In need of a china

The Big Beat

Well, the time has come to expand my cymbal selection. I need a china, and not just any china, but an awesome china. I want a very versatile one, that can explode for metal, or could just be an accent in softer settings. i would like to stay within Paiste, but im open to other suggestions. I was looking at the 2002 Nova China, and if anyone has it give me a heads up on it.
Thanks

One more thing-NO ZILDJIAN!!!

D

DSCRAPRE

Why no Zildjian? Their Oriental Series is renown for it's chinas.

But, Wuhans are usually recommended as they are two things:

1. The standard china used by everybody and their brother.

and

2. Cheap

scoreking81

I personally HATE the oriental zildjian chinas, I think they are shit. I think that a
sabian paragon 19" china
Sabian aa metal-x 18"china
Sabian Aaxtreme China
I actually dont own any sabian cymbals but these are my favorite chinas i have tried also wuhans are my favorite over most everything and they are dirt cheap

The Big Beat

Thanks guys. No zildjians because I don't like any zildjians at all. And I already tried the paragon and aax and didn't really like them. I'll look into the wuhans

Wolvie56

Well, a china is supposed to sound trashy and loud, right? So I really don't understand why anyone would pay nearly $300.00 for a Paragon, or around $250.00 for a Metal-X when you can get a Wuhan for $30.00 to $60.00 depending on the size, unless your able to wipe your butt with $20.00 bills, then more power to you. Take a 20" Wuhan, drill 10 holes evenly spaced, insert brass rivets, and you then nearly have a Paragon Diamondback and saved yourself $250.00 bucks. Go with Wuhan. Best bang for your buck.

The Big Beat

Yea I'll prob go with Wuhan 16 or 18. One question, being incredibly cheap won't it crack or break relatively easily

muckypops

Yea I'll prob go with Wuhan 16 or 18. One question, being incredibly cheap won't it crack or break relatively easily
Probably, but you can get 5 of these for the price of one of the others. Actually you don't have to hit it hard at all to get it to sound super loud so if you play it right I don't think it'll break. Beat the hell out of it and I don't think it'll last very long :)

D

DSCRAPRE

I've heard that they do tend to break somewhat easily. However, as a china, sometimes those cracks may add to the desired trashy sound.

Wolvie56

Naw, not relay. Just mount them upside down (logo facing the floor), angle them toward you at about a 30 degree angle, don't tighten the wing nut really hard, strike it with the shoulder of your stick on the hump of the cymbal with a glancing blow, and it should last for a long time. Having said all that, each cymbal is hand hammered and is unique in itself, so you may get unlucky and get a weak, or bad one but I doubt it.

Florian

Gold Member
I play Sabian primarily, but have found that Paiste makes a nice china in the 20 series. Currently I play a Paiste 14" and a 18" Thin china and the attack is great, but you can play it soft for lesser effects.

F

jodgey4

Silver Member
I'd probably go with a 20" china, either RUDE or 2002, also the Twenty series would be less extreme but more versatile, listen to some on youtubes or Paiste.com

theindian

Paiste 2002 china's are beautiful. You can find a used one on ebay for around $150. If you are serious about adding a nice cymbal to your sound, I would go with a pro-level(ie. expensive) china. If you play metal or just want to have an occasional effect, a very trashy cymbal like a Wuhan will work.

I feel like its a mis-conception that china's have to be loud, trashy and generally sound like crap. It can be a really cool cymbal to have if used creatively, dynamicly, & appropriately. I have 18" & 22" 2002's & a 18" Wuhan. All have their uses but my 22" is super dark & tough to excite. Probably my favorite cymbal.

T

thatguykalem

I was going to ask this same question tonight.

So, in terms of Hardcore and Metal playing, would a Wuhan China work?

scoreking81

Naw, not relay. Just mount them upside down (logo facing the floor), angle them toward you at about a 30 degree angle, don't tighten the wing nut really hard, strike it with the shoulder of your stick on the hump of the cymbal with a glancing blow, and it should last for a long time. Having said all that, each cymbal is hand hammered and is unique in itself, so you may get unlucky and get a weak, or bad one but I doubt it.
not true, i cracked my wuhan splash in the first 5 minutes i played it, i cracked my wuhan china in the first week, and my other wuhan china in a month

dwdrummerky

I may be one of the few that abosolutely loathe wuhan chinas. They certainly are trashy and cheap, and if you are on a budget they will get you by. I look at China cymbals just as I do the rest of my cymbal set, they must blend and sound like a family together. To me, Wuhans always stick out like a sore thumb sonically from the rest, and not in that "contrasting" or "interesting" aspect. A few that I can reccomend are...
-20" HHX
-Istanbul Agop or Mehmet 20" Traditional
-20-22" 2oo2
-Paiste Twenty
-20" HH Dark
All the rest are Zil Oriental Classic or K series.

The Big Beat

Paiste 2002 china's are beautiful. You can find a used one on ebay for around $150. If you are serious about adding a nice cymbal to your sound, I would go with a pro-level(ie. expensive) china. If you play metal or just want to have an occasional effect, a very trashy cymbal like a Wuhan will work.

I feel like its a mis-conception that china's have to be loud, trashy and generally sound like crap. It can be a really cool cymbal to have if used creatively, dynamicly, & appropriately. I have 18" & 22" 2002's & a 18" Wuhan. All have their uses but my 22" is super dark & tough to excite. Probably my favorite cymbal.
thanks, after some more serious investigating into the wuhans, I found alot of complaints about premature breakage. That, coupled with the sound clips I've heard have eliminated the Wuhan chinas from my candidates list. So I'm gonna look into the paistes some more.

drummerfluff

I use the Sabian AA 18" and it seems to have a good balance between explosive cut and subtle accent. However, if you don't like the AAX you might not like the AA either.

Hope it helped!

Fluff out

PaisteTim

If you are looking for a versatile china, the Twenty line and the 2002s are a great place to look. These cymbals can be played loud or soft to suit your musical needs.
There are lots of good chinas out there, but few that can do more than one thing.

Happy listening,
Tim