In case everyone forgot about her....

@Drummerrobin, nobody in this thread is being naive and nobody has said Hannah Welton hasn’t faced the struggles of being a woman in the industry.
I never said anyone here was trying to claim that. My point was that if one was to claim that, it would be naive. The comment was not directed at anyone here and I should have been more clear about that, my apologies.

Why can’t someone just say that Hannah is an amazing drummer?
Several people have said that in this thread, two of who didn't engage in the discussion on sexism. So I don't think it's really fair to say no one has.

I think it would probably be good for everyone to admit that sexism is a complex topic, and that no one has a complete lock on the ins and outs of it. Lol
It might be in some cases but I really don't think there's anything complex about condemning a "she's good for a girl" comment aimed at a female drummer. I don't understand why people here would find such a condemnation controversial.

Ronzo

Gonna get flamed for this but…misogynist exist. Zero doubt of that!
So do women who leverage the victim card to demonize men.
Hanna is a class act and a damn gifted drummer.
I judge people on the content of their character period!

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
If Hannah Ford should be considered a drummer (which she should..) and not a ‘female’ drummer, the whole ‘remember those female drummer discussions..?’-text that introduced the video should have been left away…

No one posts a video from Art Blakey and saying..: remember how much the black people got discriminated at that time..?

Or a video from Nate Smith and saying..: anyone forgot how much black people still get discriminated nowadays..?

Unless someone wants to start (or can at least expect) a discussion about black people getting discriminated, that is……….

Bozozoid

Gold Member
Tonight after a few Ipa's I'm going to say it then run for cover. I'll start by saying it this way to test the waters. Hannah talented?..oh ya..Prince knows what he wanted. If Tommy Lee auditioned and he was more to the Princes liking..just saying..is it not OK for Prince to have thought..shes talented #1..shes pretty which helps no?..and she's super easy to get along with. Isn't being nice to look at part of show business?. I'm trying to walk on eggshells here. I'm now going to watch (this) video but I've seen one of her being interviewed about the gig. I just don't think Prince heard a recording of Hannah and said ya..they sound great..hire him/her. Sometimes like it or not the package is better than a section of it. I'm gonna get my butt kicked for this and possibly ostrisized but I think Hannah being a female was a big plus. I just think it's cool to see a a petite little chick up there handling business like a complete madman...mad (person). I'm scared to push reply but here goes. 😨.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Tonight after a few Ipa's I'm going to say it then run for cover. I'll start by saying it this way to test the waters. Hannah talented?..oh ya..Prince knows what he wanted. If Tommy Lee auditioned and he was more to the Princes liking..just saying..is it not OK for Prince to have thought..shes talented #1..shes pretty which helps no?..and she's super easy to get along with. Isn't being nice to look at part of show business?. I'm trying to walk on eggshells here. I'm now going to watch (this) video but I've seen one of her being interviewed about the gig. I just don't think Prince heard a recording of Hannah and said ya..they sound great..hire him/her. Sometimes like it or not the package is better than a section of it. I'm gonna get my butt kicked for this and possibly ostrisized but I think Hannah being a female was a big plus. I just think it's cool to see a a petite little chick up there handling business like a complete madman...mad (person). I'm scared to push reply but here goes. 😨.
I mean, the band was called 3rdEyeGirl and all the members Prince hired were women, so yeah, gender played a role.

Now what are we supposed to do with that stick of dynamite? 😉

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
You're referring to a thread from over 10 years ago.

Pretty much everyone who made the negative comments you're referring to is long gone from this forum.

It's like stirring up the debate over Obama vs Mit Romey. Um, that ship sailed, a long, long time ago.

Stroman

Platinum Member
You're referring to a thread from over 10 years ago.

Pretty much everyone who made the negative comments you're referring to is long gone from this forum.

It's like stirring up the debate over Obama vs Mit Romey. Um, that ship sailed, a long, long time ago.
But you know that's Bo's m.o., right? Throw a twist of controversy or a bit of humble-brag in there to generate interest. It's kind of like click-bait. And it works, just like click-bait.

heartbeat

I just think it's cool to see a a petite little chick up there handling business like a complete madman...mad (person). I'm scared to push reply but here goes. 😨.
As a "petite little chick," thank you.

Hannah is an amazing drummer. I saw her at the Chicago Drum Show a few years ago, pushing one of her kids in a stroller and browsing the floor.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
If Hannah Ford should be considered a drummer (which she should..) and not a ‘female’ drummer, the whole ‘remember those female drummer discussions..?’-text that introduced the video should have been left away…

No one posts a video from Art Blakey and saying..: remember how much the black people got discriminated at that time..?

Or a video from Nate Smith and saying..: anyone forgot how much black people still get discriminated nowadays..?

Unless someone wants to start (or can at least expect) a discussion about black people getting discriminated, that is……….
One thing I will say (in an attempt to steer this conversation into a less fire-fueled, more intellectual discussion) is that in the music/musician community, in comparison with the general population (we'll go Western culture, more specifically American), Black musicians (or just POC musicians in general) were always treated better than they were by the general population. Musicians and bands were integrated before society was, and that was largely accepted. On the flip side, the treatment of women in the music/musician scene is actually *worse* than in the general population.

I think that's why your "flip this around" argument doesn't quite hold up, because musicians in their insular communities haven't really given a damn about race in decades, before most of us were born. But you definitely can't say the same thing for female musicians.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
One thing I will say (in an attempt to steer this conversation into a less fire-fueled, more intellectual discussion) is that in the music/musician community, in comparison with the general population (we'll go Western culture, more specifically American), Black musicians (or just POC musicians in general) were always treated better than they were by the general population. Musicians and bands were integrated before society was, and that was largely accepted. On the flip side, the treatment of women in the music/musician scene is actually *worse* than in the general population.

I think that's why your "flip this around" argument doesn't quite hold up, because musicians in their insular communities haven't really given a damn about race in decades, before most of us were born. But you definitely can't say the same thing for female musicians.

That’s definitely true.

But you know that's Bo's m.o., right? Throw a twist of controversy or a bit of humble-brag in there to generate interest. It's kind of like click-bait. And it works, just like click-bait.
Definitely. Remember this thread from just a few months ago? Why not use that one, instead? https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/remember-when.178726/#post-1874133
Seriously, I don't understand starting a new thread when an identical one already exists. And I don't get the click bait titles that many other members use here, too. Just put the name of the drummer / drum / topic into the title. Sorry for venting, but I don't like redundant threads with nondescriptive titles.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Definitely. Remember this thread from just a few months ago? Why not use that one, instead? https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/remember-when.178726/#post-1874133
Seriously, I don't understand starting a new thread when an identical one already exists. And I don't get the click bait titles that many other members use here, too. Just put the name of the drummer / drum / topic into the title. Sorry for venting, but I don't like redundant threads with nondescriptive titles.
Someone likes attention.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Yeah people talk trash- I think it’s idle words so the Devil’s workshop.

I know Hannah is a great drummer but the big question still out there is-Can she play Mustang Sally? ROFL I'm just busting' yo chops dude. Hannah is pretty amazing juggling marriage, kids, and a career as a drummer-I don't know where she finds the time (obviously a master of it).

spelman

Good point. From the forum rules :
Please use a subject for a new thread that explains the point of the thread. "Hey, check this out"; or "What do you think" or "????"does not offer any information and isn't likely to get the response that you wish, and vague or misleading titles will be modified. If you are not familiar with the existing threads, please use the search function before starting a new one

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
images-1.jpeg

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I know Hannah is a great drummer but the big question still out there is-Can she play Mustang Sally? ROFL I'm just busting' yo chops dude. Hannah is pretty amazing juggling marriage, kids, and a career as a drummer-I don't know where she finds the time (obviously a master of it).

1. We could ask her.

2. She developed most of her chops before she got married and had kids

3. She has an innate passion for drumming that keeps her focused and efficient in the practice room.

Just some thoughts lol

justadrummer

Back in 2011, before Hannah got the gig with Prince, I helped bring Hannah to Pittsburgh for a drum clinic. A friend of mine had a drum school, I supplied the gear.

Hannah played great, was very professional, although she was only twenty years old at the time and was a joy to work with.

A few years back (2019?) Hannah performed at the Chicago drum show. She saw me in the crowd and invited me backstage to hang with friends and family. She really could not be a nicer person. I can't think of anyone more deserving of success.

This is a photo of Hannah at the Pittsburgh clinic about a week before her twenty-first birthday.

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    550.5 KB · Views: 13