I'm looking to buy Tama or DW

FunGuy69

i'm looking for a mid to higher quality set. can you guys tell me if these are good deals

Attachments

• foto_no_exif (12).jpg
    foto_no_exif (12).jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 494
  • foto_no_exif (11).jpg
    foto_no_exif (11).jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 481
  • foto_no_exif (10).jpg
    foto_no_exif (10).jpg
    292 KB · Views: 460
As a DW owner, I'd pick the Tamas. As far as if it's a good deal, not sure. It doesn't seem like a steal.

That's about what the Tama B/Bs go for. Its not a steal. The DW Collectors for $1,800 seems like a great price. That's usually what the lower line Performer Series goes for. I'd probably jump on that if that 4 piece set fits what you want. It looks like it has a 20x18 bass drum tho, where the Tama has a 22x18. Make sure that's what you want. Of course as a Mapex player I'm going to have to suggest you look at the Saturns as they are in the same price range and you can get a 5 piece for around that price with a 22" bass. Let us know what you decide and post pics.

That's about what the Tama B/Bs go for. Its not a steal. The DW Collectors for $1,800 seems like a great price. That's usually what the lower line Performer Series goes for. I'd probably jump on that if that 4 piece set fits what you want. It looks like it has a 20x18 bass drum tho, where the Tama has a 22x18. Make sure that's what you want. Of course as a Mapex player I'm going to have to suggest you look at the Saturns as they are in the same price range and you can get a 5 piece for around that price with a 22" bass. Let us know what you decide and post pics.

I looked at Mapex one time - i understand they are more difficult to tune because of the number and position of the pins around the rim

I'd get the tama b/b. I just like the sound alot more.

I looked at Mapex one time - i understand they are more difficult to tune because of the number and position of the pins around the rim

Not sure where that info came from. They are going to 6, 8, or 10 lugs per drum just like any other line.

I'd get the tama b/b. I just like the sound alot more.

The problem i have with the b/b is that the toms are mounted in the bass drum. Accordingly, even though i posted a pic of the b/b i was leaning maple. however, i understand you have to do more muffling with the maple sets.

Ive always like the Tama kits... the hardware they are putting on now just looks a little cheap... never played dw drums but looks like a better job as far as the hardware goes.

i understand you have to do more muffling with the maple sets.
I'm not sure where you got that information from, but it's not correct. Bubinga produces a lower fundamental, but it has the same highs as maple. Muffling is a personal preference of course. How you muffle depends on why you want to muffle. Frankly, good tuning skills & correct head selection for the characteristics you're seeking gets you pretty much there apart from the extremes of dead sounds, & if you want the extreme of dead sounds, it doesn't matter what drums you use.

FWIW, I'd go for the Tama every time from the selection you've presented. Try giving us an idea of the sonic characteristics you're seeking, then you'll get more targeted advice.

That's a sick looking Tama kit... Beautiful finish and colors.

Can't go wrong there, I think, unless there's damage or something.

I would go with the Tama BB's Great drums and hardware ,and I agree,that finish looks super rich.BTW,the "pins" you refer to ,that are turned with a drum key,are called tension rods ,or tension bolts.They go into a lug insert,which is inside the lug.

If you don't want to mount the toms on thee bass drum,get a cupole of clamps,for under 30 bucks,and clamp the toms to cymbal stands.

Steve B

I'm not sure where you got that information from, but it's not correct. Bubinga produces a lower fundamental, but it has the same highs as maple. Muffling is a personal preference of course. How you muffle depends on why you want to muffle. Frankly, good tuning skills & correct head selection for the characteristics you're seeking gets you pretty much there apart from the extremes of dead sounds, & if you want the extreme of dead sounds, it doesn't matter what drums you use.

FWIW, I'd go for the Tama every time from the selection you've presented. Try giving us an idea of the sonic characteristics you're seeking, then you'll get more targeted advice.

Thank you very much. I haven't played in 10 years. when i was younger, every drummer i ever met put stuff in their drums to muffle the sound. and everyone put things inside the bass drum. but with the internet (that we have now) it looks like as you say, if you choose correct head you'd be ok with correct tuning. they seem to sell dampeners that can give adjustments .

i spent the last few years learning the guitar, and now i want to get a drum set again and jam with myself with a couple drum mics, a guitar mic and DAW on a laptop.

I'm looking for something versatile, that can give power, but can sound pretty when low as well. and is not flat or dead. probably mostly a heavy rock blues. i like playing rock blues but use acoustic as well. i like these drums sounds: early sabbath, the drummer for jimi hendrix; alice in chains early 90's; smashing pumpkins first album; tool undertow. but i dont need to sound just like them.

i was going to get this:
new beat hh
sweet rid 21 inch
16 and 18 inch crash
hammered bronze snare 6.5 X 14.
gibralter rack.

dw 5000 double kick; dw hi-hat stand

paired with either tama maple or b/b, mapex saturn, or dww colletors (only if i found a deal) this pair ; looking for bass drum , 1 or two toms and a floor tom.

i know its an investment but i am late 30's and its what i want to try b4 i get too old.

Anytime I make a purchase I always go for quality of sound first then overall craftsmanship. Brand is not my first priority especially when you might like the sound of brand x over the other. With GC you can set up both kits and play em a little, and play with the hardware. May need some tuning as they generally get a quick tune from the employees.

$1800 for DW sounds like a deal. I like a big bass drum boom (personal preference) however the size of the drum may not always gurentee a bigger sound. Especially a 20" to 22". As mentioned, tunning and how you dampen the bass drum will give you what you're looking for, whatever that may be. You will notice better resonance from a drum that doesn't have a large metal posts sticking through it.

I also know that my DW kits toms are all tuned to each other to help them resonate and thus singing together.
Good luck!

I would go for the Tama's. An un-drilled BD makes no difference in my opinion.

Alot of people seem to like the B/B tamas. however, the "upper level" drums of tama and other brands all have undrilled bass drums. so , is it they consider the B/B to be lower level? and i've heard other people say that the drill or no drill BS doesn't matter. I suppose it doesn't matter since everyone says the B/B sound so good.

The problem i have with the b/b is that the toms are mounted in the bass drum.

Just because the tom tree is there doesn't mean you have to use it. You can still fly the toms from stands.

Oh wait, this just in....apparently you do have to use the tom tree. If you don't, guys from Tama dressed in white suits will track you down and make mean faces at you at your gigs.

Too bad.

:-D

Just because the tom tree is there doesn't mean you have to use it. You can still fly the toms from stands.

Oh wait, this just in....apparently you do have to use the tom tree. If you don't, guys from Tama dressed in white suits will track you down and make mean faces at you at your gigs.

Too bad.

:-D

It's flattering that you think i will gig, or that anyone will show up :)

I'm curious why the choice is just between those two companies? Do they not have anything else at this Guitar Center or are you just not interested in anybody else's offerings? All the companies make great drums in that price range.

I'm curious why the choice is just between those two companies? Do they not have anything else at this Guitar Center or are you just not interested in anybody else's offerings? All the companies make great drums in that price range.

tama, dw, and as the other person mentioned mapex - these i know i'm getting a good product. when i have money to experiment i can take more chances.

Back