Hannah Ford

You're right, it's a "scuzzy phrase" because it refers to those of you that have to come in and show just how virtuous you are

No, I respond to obvious misogynist stuff when I see it, and it's a scuzzy phrase I've seen used a thousand times on line by incel types picking on women for being women, who don't want anyone else objecting to it. They're comfortable beating up on women, they're not comfortable dealing with men.

That you have an entire canned rant fired up says I identified you accurately. I've seen the exact same stuff a thousand times.

and in doing so shows how you believe women are too weak to speak up for themselves. It actually makes you the misogynist.

It shows nothing of the kind.

Don't believe me? Ask my 3 daughters. Or better yet, ask Dora. (@Doraemon). She makes the point very clear right here:
https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/where-did-it-go.181887/post-1935753

I'm not interested in what you say they say.

I think that was a little different topic. But this one is also weird, because I watched the video, and it's only about drumming and Prince, it's not a dramatic documentary about her overcoming gender problems, nothing like that is even remotely mentioned, so why stir up all that using her?
Has anyone else bothered to watch the video btw? She's an amazing drummer, I'm glad I found this.
Perhaps that was my fault. It wasn’t my intention to bring up any of that sexist stuff, just that I remember over ten years ago when I discovered her on YouTube, a lot of people jumped on the “good for a girl” bandwagon which I never agreed with. So now after all this time when the internet went silent on her because she started working with Prince, I thought I’d bring her up again because it’s well-deserved. She tells her story of how she got the gig and that’s very cool. It was not my intention to say the interview was of her dealing with any sexism. But, if people take it that way, then obviously it’s still a problem for some people. And I don’t mind trolling that if it helps others deal with their personal issues 😉

Last edited:
If that is the case, then I sincerely apologize to you for misreading it. As @Stroman said, you can certainly inject some controversy into a thread and I took it as the case again this time. I didn't see any other reason for bringing up the "sexist stuff" other than to troll, and again I apologize if I was wrong <that happens a lot.

I extend that apology to the rest of the members of the forum reading this................with, of course, one exception.
That's the fun of the internet. Since "tone" and "facial expression" are absent, the reader is left with his/her own feelings on how to interpret what was said. Part of me is trolling just because I know that this is what happens, so I almost can say, "well, you decided if I was trolling or not, so it's not my fault you're upset" , but I really just wanted to bring up Hannah again because we haven't spoken about her for years now (especially since she started working with Prince), and I think she's a really good player who deserves to be who she is. I've read interviews from past Prince band members and they all generally said he was a good guy to work for, but it was hard work. Wendy Melvoin spoke about rehearsing for 10-12 hours a day and really getting the music and the choreography right, and in their case, it worked. So I would think stepping in to work with the purple guy is not a walk in the park for anybody. So to be good enough is one thing, then to have the temperament to deal with everything else that doesn't involve playing the music, seems like a whole other ball of string to deal with. So kudos to Mrs. Welton!

EDIT: you'd think she'd have gotten more coverage about this, then, say, all the videos and drama about who would replace Mike Portnoy in Dream Theater..... ;)

Now that you mention it I'm thinking hmm?..all the Prince drummers that exited for whatever reason just sorta faded away. I'm thinking of as many as I know and they just fell off the earth. This makes me think that the 🌎 might just be flat. Prince drummers just takin a walk..sippin a coke thinking about a next move when all of a sudden..hey..where is such and such. Hannah!..can you hear! us...were going for help!..stay put!. Hannah!?...oh Shi-. This ain't good boys.

I wasn’t aware of her until this thread; great drummer. And she gave birth to her fourth child this week, so congrats. Finding time for regular drumming with a young family can be tough!

I have about a 10-minute window once I start grooving before my 2-year-old comes downstairs and interrupts me. All my kids have been like that.

You're right, it's a "scuzzy phrase" because it refers to those of you that have to come in and show just how virtuous you are and in doing so shows how you believe women are too weak to speak up for themselves. It actually makes you the misogynist.
Women are more than capable of speaking up for themselves, as they have been on a regular basis especially in the last few years. And when someone does speak out against sexism, you can consider me their ally. If that makes me a "white knight" to you then so be it. Granted that wasn't quite the case this time, I was merely giving my opinion on the subject matter presented at the beginning of the thread, as well as my own experience on social media relating to it. I really meant no harm, nor did I want to stir up any drama.

Lol, so you decide what her story is about - instead of listening to it. 🧐
Hannah said in this interview that "there are misogynists everywhere in the music industry", do you really think she isn't speaking from experience there? I think it's naive to think that having to deal with those kinds of people wasn't something she had to go through in her career. Obviously I don't know Hannah, I can't speak for her, so that's really as much as I have to say with regards to that aspect of her "story".

Has anyone else bothered to watch the video btw? She's an amazing drummer, I'm glad I found this.
Yes, it's incredible! I hope if this thread continues to get attention, it might at least result in more people watching Hannah's Drumeo vid.

@Drummerrobin, nobody in this thread is being naive and nobody has said Hannah Welton hasn’t faced the struggles of being a woman in the industry. Why can’t someone just say that Hannah is an amazing drummer?

Solo wasn’t even addressing Hannah in his post. He was commenting on the OP, who has now freely admitted to trolling (and enjoying it), not only on this thread, but in general. He (Solo) predicted what would happen, and as sure as the sun rises and sets, it happened.

Again, Hannah Welton is an amazing, world class drummer, PERIOD. That should be the point of this thread. FFS… 🙄

Maybe its only complex because those that want to perpetuate it make it complex.

Feel free to post your manifesto, which will be vehemently disagreed with by 30-70% of women lol.

Feminists disagree on about as much as they agree on. Trying to change that is pointless. Life includes irreducible complexity. Ideologies try to obscure that fact, but it is a fact.

@Drummerrobin, nobody in this thread is being naive and nobody has said Hannah Welton hasn’t faced the struggles of being a woman in the industry.
I never said anyone here was trying to claim that. My point was that if one was to claim that, it would be naive. The comment was not directed at anyone here and I should have been more clear about that, my apologies.

Why can’t someone just say that Hannah is an amazing drummer?
Several people have said that in this thread, two of who didn't engage in the discussion on sexism. So I don't think it's really fair to say no one has.

I think it would probably be good for everyone to admit that sexism is a complex topic, and that no one has a complete lock on the ins and outs of it. Lol
It might be in some cases but I really don't think there's anything complex about condemning a "she's good for a girl" comment aimed at a female drummer. I don't understand why people here would find such a condemnation controversial.

If Hannah Ford should be considered a drummer (which she should..) and not a ‘female’ drummer, the whole ‘remember those female drummer discussions..?’-text that introduced the video should have been left away…

No one posts a video from Art Blakey and saying..: remember how much the black people got discriminated at that time..?

Or a video from Nate Smith and saying..: anyone forgot how much black people still get discriminated nowadays..?

Unless someone wants to start (or can at least expect) a discussion about black people getting discriminated, that is……….

Tonight after a few Ipa's I'm going to say it then run for cover. I'll start by saying it this way to test the waters. Hannah talented?..oh ya..Prince knows what he wanted. If Tommy Lee auditioned and he was more to the Princes liking..just saying..is it not OK for Prince to have thought..shes talented #1..shes pretty which helps no?..and she's super easy to get along with. Isn't being nice to look at part of show business?. I'm trying to walk on eggshells here. I'm now going to watch (this) video but I've seen one of her being interviewed about the gig. I just don't think Prince heard a recording of Hannah and said ya..they sound great..hire him/her. Sometimes like it or not the package is better than a section of it. I'm gonna get my butt kicked for this and possibly ostrisized but I think Hannah being a female was a big plus. I just think it's cool to see a a petite little chick up there handling business like a complete madman...mad (person). I'm scared to push reply but here goes. 😨.

Tonight after a few Ipa's I'm going to say it then run for cover. I'll start by saying it this way to test the waters. Hannah talented?..oh ya..Prince knows what he wanted. If Tommy Lee auditioned and he was more to the Princes liking..just saying..is it not OK for Prince to have thought..shes talented #1..shes pretty which helps no?..and she's super easy to get along with. Isn't being nice to look at part of show business?. I'm trying to walk on eggshells here. I'm now going to watch (this) video but I've seen one of her being interviewed about the gig. I just don't think Prince heard a recording of Hannah and said ya..they sound great..hire him/her. Sometimes like it or not the package is better than a section of it. I'm gonna get my butt kicked for this and possibly ostrisized but I think Hannah being a female was a big plus. I just think it's cool to see a a petite little chick up there handling business like a complete madman...mad (person). I'm scared to push reply but here goes. 😨.
I mean, the band was called 3rdEyeGirl and all the members Prince hired were women, so yeah, gender played a role.

Now what are we supposed to do with that stick of dynamite? 😉

Back