In honor of Dr. Watso

I too enjoy photography. Unfortunately life got so busy that I haven't spent enough time doing it. I'm going to change that.

Is this lyrical, eloquent paragraph all your own work, sir? There isn't a sarcastic syllable in it.

Heh. It wasn't meant to be lyrical, certainly not eloquent, but it did come from my head. I understand I didn't deliver with the sarcasm and will work on that in the future.

Love the photos.I'm a bit of a shutter bug myself.I still prefer 35 MM film to digital and my Canon A-1 and Nikon F-3 to anything out there.

I also love cats,and think the're smarter than most people I've met,and definately more honest.

Steve B

Photo's are indeed very cool, & shows that a personal & deep understanding lies behind the self ascending status bluster we all wish we could get away with.

Thanks, KIS. Nobody has ever accused me of a "personal and deep understanding" of anything! Usually I like to just understand enough to be a smart-ass on most subjects.

Those photos are stunning.... Wow.....

Thanks! Almost all CA and AZ in those shots as that's where most of my hikes and backpack trips have ended up. The credit has to go to the earth, though, as all I'm doing is paying attention to the light and shapes that already exist and framing them!

I too enjoy photography. Unfortunately life got so busy that I haven't spent enough time doing it. I'm going to change that.

If those photos have any part in making you get back out there, I'm honored! I need to get out there more as well. Balance is the hard part. Got any shots online I can check out?

Last edited:
+1.But awesome photographs.
Right on!

More Questions:
Do you like movies about gladiators?
Sure. I think it's a shame we don't still feed people to lions when they get out of line. People got all "PC" and now it's apparently some type of issue.

Was Buddy Rich correct when he said, "a drum is a drum is a drum"?
I guess so. I have two kits(3 counting the e-kit), and neither is "top o' the line". Each drum has it's own voices and colors to play with, and I'm no stranger to working with crap gear. For the first half of my learning to drum years the snare was propped on an old box for a fertilizer spray and the cymbals were all cracked and set on random house-hold items that were about the size of a cymbal stand. Parts from lamps, old broken music stands. Only "real" stand was the hats.

Love the photos.I'm a bit of a shutter bug myself.I still prefer 35 MM film to digital and my Canon A-1
I know what you mean about the film and real prints. Superior. I can fondly remember hand-rolling my own film 15 years ago in dark-bags not being able to see what I was doing. Fun stuff. What really cinched the change over for me, though, is the preview. Especially in low-light situations, I can get a lot of shots to work that would have been hard to gauge back in the old days; and you didn't know if you got all your settings right until you got back to the dark-room.

Now I can take a shot with my guess, see how it came out exposure-wise, and adjust on-the-spot.

and Nikon F-3 to anything out there.
My father had/has and F-3. I used it most of the way through school and it was a joy to operate. Never gave a single problem. I still have my own old F-M with a mess of nice glass, but all my digital stuff is Pentax.

I also love cats,and think the're smarter than most people I've met,and definately more honest.
I think this thread should turn into: "why cats are so much better than dogs".

I think this thread should turn into: "why cats are so much better than dogs".

That's a HUGE pile of ugliness just waiting to happen. Personally I like both, have owned both, and enjoy them each for different reasons. Currently I only have dogs, as my wife is allergic to cats.

Yea, well, KIS was talking about Terriers, which is obviously an attempt to start up the whole "big dogs vs. small dogs" debate.

I'll fan the cat-dog flames!

A dog looks at his human and says, "He provides shelter, food, affection and doctoring when needed. He must be like God."

The cat looks at his human and says, "He provides shelter, food, affection and doctoring when needed. I must be like God."

I'm a dog man, myself; but will agree that most cats seem to be smarter than most dogs. maybe that's why I identify better with dogs - we're on equal footing!

Yea, well, KIS was talking about Terriers, which is obviously an attempt to start up the whole "big dogs vs. small dogs" debate.

I have both.

Big dog to scare away people.

Small terrier to scare away vermin.

And a 3rd dog just to keep the other two entertained.

Film cameras vs. digital cameras. Black-and-white vs. colour. Etc.

Personally? I'm a luddite. I like the feel of a real shutter.

My digital camera has a real shutter. It works almost exactly like a 35mm, except it's a digital sensor behind the mirror instead of film. In fact, the sensor can actually physically move with magnets to compensate for hand-shakiness. I easily get a few extra hand-held stops out of it.

No debate attempt intended, but bring it on if that's what y'all want :) Actually, I like terriers because of their generally shitty/mischievous attitude, wit, & tenacity. Thinking about it, you might make the terrier grade Watso, if you weren't such a pussy wus!

I'm completely onboard with the idea of digital photography. I'm a total amateur so it is very much a hobby and as a result don't have the cash to put on a Canon 6D (or a 5D with the lenses). I got into film because cameras and lenses were relatively cheap and it made me really learn. I learned with an old Pentax K2 that belonged to my Uncle but now it's Prakticas and a Pentax.

I do rather enjoy it but I'm rather rusty. It's been a while!

No debate attempt intended, but bring it on if that's what y'all want :) Actually, I like terriers because of their generally shitty/mischievous attitude, wit, & tenacity. Thinking about it, you might make the terrier grade Watso, if you weren't such a pussy wus!

THIS is true. IF DW members were a breed, Watso may well be a terrier.

Back