I'm sure most of you have seen this but I had to share

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Price is a bit insane at $2000-$3000 but I think it looks pretty incredible

DWsabiansnare_zpsc6fce4cc.jpg

Here's the info on it from Sabian's FB page

"SABIAN got together with our friends at Drum Workshop Inc. (DW Drums) to offer something special. We collected 100's of cymbals used by endorsers on tour then returned to our artist relations office in LA that were melted down into DW Edge rings. DW procured some centuries old "water birch" found in a Maine lake to use as a core. And so the Vault Edge Snare Drum was born! The first run of 50 sold out the first day of the NAMM show. There will be an additional run of 50 to be announced."

I saw it in person at NAMM, although they had it behind a glass case.
But then I got distracted that Scott Travis was standing next to me, and I was trying to think of something to say without coming off like a dumb fan boy.

If the materials used are so unique I find it a bit sttange that they'd mish mash them together.

"...We collected 100's of cymbals used by endorsers on tour then returned to our artist relations office in LA that were melted down into DW Edge rings..."

Some of my old APXs are undoubtedly in there somewhere!

Strikes me as rediculous. Cool idea but the cost is pure ripoff. Like the guys at DW are laughing and saying "who the hell is going to buy this for this much money".

To each his own and when you can afford anything, the perspective is a little different to say the least but this is not a have to have drum. Its a want to have and the price is just so.

I would totally rather have a spirit of 2002 drum instead, don't a lot of people who buy the edge drums say they kind of aren't good? So if the $500 one is a bad idea obviously spending 6x more makes it work. Reminds me of the V-22 Osprey just hopefully less deadly.

Materials: $200
Labor: $200
50% markup: $200
Hype: $2,400
--------------------------------------
Total: $3000

"The first run of 50 sold out the first day of the NAMM show."

Overpriced or not, as long as there's a market for those things.. I'd be selling em too if I was DW!

Pardon my sarcasm but DW consistently takes the award for Most Pretentious, Overpriced Snare Drum. I mean who thinks of this and why do we need it?

"We took pure natural spring water, cultivated from 1.66 km beneath the earth, and united it with only the best Sabian cymbal reduction...." What's next? A snare made from moon rock?

(Having said this, I wouldn't mind one of of these snares...)

HAHAHA they used cymbals from endorsers. Its like those stupid baball cards that come with a fabric swatch of a game worn jersey. you know what thats worth...nuthin! great recycling idea at best. instead of lake wood they should have used recycled 14 inch toms too.

Strikes me as rediculous. Cool idea but the cost is pure ripoff. Like the guys at DW are laughing and saying "who the hell is going to buy this for this much money".

To each his own and when you can afford anything, the perspective is a little different to say the least but this is not a have to have drum. Its a want to have and the price is just so.

My thoughts exactly. Nope, you're not alone in your sentiment. I've always thought DWs stuff was over-priced, over-built, and over-hyped. Their stuff just seems to come across as a little gimmicky to me...the ballad snare, the note stamping on the shells, 23" bass drum, etc. I'm just not a fan.

They do have nice sounding drums but I've never heard any that I thought were worth the money.

Back