In Studio footage/new song by Pass of Era!!

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Hey Andy...and everybody else,

My band Pass of Era just finished recording a batch of two songs that are accompanied by footage of us recording them in studio (erm-basement)! These are two stand alone tracks that sadly will not be featured on any upcoming album but are online releases only.

Here's the first song entitled "Prey" http://www.reverbnation.com/passofera

...along with the video recorded in HD!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFp4ytCN-b4&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Please listen and let me know what you think!!

If you liked what you heard, we recently released an EP entitled the scripted dream. To download or order (for free!!) please head over to http://thescripteddream.com/

-Jonathan

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm rushing around super busy right now, so this will be a two part reply.

Prey - I didn't get the video. I just can't see what you're shooting for with this. I like the song, but it doesn't grab me & shake me up. Strong riff, & a few nice hooks, but I'm left with the impression there's a lot more to give. Drumming's great as usual, but on this occasion, that's not enough. Sorry to sound harsh, but that's just how it feels to me.

No shell is empty - Ok, now we're cooking. I love almost everything about this song. Great vibe & stunning drumming. Almost as if it's a different band. Lovely rhymical vocal hook to the verse. Chorus works well too, but I thought a bit of guitar power chord would have added drama behind the keys. Odd ending, but it fits the vibe.

I'll have to get to the rest later. Maybe the video distracted me on Prey, I'll give it another few plays audio only.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Terrific band, Jonathan! Fine musicianship all-round. You were solid as a rock, handled all sorts of tricky changes clean as a whistle, always supportive and strong with some tasteful flash. I knew you were a strong player after the Tool cover but I didn't know you were this good!

Like Andy, I preferred the tracks on Reverbnation to the YouTube number. Still, there were parts of every song that I really enjoyed.

An interesting mix of styles and approaches, originality and cliché. One minute you're almost like AM pop, next it's way out there (that's when I had the most fun), the next minute it's straight metal, then metal mixed with pop, etc.

You don't sound like anyone ... maybe a bit reminiscent of Project RnL on Valium at times ... which is still pretty full-on :)

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
The bane of many an amazing band, such as yourselves, is the production stage of recording.

But first, let me reiterate how great you guys are at your instruments: You're good. You're no Dream Theater, but you guys know your ways around your instruments, and I'd like to see a little more solid proof of that.

The writing was good, but again, it has potential that hasn't been unlocked yet. Songs can be riff-based and still sound good, but it takes some special magic that no one can identify to make that happen if it's a simple riff. That's not your case, but it could be improved.

The production is where you guys could most easily improve the sound. A lot of bands discount this part of putting out an album, particularly groups that have to record and mix their own tapes. This is a huge problem because of how it influences non-musician listeners, and even a lot of the musicians as well. From what I heard of Prey and No Shell is Empty, the vocals could do with a dash of reverb to take it out of what sounds like a very small dead-room. In sections that the vocals are over the instruments, the instruments aren't coming through quite enough. I'd like to hear more of the bass guitar and make the instrumental tracks less of an accompinament and more of a full part of the band, when it comes to production.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, got a bit of space to hear the other tracks. First up, may I take this opportunity to say how impressed I am with any band that writes their own body of material, especially when it's of this complexity. Kudos to all of you.

Of course, producing & mastering material of this complexity is a big ask on a self financed budget. It's not as if you're mastering 6 straight riff based rock tunes. This is difficult stuff to get right.

There are some mastering things that cry out for improvement, the vocals being the main one. I also agree that there's a ton of potential locked up in these numbers & this band. The standout track for me is "Blessed & Guilty". Not only the best vocal performance/capture by far, it's also the song with the most potential. A great chorus hook that's just not exploited to the full. This could be a really big track, a world class track IMO.

The one constant is your drumming. Really spot on stuff. Great skill, great time, & appropriate with just the right amount of flair. You're a great player, of that I have no doubt. Again, mastering and balance with the bass isn't quite right. You've got really good sounding drums, but they're not coming across as crisp as they should. Nor am I picking up the timbres of your instrument. To compound that, the bass is too low on most of the material. I'm not getting that pulse, & I should be. This smacks of being mixed on big impressive speakers to me. So often a temptation to get the best possible sound experience on the day, but the brutal fact remains, most people will listen to this over a crappy system or through earbuds via mp3. I checked the tracks through some really good cans, & although I'm getting more of the bottom end, I'm still not getting crisp bottom end.

Jonathan, please take into acount here that I'm offering this critique from a point of total admiration, & with a real sense that there's so much potential locked up here. Not just that, I'm judging your band recording against big budget pro stuff, because that's where you deserve to be. As it is, it's a very pleasant & highly competent listen, & especially impressive as an "own production". As this isn't a demo, your putting it out there, &, aside from those who know your band, it'll be compared to high budget stuff. They won't care how it was produced, they'll just compare.

I wish you luck with this, but I really look forward to the day when you guys step out of the shadows. I'd love you to do an arrangement, production & mastering job on "Blessed & Guilty". That song's the one for me, given the treatment.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
I'm rushing around super busy right now, so this will be a two part reply.

Prey - I didn't get the video. I just can't see what you're shooting for with this. I like the song, but it doesn't grab me & shake me up. Strong riff, & a few nice hooks, but I'm left with the impression there's a lot more to give. Drumming's great as usual, but on this occasion, that's not enough. Sorry to sound harsh, but that's just how it feels to me.

No shell is empty - Ok, now we're cooking. I love almost everything about this song. Great vibe & stunning drumming. Almost as if it's a different band. Lovely rhymical vocal hook to the verse. Chorus works well too, but I thought a bit of guitar power chord would have added drama behind the keys. Odd ending, but it fits the vibe.

I'll have to get to the rest later. Maybe the video distracted me on Prey, I'll give it another few plays audio only.
It's not harsh at all, Thanks for your input! The "point of the video was just to document what recording a song is like for us. (those were all the actual takes :) ). Glad you enjoyed No Shell, thanks for taking the time to listen to it all!

Terrific band, Jonathan! Fine musicianship all-round. You were solid as a rock, handled all sorts of tricky changes clean as a whistle, always supportive and strong with some tasteful flash. I knew you were a strong player after the Tool cover but I didn't know you were this good!

Like Andy, I preferred the tracks on Reverbnation to the YouTube number. Still, there were parts of every song that I really enjoyed.

An interesting mix of styles and approaches, originality and cliché. One minute you're almost like AM pop, next it's way out there (that's when I had the most fun), the next minute it's straight metal, then metal mixed with pop, etc.

You don't sound like anyone ... maybe a bit reminiscent of Project RnL on Valium at times ... which is still pretty full-on :)
Thank you so much Polly, you're too kind! Again thanks for taking the time to listen to some of our other stuff as well!

The bane of many an amazing band, such as yourselves, is the production stage of recording.

But first, let me reiterate how great you guys are at your instruments: You're good. You're no Dream Theater, but you guys know your ways around your instruments, and I'd like to see a little more solid proof of that.

The writing was good, but again, it has potential that hasn't been unlocked yet. Songs can be riff-based and still sound good, but it takes some special magic that no one can identify to make that happen if it's a simple riff. That's not your case, but it could be improved.

The production is where you guys could most easily improve the sound. A lot of bands discount this part of putting out an album, particularly groups that have to record and mix their own tapes. This is a huge problem because of how it influences non-musician listeners, and even a lot of the musicians as well. From what I heard of Prey and No Shell is Empty, the vocals could do with a dash of reverb to take it out of what sounds like a very small dead-room. In sections that the vocals are over the instruments, the instruments aren't coming through quite enough. I'd like to hear more of the bass guitar and make the instrumental tracks less of an accompinament and more of a full part of the band, when it comes to production.
I'm not sure how to take the Dream Theater comment, since on the production side of things they're quite lacking (IMO) but they are quite proficient musicians (as they demonstrate in every song). Seeing as this is a two song internet only release, we didn't feel it necessary to blow a huge amount of money on mixing, especially since we are more than happy with what we are able to get (mixing is damn hard!). I assure you there is reverb, but it may be getting lost in the mix, I shall look into this, thanks. Thanks for listening and responding!

I'm sorry that everyone is getting stuck on the mixing and production of some of the songs, we are after all only a small time band with limited resources and experience in the matter. Fortunately however, the only place to go from here is up, and in listening back to some of our unreleased, super-early recordings I think we are headed in that general direction. :)

Again thanks to those of you who have responded so far, and the 112 or so of you who have checked out the thread (but not the video, since the numbers don't match up. lol)

-Jonathan