In Praise of Cheap Pedals

braincramp

Gold Member
I had a PULSE double pedal that I used for years.. double chain and built like a tank.. great pedal that pops up once in awhile on ebay for 50-75 bucks. I also had the Pulse hi hat stand that was extremely well built also.

I bought a 50/60's "Ghost" pedal (Ludwig had bought Ghost out at some point so two types of Ghost pedals, Pre and Post Ludwig…) and attached it to my 24" kick and memories of my first drum kit came back…When I was just starting out, Led Zepplin 1st album was out and amazing…With my old kick peddle back then I was able to do Bass triplets very easily as compared to modern day pedals…Massive difference in feel and ability to "feather"…Ghost great name and reflective of this piece of vintage hardware...

gconyers

I realize that this thread is a few years old, but I just picked up a used Yamaha FP6110A Strap Drive Kick Pedal for $20 CAD.

It isn't the most sturdy feeling pedal when you hold it in your hands, but it's smooth as hell and plays great, even compared to my $180 Yamaha direct drive and DW5000. Highly recommended.

DaleClark

My main kit has a DW 5000 double pedal. For my Yamaha electronic drums, I purchased (on sale $79) DW 2000 a few years back. To be honest, I could be perfectly happy with the 2000. It's built like a tank and feels just as good as the 5000 and better than my old Speed king. I think entry level gear is soooo much better today.

Soulfinger

I realize that this thread is a few years old, but I just picked up a used Yamaha FP6110A Strap Drive Kick Pedal for $20 CAD.

It isn't the most sturdy feeling pedal when you hold it in your hands, but it's smooth as hell and plays great, even compared to my $180 Yamaha direct drive and DW5000. Highly recommended.
My experience exactly. My main pedal is a Yamaha direct drive as well, but I recently picked up two 6110 strap drives for 50 € and they are fantastic. My old FP750 (chain drive) is excellent too, but strap and direct drives feel better to me.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I have a Pulse pedal that has just as much adjustability as any higher name brand. It's heavy, solid & a great workhorse for my needs.

Same goes for the hi hat stands. 0 issues.

Fritz Frigursson

I have a DW2000 that I don't really like because no matter how much I fiddle with the spring tension and beater angle, I can't seem to get a good double stroke. I can do it with a 20 dollar crap pedal they have at my music school but not on my 90 dollar DW? I can't seem to find the problem here.

Maybe getting a Iron Cobra or a better pedal will help?