In Praise of All the Reggae Drummers,,,

No Way Jose

Silver Member
We be jammin.

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
Yes well there is a wealth of cultural music coming from Calypso all the way through Ska, Blue Beat, Rocksteady, Reggae Lovers Rock , Dub and so forth . Studio One,Black Ark Studio's and other great contributors to the form.Toasting and Rapping could be seen to be spin offs of these songs. Do some research into it guys , you will see if you scratch through the surface that the songs we mostly know are covers of songs written by talented Originators. One Step Beyond, Rudy, A message to You. just a couple of examples. I just think that a great form of Drumming and Rhythm goes unnoticed and such an original cultural form deserves more credit.

Last edited:

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Not a lot of love for the genre in general anymore, but all of what you said above apply. On the surface reggae seems very simple to play too, but when you dig in, it requires a ton of independence and polyrhythms aren quite common.

Thank you for the reminder. I’ve been looking to add music to my practice set. Haven’t played reggae in a while, so digging up the old reggae CDs is exactly what I shall do.

Mustion

What, no Soca?

You mean Tommy Igoe, "pee pee soup" soca? Or the modern type you hear today?

Go to the West Indies and you find all kinds of nice styles besides Reggae: Soca, Calypso, Chutney, Shango, Castillian, Zouk, Kompa, Beguine...

TMe

You mean Tommy Igoe, "pee pee soup" soca? Or the modern type you hear today?

"Pee pee soup"? That doesn't sound very appetizing. I don't get that reference at all.

I loved Soca back in the day, but most Soca music I come across now is just vocals over electronics. I guess that's true of most music. Can you suggest some bands (with real musicians) for me to check out?

Mustion

"Pee pee soup"? That doesn't sound very appetizing. I don't get that reference at all.
Yeah kinda gross. It's an onomatopoetic way Tommy Igoe described the hi-hat of (overly simplified) soca drumming in one of his instructional videos, "pee pee" being the two eighth notes on the closed hat, "soup" being the open hat quarter that follows.