I'm thinking of using stick wax...

WallyY

Platinum Member
...on the tension rods to keep them from detuning so easily.

My drums are old.
I keep them cleaned and lubed, but the last time I cleaned the rods, I used Super Lube, which has teflon and now the drums are not staying in tune as long as they used to.

The next time I change a head, I think I'll clean off the tension rods with soap and water and re-lube with something stickier, say like maybe that Zildjian stick lube that I have in the corner.

I think it should work as good as any lube, but with a little bit of thickness to maybe keep the vibrations from loosening the rods.

What are the thoughts?
Anybody think I'm wrong here?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Bad idea.

There are products made for this that provide various degrees of tension.

You can always use tuner fish, luglocks or stuff like that...

Many options.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Okay, got it. Bad idea.

I just saw this stuff...
What about something like silicone turntable damping oil like below?
It's oil for slowing the tonearm of a turntable, with a high viscosity so it floats.
One of the quotes from the page is "Keep in mind that silicone oils of these viscosities are stiff as molten glass".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2ml-Silicone-Damping-Oil-fluid-AK-500000-for-turntable-tonearm-lift-/131964527776?hash=item1eb9b2e4a0:g:Od4AAOSwv0tU596Q

I also just found a cool short video showing a tension rod with and without grease.
It's very enlightening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of2yxRA74cU

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Okay, got it. Bad idea.

I just saw this stuff...
What about something like silicone turntable damping oil like below?
It's oil for slowing the tonearm of a turntable, with a high viscosity so it floats.
One of the quotes from the page is "Keep in mind that silicone oils of these viscosities are stiff as molten glass".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2ml-Silicone-Damping-Oil-fluid-AK-500000-for-turntable-tonearm-lift-/131964527776?hash=item1eb9b2e4a0:g:Od4AAOSwv0tU596Q

I also just found a cool short video showing a tension rod with and without grease.
It's very enlightening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of2yxRA74cU
Interesting. Thanks for the tip. Something to think about.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Rdavidr has a Youtube clip where he compares Vaseline to White lithium grease in sunlight. The Vaseline melts easily and flows away. The grease stays put.

You could also try nylon washers, or even the tiny leather washers which fit between the top of the lug and the rim.

tcspears

Gold Member
I feel like such a hick, but I don't think I've ever paid attention to my tuning rods. When my drums don't feel or sound great, I just tighten things back up to where I like them, but I don't fuss with the tuning much...

That being said, one of my favorite hobbies is mountain biking, and we have to keep the bike chain lubed. At one time, i switched to a wax based lube, thinking that would help repel all of the mud and other stuff that gets stuck in there. What it actually ended up doing was clogging my derailleur with wax residue.

Obviously your drums aren't chain powered, but I think using wax would be a mistake as it would all start to build up inside the drum hardware.

I think you'd be better off with 3-in-1 or something of that nature, maybe you could even use washers, but stay away from anything that has wax in it!

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Keep the wax for the sticks and bearing edges. My vote is for 3-in-1 oil too. I used it on my Speedking project and it worked like a charm.

double_G

Silver Member
i vote NO on the wax in the threads but YES on pearl rod washers (can work ok as rod "locks" depending on the drum) and then true square / oblong rod locks on the lugs where you slam backbeats / hit most often.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I feel like such a hick, but I don't think I've ever paid attention to my tuning rods. When my drums don't feel or sound great, I just tighten things back up to where I like them, but I don't fuss with the tuning much...
Well that's my usual modus, but since I cleaned everything really well, the rods are moving more than normal and it's a bit annoying because some of the lug certs can rattle if not just-so.

I can't use any of those washers or lug locks because my tension rods are thicker than standard. I have some of the Sonor tune safe locks that fit on the rods, but those things are annoying.

Anyway, I just ordered a little bottle of one million weight silicone oil to see if it works. It should be here in about a day, so I'll update soon.

WallyY

Platinum Member
You can use the wax to waterproof your sneakers.
Or your mustache, since Zildjian is turkish...or, Armenian. Whatever they are it's probably just rebranded mustache wax.

Anyway, I lubed my 10" tom with that million weight silicone, so I'll report back in a week or so with the yay or nay on the test.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Update.
The vibration reducing silicone oil does nothing to help hold the drum in tune.
It feels like plain old good lube in the threads.