I'm having trouble with my double stroke roll

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
A different approach would be to work on your triple stroke roll and your 4 stroke roll. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Zickosdrummer

Rax,

I'm not great at it either. But, here is how I work on it with my students.

Try making a single stroke with the left hand then buzz that stroke. Without changing anything see if you can use the same single strike and bounce it just once. Work on tha a while then add the right hand. Two good exercises are:

RLRLRLRLRRLLRRLL

and

R L R L R L R L RRLLRRLLRRLLRRLL

Take it slow and work up to speed. Good luck.

Merlin5

Gold Member
Love Bill Bachman's videos! Here's a short video of my doubles that I made last year to a metronome, changing between 1/4s, 1/8s, 1/16s and 1/32s, and altering volume between soft and loud. As Bill Bachman says, it's about trying to get the doubles to sound even like singles. A good test is to close your eyes as you play to see if they sound like even singles. As I listen to my slower doubles, I can often hear where they need evening out more,
(metronome really highlights these details) so my practise continues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW_bv3xNUVE

Nice video Alex.

Zickosdrummer

Love Bill Bachman's videos! Here's a short video of my doubles that I made last year to a metronome, changing between 1/4s, 1/8s, 1/16s and 1/32s, and altering volume between soft and loud. As Bill Bachman says, it's about trying to get the doubles to sound even like singles. A good test is to close your eyes as you play to see if they sound like even singles. As I listen to my slower doubles, I can often hear where they need evening out more,
(metronome really highlights these details) so my practise continues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW_bv3xNUVE

Nice video Alex.
Exactly what I said but you got to the 1/32s too quickly. Rax, spend more time on the 1/4s, 1/8s, and 1/16s. It will come but keep working it.