Impulsive snare buy, need info

braincramp

Gold Member
Just bought another snare, this was a very impulsive purchase (i'm sure there are some you that could relate)Pearl Bronze 5 1/2 x 14 it has tube lugs and strange single flange rims..It cost me 149 sure I could of got 1 cheaper if I was patient, however I know nothing about it and there isnt much if any info available. Love the look, tube lugs, but whats the story on the hoops are they single flange? cast? Would appreicate any info or review if you have owned/played one. Cant seem to post a pic. but here is the GC site I got it from with a pic. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-5-5X14-PEARL-BRONZE-SNARE-106053756-i1624487.gc

Last edited:

MikeM

Platinum Member
That looks cool! It looks like someone modified a Pearl Sensitone with the tube lugs and single flange hoops to give it a more vintage look. I'm sure it sounds sweet. I have a Sensitone Brass and love it.

braincramp

Gold Member
That looks cool! It looks like someone modified a Pearl Sensitone with the tube lugs and single flange hoops to give it a more vintage look. I'm sure it sounds sweet. I have a Sensitone Brass and love it.
Never though of it being modified by someone, that may be why there is so little info on it. I have never hit a bronze snare hear there somewhere between brass snap and alumium dry..hope to have it in time for the haw-lo-gig Sat. night.

Ian

Silver Member
All someone did was put single-flange hoops and clips on a bronze Sensitone. The bronze Sensitones are great drums with any hoop, so I'd say you got a screaming buy.

The single-flange hoop will "vintique" your drum's sound. They limit how high the drum can be cranked due to the structural design of the hoops. They will also open up the sound and may cut the volume a touch. I love them for rock and for recording.

If you are a heavy hitter make sure you aren't digging in on your rimshots as these will kill your wrists and eat your sticks. Proper technique will keep pain away, but your sticks are still screwed.

Enjoy. That is a rad find.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
When Pearl first introduced the Sensitone series, they did a subseries of drums with tube lugs and single flange hoops with clips. They didn't last long, maybe a couple years at most.

I had the same drum as pictured, which is actually a 6.5" deep drum, and it is a killer snare. It's very open and resonant because of the single flange hoops, but still has tons of that thick bronze shell tone.

Mine sounded best with a coated Ambassador batter and hazy Ambassador snare side, and I REALLY regret selling mine. $150 is a STEAL, too. When I sold mine it went for over double that.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
It's NOT modified. This is how those snares came when they were introduced.
This is an AWESOME snare.

A friend of mine had one and I borrowed it for a day to check it out.

I could have bought it, but didn't. Kicking myself for not buying it when I had the chance.

Does it have the 2 (die cast) stick savers on it?

Those are extra things that replace 2 of the claws and went over the hoop. Those things are GREAT, but Pearl discontinued them.

They still offer the hoops and claws (which are way better than the generic supply house offering), but not the stick savers....
I have 2 sets of hoops/claws and SS's that I sometimes put on my tube lug BB's.
Just like the look a lot and the hoops and savers sound great.

If you don't end up digging it, hit me up with a PM.

braincramp

Gold Member
It's NOT modified. This is how those snares came when they were introduced.
This is an AWESOME snare.

A friend of mine had one and I borrowed it for a day to check it out.

I could have bought it, but didn't. Kicking myself for not buying it when I had the chance.

Does it have the 2 (die cast) stick savers on it?

Those are extra things that replace 2 of the claws and went over the hoop. Those things are GREAT, but Pearl discontinued them.

They still offer the hoops and claws (which are way better than the generic supply house offering), but not the stick savers....
I have 2 sets of hoops/claws and SS's that I sometimes put on my tube lug BB's.
Just like the look a lot and the hoops and savers sound great.

If you don't end up digging it, hit me up with a PM.
Just got it and its more then awesome!!! what a PHLAT!! sound I got right out of the box and yes it has the 2 stick savers.... its set up for one at 6 oclock for rim shots and 1 at 3 for cross sticking... I always love a new when when I first get it but this baby is a whole new level of awesomeness....great looks and jaw dropping sound... my stave snare is shaking thinking it might get kicked off the island as #1

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
Bronze is a smokin' good material for snares. I have a discontinued Mapex Phosphor Bronze snare and I use it all the time.

This baby just looks way too cool. Like it even sounds good while no one's hitting it. LOL!

Great score man. Enjoy that honey.

Jim