importing a snare from Europe...whats the customs tax etc?

Drum Guy

thinking about getting a snare unique to Europe - I can buy it of course, but to have them ship it, so what are the US custom taxes on say a $1000 snare? I can't find official US docs on this kind of thing.

Anybody with experience would be greatly appreciated, was it easy, how much and how long for it to arrive? Comes from Germany to US.

thanks!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
There might not be any. Its dependent on item, value, intended usage, blah blah blah.

Read this from Customs and Border Protection, they cover just about everything:

Drum Guy

thanks for replies - trying to get a bubinga snare...seller is a reputable German music company but not sure if bubinga is fine to import into US anymore - read differing takes on this ...anyone know,

and since its a snared for personal use, around $1000 would that be about 5% rate tax plus state tax? figuring out if this is even worth it.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
thanks for replies - trying to get a bubinga snare...seller is a reputable German music company but not sure if bubinga is fine to import into US anymore - read differing takes on this ...anyone know,

and since its a snared for personal use, around $1000 would that be about 5% rate tax plus state tax? figuring out if this is even worth it.
Should he fine in regards of Cites.

Bubinga is from the Rosewood family.

Drum Guy

oh, OK, man there's so much going on, doesn't seem worth it, which is why I asked and am thankful for this forum and everyones replies.

The question I have though is I just ordered from Sweetwater a new TAMA Bubinga snare, to come in 4 months from Japan, how is it I can't order from Germany a bubinga snare without possible hassles? Wonder why the US will allow one, but not the other. Is it because I'm an individual, not a big company? Who knows.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
oh, OK, man there's so much going on, doesn't seem worth it, which is why I asked and am thankful for this forum and everyones replies.

The question I have though is I just ordered from Sweetwater a new TAMA Bubinga snare, to come in 4 months from Japan, how is it I can't order from Germany a bubinga snare without possible hassles? Wonder why the US will allow one, but not the other. Is it because I'm an individual, not a big company? Who knows.
Because the German snare you want is being sold to you from a foreign company. Sweetwater is not foreign, so you arent importing the snare. Sweetwater might be, or Tama might have a distro here prior to Sweetwater and pay the import duties themselves. Dont worry, someone is paying it lol. It's one of many things that gets passed along to you in the markup I'm sure.