Improving a Tama Stagestar kit

Elecmuso

I'm a muso but no drummer. But my son has a Tama Stagestar and I use it for my own rehearsals. I'm guessing the heads are the originals (we've had the kit about 8 years) and new ones could greatly improve the sound and I'm sure my drummer would appreciate the upgrade. What should I replace these with?

We are mostly playing jazz, blues and funk tunes - if that helps

It's a very general question I know but I am a newbie to drums!

Last edited:
I think a good start is Remo Coated Ambassador for a snare drum batter.

Toms get Remo Pinstripe heads in the batter side.

I had a Stagestar not long ago. It was a nice little kit.

Grab a Tune-Bot while you're out shopping for new heads and tune those drums well. They (and everyone else) will thank you for it.

Last edited:
....... I'm sure my drummer would appreciate the upgrade. What should I replace these with?
Maybe ask your drummer what heads he would recommend, since he's the one playing the kit at your rehearsal.

Thanks fellas. Yes did ask the drummer, he mensioned Evans uv1 or gv1 or Remo Ambassador.
Single-ply heads can lead to an uncontrolled sound on less expensive drums, especially if they're not tuned well. Not an issue if your drummer knows what he's doing, however.

I love Pinstripes as well, but if the main focus is jazz, blues and funk i would go with coated Ambassadors tops and clear Ambassador bottom.
You'd get a nice warm sound, even if you tune it high (like a lot of jazz drummers do).

I would also go coated on toms, it'll warm up the tone. Depending on budget I would also change the reso skins. On cheap kit, the batter heads are crap and it's even worse for the reso heads.
Coated G1 or G2 on toms, coated G1 for the snare and hazy 300 and G1 for the reso. Or Remo / aquarian equivalent of course. The bass drum can go EQ4 on batter and keep the stock reso.

Back