice re preparation?

mikel

Platinum Member
They should tell you ASAP the songs they want to go trough at the audition, its only fair. It would give you time to firm up the numbers rather than you touching on 55 songs.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Ask for a list of 5 songs.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Any advice re preparation?

First off, congratulations on your upcoming audition and welcome to the forum.

If you do an (advanced) search for thread titles and use audition advice as a keyword....there's a ton of great advice already written in numerous topics. Just pick the threads titles that grab your attention and all you gotta do is read, it's already there.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Its cool reading about people who have been away and then coming back into playing music.

I don't have any advice on what to do to further your preparation, but what I usually do is get all the songs into my iPod and then when I go to bed, I'm listening to the song lists. Something happens subconsciously to me when I fall asleep listening to stuff - I seem to learn it alot faster. Of course, if it's a reading gig, then I'll just read whatever they put in front of me and go for it, but usually in the cover bands I get a list and go listen to the songs I'm not familiar with.

mikel

Platinum Member
I disagree. If you really want the gig, learn the whole playlist. Most other drummers won't.

I disagree, there is no way they will go through 55 songs in one audition. Ask them what songs they want to go through so you can nail them properly. If they like you and ask about the rest of the song list you can tell them the truth, you know most of them and If you get the gig you can soon firm up the few you dont know.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I disagree, there is no way they will go through 55 songs in one audition. Ask them what songs they want to go through so you can nail them properly. If they like you and ask about the rest of the song list you can tell them the truth, you know most of them and If you get the gig you can soon firm up the few you dont know.
Exactly, it's an audition, not a lifetime quest! Ask for 5 songs, then maybe learn another few to allow for a fun / extended audition. 55 songs - no way, unless I already had the gig.

bigiainw

Gold Member
To be fair, any band worth their salt isn't going to expect 55 songs down before the audition. When you get their list of what they want you to do for the audition, make sure that they clarify what version of a song they mean. Turning up playing the Nirvana version of Smells like teen spirit, when they play the Paul Anka version is probably somewhere you don't need to go....

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Sounds like one of my first auditions. We basically went through the songs on their demo tape and just tried a few more at the audition, but I also had to go to the first gig days after and play all of it with no rehearsals.

It's doable, but nothing will really stick completely with so little time.

Getting a gig usually, as long as you can play the material and make it feel good, is about many other things.

sumdrumguy

Thanks to all for the input so far.

I do plan on firming up audition songs when we speak again the week before. If I were less familiar with songs I would ask sooner, but overall I feel good about the material. I have played a lot of the songs with other bands before. So it has been a case of blowing out the cobwebs on those.

Bigianw, re versions of songs. Yes. They have been very clear on the versions of each song they cover. Each title had the name of the artist beside it. Very helpful.

In addition to creating my own playlist of those versions, I have also collected live examples of the artists playing the songs (thank you Youtube!). Lots of listening and watching, and charting and playing.

Thanks again for the input, and encouragement.