i'm back and need some help....

robyn64

ok can any one tell me if dw drums still make the round snare turner offer thing, lol.
mine is broke on my camco snare and would like to replace ( or fix) it.
i got pictures to help explain what i need.

snare part.jpg

snare turner onner offer.jpg

can any one help me? please?

Last edited:
The problem with that is I would bet good money,is the mounting holes won't match up,and on that drum,you DON'T want extra holes.That leaves you with three options.

Don't play the drum again,have someone or yourself make an adatper plate or get an original replacement.The last option gets my vote.You could search Ebay or the various vintage drum dealers or.......Visit the Vintage Drum Forum.A member there ..Dolfan is considered the leading Camco experts in the country,and would have a line on a replacement or could recomend if a repair is possible .Member Purdie Shuffle is also a really knowledgeable Camco guy.

Have hope.It may cost you but it's worth it to keep that drum in original condition,and now you know where to look for help..:)

Steve B

The problem with that is I would bet good money,is the mounting holes won't match up,and on that drum,you DON'T want extra holes.That leaves you with three options.

Don't play the drum again,have someone or yourself make an adatper plate or get an original replacement.The last option gets my vote.You could search Ebay or the various vintage drum dealers or.......Visit the Vintage Drum Forum.A member there ..Dolfan is considered the leading Camco experts in the country,and would have a line on a replacement or could recomend if a repair is possible .Member Purdie Shuffle is also a really knowledgeable Camco guy.

Have hope.It may cost you but it's worth it to keep that drum in original condition,and now you know where to look for help..:)

Steve B

thanks a bunch steve, you are right...most likely the holes won't match and i won't add holes unless i absolutely have to. i do want to keep my drums as original as possiable. and yes, i figured it would be costly. I have been keeping an eye on ebay because there is some camco stuff on there and was hoping to come accross one. gonna go find Dolfan and see if he can help me. ;)

I'll be back so if any one has any other ideas please post them, will take all ideas in consideration. Thanks guys.

You may already know this, but i didn't see it in the thread anywhere so i'll just say it! It's typically called a throwoff, just in case that keyword will help your search :)

You may already know this, but i didn't see it in the thread anywhere so i'll just say it! It's typically called a throwoff, just in case that keyword will help your search :)

actually that helps alot, wasn't sure what it is called. thanks, lol. i just always called it the snare turner onner/offer thingy. lol silly me. :)

Hahah i called it the same for a while actually... and i don't know how i learned the name for it. either it just popped in my head, or i read it somewhere..

Strainer is also an accepted term.This also accurately describes what the piece of hardware really does.When a spring expands or contracts it is said to be under "strain".Since snares are basicly wires,this is just as accurate as throw off.Most drum companys also refer to this mechanism as a strainer.The term has been in use as early as 1898 relating to the Boulanger snare drum and actually earlier.The terms are interchangeable today,as a keyword search will confirm.

Steve B

Strainer is also an accepted term.This also accurately describes what the piece of hardware really does.When a spring expands or contracts it is said to be under "strain".Since snares are basicly wires,this is just as accurate as throw off.Most drum companys also refer to this mechanism as a strainer.The term has been in use as early as 1898 relating to the Boulanger snare drum and actually earlier.The terms are interchangeable today,as a keyword search will confirm.

Steve B

This makes sense.

good history lesson too ;)

Call Donn Bennett Drum Studios in Bellevue Washington. They used to have a lot of Camco parts, they may still have them. The original Camco/George Way parts are NOT cheap.

Call Donn Bennett Drum Studios in Bellevue Washington. They used to have a lot of Camco parts, they may still have them. The original Camco/George Way parts are NOT cheap.

thanks Ian, i'll make that call. and yes, i know, NOT cheap at ALL.

Robyn,

I was at the Long Island Drum Centre this last weekend, and the owner has recently tidied up his spare parts section, and he mentioned some of the parts went back 35 years or so.

Maybe worth checking in to see if he can help.

http://www.lidrum.com/

Back