In case everyone forgot about her....

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Came across this Drum video today (it was done back in April) and it's an interview with Hannah Welton (Hannah Ford), talking about how she came to work for Prince. Years ago when she was coming up, I recall lots of drummers here having an issue with the whole "girl drummer" issue, and basically adhering to ideas like "Well she's pretty good for a girl", and obviously there are ALOT of drummers (male and female alike) who can and cannot play making a big splash on YouTube. But I encourage you to spend an hour listening to this conversation with Hannah and hopefully get inspired that you can make things happen (without knowing it because of the internet), and see that she is a really good player on top of that. I've always liked her - maybe because of my background working with the biggest entertainment corporation in the world, which taught me that that everybody around me can be really good and I can learn from everybody so maybe this will help legitimize her years after she was subjected to so much flak here on Drummerworld.

Check it out here:

JimmyM

Platinum Member
Music fans can be real a holes sometimes.

Years ago when she was coming up, I recall lots of drummers here having an issue with the whole "girl drummer" issue, and basically adhering to ideas like "Well she's pretty good for a girl", and obviously there are ALOT of drummers (male and female alike) who can and cannot play making a big splash on YouTube. But I encourage you to spend an hour listening to this conversation with Hannah and hopefully get inspired that you can make things happen (without knowing it because of the internet), and see that she is a really good player on top of that. I've always liked her - maybe because of my background working with the biggest entertainment corporation in the world, which taught me that that everybody around me can be really good and I can learn from everybody so maybe this will help legitimize her years after she was subjected to so much flak here on Drummerworld.
If that really is true, so much for the "do not make comments that are sexist" rule here :rolleyes:. Can't believe some people. Just imagine joining this forum as a girl and coming face to face with garbage like that. I've seen such comments out there before (more on YouTube and Facebook than here in fairness), and there have been times when it's made me wonder if the drumming community really is as friendly and open as it's reputation would lead you to believe. Things have definitely been improving the last few years though, so let's hope that continues.

But back to the main topic, Hannah Welton is awesome! She's only been getting better and better the last decade, and her playing on that Drumeo vid is absolutely killer. Rocky, funky, articulate, nice crispy drum sound - just great stuff. I'm definitely hoping we'll get to see a lot more of her over the next few years!

drumnut87

Silver Member
shes an awesome drummer! <3

JimmyM

Platinum Member
If that really is true, so much for the "do not make comments that are sexist" rule here :rolleyes:. Can't believe some people. Just imagine joining this forum as a girl and coming face to face with garbage like that. I've seen such comments out there before (more on YouTube and Facebook than here in fairness), and there have been times when it's made me wonder if the drumming community really is as friendly and open as it's reputation would lead you to believe. Things have definitely been improving the last few years though, so let's hope that continues.

But back to the main topic, Hannah Welton is awesome! She's only been getting better and better the last decade, and her playing on that Drumeo vid is absolutely killer. Rocky, funky, articulate, nice crispy drum sound - just great stuff. I'm definitely hoping we'll get to see a lot more of her over the next few years!
I doubt the mods would let stuff like that go unchallenged, at least if they’re the current crew. And in the year I’ve been here, I haven’t seen anything sexist other than an occasional thing about someone being very pretty. Once these child boys get their butts kicked by a drummer gal, it tends to shut them up.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
I'm sure some is gender motivated (if it is get over it-women rule now-just look at college entrance with fewer males) but I think age is a bigger factor. Players who've been doing it for decades (and acquired some skills) can be threatened by youth who are already at their level or surpassed their skill level. It's hard to comprehend how they can get at a level that took you decades so there is a tendency to try and find some fault in them =they are young and inexperienced, their parents force them, they are just a lil boy or girl, etc. I think it's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction so most find awe to replace their trepidation but you'll have some neolithic carry overs

WuHan Solo

Grab your popcorn, folks. This is just another thread where the little troll walks into the room, drops a subtle deuce on the floor and then walks out just to sit back and watch the reactions once people start to smell it.
The video could have easily been presented without addressing the "girl drummer" and "Well, she's pretty good for a girl." comments from the past. Bringing them up is just lighting the fuse to a powder keg of virtue signaling. One of the "white knights" has already taken the bait. I recommend the rest of you just leave the turd on the floor rather than kicking it around the room.
1665664840663.png

JimmyM

Platinum Member
Grab your popcorn, folks. This is just another thread where the little troll walks into the room, drops a subtle deuce on the floor and then walks out just to sit back and watch the reactions once people start to smell it.
The video could have easily been presented without addressing the "girl drummer" and "Well, she's pretty good for a girl." comments from the past. Bringing them up is just lighting the fuse to a powder keg of virtue signaling. One of the "white knights" has already taken the bait. I recommend the rest of you just leave the turd on the floor rather than kicking it around the room.
View attachment 125437
Lighten up, Francis.

criz p. critter

Silver Member
View attachment 125437
Seems to me that Bo was just presenting facts. Seems to me that you’ve fallen into a trap of your own devising. Funny picture, though.

I doubt the mods would let stuff like that go unchallenged, at least if they’re the current crew. And in the year I’ve been here, I haven’t seen anything sexist other than an occasional thing about someone being very pretty. Once these child boys get their butts kicked by a drummer gal, it tends to shut them up.
Honestly, I'm sure you're right. I was really talking more about the drum community at large than this forum in particular. I'm certainly not about to go searching for any examples of this from the forum's past - got better things to do! And yeah exactly, Hannah's playing kicks the butts of probably about 99% of drummers who made the "she's good for a girl" comments.

I'm sure some is gender motivated (if it is get over it-women rule now-just look at college entrance with fewer males) but I think age is a bigger factor. Players who've been doing it for decades (and acquired some skills) can be threatened by youth who are already at their level or surpassed their skill level. It's hard to comprehend how they can get at a level that took you decades so there is a tendency to try and find some fault in them =they are young and inexperienced, their parents force them, they are just a lil boy or girl, etc. I think it's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction so most find awe to replace their trepidation but you'll have some neolithic carry overs
I have no doubt age is a factor for some people too.

View attachment 125437
I think it's a highly relevant part of Hannah's story tbh - I'm sure she'd be the first to tell you that. Like it or not, sexism has always been an issue in the music industry, and I don't see the point in burying your head in the sand and pretending that's not the case. Things are definitely improving, partly as a result of discussions like this very one. The main points of my post were that it's a shame how some drummers have made sexist comments towards Hannah Welton, sexism is bad but things are improving, Hannah Welton is an awesome drummer. Do you disagree with any of those points?

WuHan Solo

Do you disagree with any of those points?
I absolutely, unequivocally do NOT disagree with anything you said. They are all excellent and relevant points.

However, I am familiar with the OP's M.O. when it comes to starting a thread. I've been reading this forum for a long time.
My post was simply intended as a warning to not stomp on the flaming bag left on the front porch.

I absolutely, unequivocally do NOT disagree with anything you said. They are all excellent and relevant points.

However, I am familiar with the OP's M.O. when it comes to starting a thread. I've been reading this forum for a long time.
My post was simply intended as a warning to not stomp on the flaming bag left on the front porch.
Thank you for clearing that up. I understand where you're coming from, this forum should most definitely be about drumming first and certainly if you feel like this thread was started with the intention causing drama, that is a perfectly legitimate cause for concern. I personally think calling it a "flaming bag" is probably an exaggeration but you're entitled to your opinion on that.

WuHan Solo

I personally think calling it a "flaming bag" is probably an exaggeration
It was a metaphor meaning things aren't always what they appear to be.

If you're not familiar, the reference was to the old prank of putting dog poo in a paper bag, putting it on someone's front porch, lighting it on fire, ringing the doorbell then running. The unsuspecting homeowner comes out to see a flaming bag and then stomps on it to put out the fire resulting in a mess on their shoe and the front porch.
I thought it was fitting considering the MO of the OP.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I concur with JimmyM: lighten up, Francis.

Other than bringing a player to light here, who up until she began working with Prince, was somewhat scorned and the subject of conversation (positive and negative), only to have all those conversations go silent after she appeared on tv with the purple one, I fail to see how that defines any kind of “MO” on my part.

And keep in mind I fall into that male dinosaur category at the age of 56. So you can’t accuse me of engaging in ageism on the subject. I’m quite happy with the way I play and certainly am not jealous that Prince didn’t call me. I’ve learned it’s more than just playing that gets you the gig, and epitomize the example that you can’t be all things to all people.

WuHan Solo

This scuzzy phrase

You're right, it's a "scuzzy phrase" because it refers to those of you that have to come in and show just how virtuous you are and in doing so shows how you believe women are too weak to speak up for themselves. It actually makes you the misogynist.

Don't believe me? Ask my 3 daughters. Or better yet, ask Dora. (@Doraemon). She makes the point very clear right here:
https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/where-did-it-go.181887/post-1935753

Or in this case "don't remind me how badly this drummer was treated, strictly because she's a woman."
Nowhere in my post did I say that, nor imply it. Nowhere. Don't put words into my mouth to fit your moral grandstanding.

I don't appreciate you implying that I'm a misogynist. I'm far from it. If the tables were turned you'd be reporting me to the mods for "attacking" you and you know it. Block my posts if I offend you, but don't go accusing me of things that you yourself are guilty of.

Good day, sir.

Doraemon

You're right, it's a "scuzzy phrase" because it refers to those of you that have to come in and show just how virtuous you are and in doing so shows how you believe women are too weak to speak up for themselves. It actually makes you the misogynist.

Don't believe me? Ask my 3 daughters. Or better yet, ask Dora. (@Doraemon). She makes the point very clear right here:
https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/where-did-it-go.181887/post-1935753

Nowhere in my post did I say that, nor imply it. Nowhere. Don't put words into my mouth to fit your moral grandstanding.

I don't appreciate you implying that I'm a misogynist. I'm far from it. If the tables were turned you'd be reporting me to the mods for "attacking" you and you know it. Block my posts if I offend you, but don't go accusing me of things that you yourself are guilty of.

Good day, sir.
I think that was a little different topic. But this one is also weird, because I watched the video, and it's only about drumming and Prince, it's not a dramatic documentary about her overcoming gender problems, nothing like that is even remotely mentioned, so why stir up all that using her?
Has anyone else bothered to watch the video btw? She's an amazing drummer, I'm glad I found this.

Last edited: