I'm at a blockade...

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
I just don't know what hi hats to get. I've looked into the HHX Evolutions and they sound great, but I also really like the sound of regular New Beats. New Beats are also considerably cheaper. I play rock, funk, jazz, hip-hop. And I don't really know what type of sound I want. I'm pretty much still a beginner and I've never had good cymbals. Which hi hats would be more versatile for all of the styles that I've listed? I guess I'm just at the point of of getting the one that the majority of people on this thread suggest. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Maybe 'blockade' isn't the right word? I suggest "impasse" ;)

You have some first world problems, right there ;)

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I've always considered New Beats as being amongst the most versatile hats out there. They just seem to blend seamlessly across a multitude of genres and playing applications. They are a very 'generic' sounding set of hats that seem to musically and sonically fit in more places than not. If I was ever forced to have one set of hats to go the journey with me, they'd be 14" New Beats.

That's not to detract from the other hats you've been considering in your last couple of threads. But if words like "versatile" are being tossed around, then New Beats certainly deliver in spades on that front. Buy a used set and they'll hold their resale value for you too.

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
I've always considered New Beats as being amongst the most versatile hats out there. They just seem to blend seamlessly across a multitude of genres and playing applications. They are a very 'generic' sounding set of hats that seem to musically and sonically fit in more places than not. If I was ever forced to have one set of hats to go the journey with me, they'd be New Beats.

That's not to detract from the other hats you've been considering in your last couple of threads. But if words like "versatile" are being tossed around, then New Beats certainly deliver in spades on that front. Buy a used set and they'll hold their resale value for you too.
Haha, ya, I guess I've sort of been doing lots of threads about hi-hats lately. Oops
I just don't want to mess up with this purchase because I'm finally getting paid a decent amount of money, but I probably won't get a large amount of money for a while after this.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
You should get a couple of 17" thin crashes and use those as hats. Sabian, Paiste, Zildjian, it shouldn't matter. I'm using those 17" A Zildjian thin crashes as hats and love it. I'm having a hard time going back to my 14" or 15" New Beats.

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
You should get a couple of 17" thin crashes and use those as hats. Sabian, Paiste, Zildjian, it shouldn't matter. I'm using those 17" A Zildjian thin crashes as hats and love it. I'm having a hard time going back to my 14" or 15" New Beats.
If only that was cheaper, I totally would. Maybe I'll just go with some ZBTs or Pitch Blacks...

customdrum

for some reason im one of those very few who never liked the new beats. I have owned 3 pair 70s and 90s models but never liked there chunky sound, yes there cheap 100-130.00 average price on ebay shipped but the evolution are so sweet sounding over the new beats. i have had the evolution 14" hats, stage hats, ufip wave hats,paragon hats,zildjian a hats, new beats, sabian fusion, sabian apx 15",sabian 14" aax cellerator hats and zildjian a custom hats.
my fav are the stage hats, apx then aax celerator.
if your looking for bright and clean go with stage hats for cheaper price or if your into zildjian go zildjian mastersound or even paiste 2002 sound edge if u have the money to spend.

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
for some reason im one of those very few who never liked the new beats. I have owned 3 pair 70s and 90s models but never liked there chunky sound, yes there cheap 100-130.00 average price on ebay shipped but the evolution are so sweet sounding over the new beats. i have had the evolution 14" hats, stage hats, ufip wave hats,paragon hats,zildjian a hats, new beats, sabian fusion, sabian apx 15",sabian 14" aax cellerator hats and zildjian a custom hats.
my fav are the stage hats, apx then aax celerator.
if your looking for bright and clean go with stage hats for cheaper price or if your into zildjian go zildjian mastersound or even paiste 2002 sound edge if u have the money to spend.
I guess I'm leaning towards a darker sound, but not too dark. So I don't know if I would like the mastersounds or 2002 sound edge.

shemp

Silver Member
I just played on a set of a Dream 14" hats with a dark brown center....the name of the actual line was worn off....used them for two hours up at a very nice reh studio up in good old rancho kookymunga...i thought they sounded quite good....good enough to own. Since they were there, I tried them and my 14" mastersounds stayed in the bag....that's an endorsement because my masters are freakin awesome and go everywhere.

I might seriously check out some Dream hats in the larger size if that is what you are after....very impressed.

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
I just played on a set of a Dream 14" hats with a dark brown center....the name of the actual line was worn off....used them for two hours up at a very nice reh studio up in good old rancho kookymunga...i thought they sounded quite good....good enough to own. Since they were there, I tried them and my 14" mastersounds stayed in the bag....that's an endorsement because my masters are freakin awesome and go everywhere.

I might seriously check out some Dream hats in the larger size if that is what you are after....very impressed.
I've checked out everything Dream has to offer. I was attracted by the great sounds and amazing prices, but alas, I have nowhere to try them out. Rural Idaho sucks...

shemp

Silver Member
I've checked out everything Dream has to offer. I was attracted by the great sounds and amazing prices, but alas, I have nowhere to try them out. Rural Idaho sucks...
Well, that's a bit of a conundrum....my take on the Dreams is that they are a really good call...I don't think you would be disappointed. Also, the mastersounds are, well, first call. More expensive of course but to me they are *that* good. You will not go wrong with 14" mastersounds.

The Dreams were more than good enough for any reasonable gig....I would use them....the only subjective thing I would say is that they were a little more brash....I'm nit picking here....I felt they cut through the band....2 guitars, keys, bass and 4 vocals. But also were a bit heavy handed....the masters just sit smoothly and silky right in the mix.

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
Well, that's a bit of a conundrum....my take on the Dreams is that they are a really good call...I don't think you would be disappointed. Also, the mastersounds are, well, first call. More expensive of course but to me they are *that* good. You will not go wrong with 14" mastersounds.

The Dreams were more than good enough for any reasonable gig....I would use them....the only subjective thing I would say is that they were a little more brash....I'm nit picking here....I felt they cut through the band....2 guitars, keys, bass and 4 vocals. But also were a bit heavy handed....the masters just sit smoothly and silky right in the mix.
Believe me, I really would go for Dream Hi hats. I've just read so many horror stories of people getting a dud pair when they haven't heard the hi hats first. Too bad mycymbal.com doesn't have them.

shemp

Silver Member
Believe me, I really would go for Dream Hi hats. I've just read so many horror stories of people getting a dud pair when they haven't heard the hi hats first. Too bad mycymbal.com doesn't have them.
I bought all my hats sight unseen...from Amazon of all things. Sabian, Paiste, Zil....never been disappointed. I think the dud commentary from folks is overrated. Find another dealer and tell them you will give them your business but may want to go through several pair to find the right one for your taste.

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
I bought all my hats sight unseen...from Amazon of all things. Sabian, Paiste, Zil....never been disappointed. I think the dud commentary from folks is overrated. Find another dealer and tell them you will give them your business but may want to go through several pair to find the right one for your taste.
I might try that in the future. Right now I just want to get a good, versatile, reliable set that I can always fall back on. Maybe after I have a couple good pairs of hi hats I'll experiment with Dream cymbals.

Cymbalise

I've owned 14" HHX Evolution hats in the dim and distant past. Nice and crispy, but not enough balls for higher volume material. If you're not playing hard rock though they're worth a look, and are available at great prices on the second hand market.

From the UFIP stable I'd recommend the 14" Class Medium hats. They are warm, full of tone, utterly musical and versatile across pretty much every genre. Being rotocast there is enough mass there to get through louder situations without getting clangy, and being vented they're fast and tight for busy sticking patterns. Great hats!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'd get a pair of New Beats or something similar and just play them a whole bunch in a lot of different settings and styles. That way when it comes time for another pair you'll know what "medium" sounds like and you'll have a better baseline for going bigger/smaller or brighter/darker.

Most of these "what if" questions are going to be impossible to really answer without jumping in and playing something.

Brian

Gold Member
I really enjoyed having 14" Sabian AA regular hats, which I sold. Those were quite versatile and reasonably priced, sounded great. Right now I play 13" new beats and 14" K custom dark hats, which are great..but those AA's were more bang-for-the-buck.