I'm starting to enjoy myself :)

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Golly the singer sounds a bit like a mix of Chrissie Hyndi and Geddy Lee. And it's a trio. Now that a "rush". Hee,hee,hee. Good drumming as usual Andy. It's fun doing different genre to push yourself in new directions. Cool stuff. Oh and the drums sound really good recorded too-Guru's I presume?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Golly the singer sounds a bit like a mix of Chrissie Hyndi and Geddy Lee. And it's a trio. Now that a "rush". Hee,hee,hee. Good drumming as usual Andy. It's fun doing different genre to push yourself in new directions. Cool stuff. Oh and the drums sound really good recorded too-Guru's I presume?
Thanks :) To clarify, anything that isn't a rough rehearsal recording in this thread isn't me or my drums - they're programmed drums. I'm hoping to feature in an upcoming EP to be recorded late spring, & I'll certainly be using Gurus for that. In fact, I'm hatching an idea for a new Guru honest capture session that features studio tracking footage. Not sure if that will come off yet. One step at a time :)

As for your trio observations, do you think I should look out for a certain kind of headwear? ;)

KamaK

Platinum Member
KIS,

First off... great stuff, peace and love. You're doing a great job.

My drummer and I had a similar experience back in 2000 with Ripley. It was a basic Throwing-Muses style girl-pop band with a musically skilled vocalist. He was brought in to convert pop to rock. I was brought in to tighten up the guitar parts and provide ad-lib and ambiance. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble locating any of the material.

Your recordings have the same vibe, but with a Euro feel rather than the west-coast US feel.

All I can really say is that playing against your bias is part of the big picture of musicianship. It's hard, and it's certainly not as gratifying as doing your own stuff. The benefit, and saving grace, is that the band becomes better and songs become far more interesting. You end up with a bunch of diverse sounds and interests instead of some one-dimensional pop-song.

Side note: The guitarist in your band sounds mechanically adequate. I could do with less structure and a more classic "Brown Sugar" analog vibe, but that's probably just my age poking through.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
KIS,

First off... great stuff, peace and love. You're doing a great job.

My drummer and I had a similar experience back in 2000 with Ripley. It was a basic Throwing-Muses style girl-pop band with a musically skilled vocalist. He was brought in to convert pop to rock. I was brought in to tighten up the guitar parts and provide ad-lib and ambiance. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble locating any of the material.

Your recordings have the same vibe, but with a Euro feel rather than the west-coast US feel.

All I can really say is that playing against your bias is part of the big picture of musicianship. It's hard, and it's certainly not as gratifying as doing your own stuff. The benefit, and saving grace, is that the band becomes better and songs become far more interesting. You end up with a bunch of diverse sounds and interests instead of some one-dimensional pop-song.

Side note: The guitarist in your band sounds mechanically adequate. I could do with less structure and a more classic "Brown Sugar" analog vibe, but that's probably just my age poking through.
Thanks :) Great to hear of your experience. It's certainly a test. For me, it's very early days, but I've turned an enjoyment corner ;)

The guitarist is the singer / songwriter. She has a very simplistic & urgent style. Not something I'm used to, but I'm starting to learn to bounce off the vibe. I'm used to playing with either very organic or highly technically competent melodic guitar styles, so again, something completely new to me, & something I wouldn't usually even listen to.