I'm a turncoat traitor...

bigiainw

Gold Member
Yes folks, after years of allegiance to the Zildjian brand, I have just purchased my first s.., I mean s...., SABIAN metal, a 20" AA raw bell crash. I didn't really want to do it, but it was sooo cheap that I couldn't resist. It sounds brilliant too and goes really well with my 19" A custom crash and my 20" A medium thin crash. I'm sure I will only shudder when I see the logo for the first year or two....

I also have Zildjian crashes and use the AA Raw Bell in the 21 inch size. I guess we'll go to the gallows together.

Just wipe off the logo. Problem solved.

True. Those logos are ugly anyway. Yeah, don't forget that Sabian is owned by the Zildjian family. Don't feel ashamed because you have good taste in cymbals.

There's some deals on Sabian cymbals right now that are really hard to pass up.

I'll bet that 20" AA raw bell crash rawks.

True. Those logos are ugly anyway. Yeah, don't forget that Sabian is owned by the Zildjian family. Don't feel ashamed because you have good taste in cymbals.

They are the only company actually owned by a Zildjian. The big logo's are pretty ugly, I will agree, but the HHX lines don't have the Sabian logo and they look great.

Update- I gigged the Sabian for the first time last night and it rocks.

That is all!

This is highly disturbing, Iain. You do realize we're going to have to file a report over this....

:p

As stated, Sabians are absolutely of Zildjain spawn. I think of the Sab's as being first cousins to Zildjian. Sabs and Zildjains blend nicely together, really, they are cut from the same cloth.

Paistes are a different animal. Not that you can't use them together, but they definitely have different sonic qualities.

I guess I've never really understood brand loyalty. Why would anyone refuse to use a product because they also like some other product? It's not like anyone married a particular brand and swore to be true to it "'til death do you part".

I can understand a particular brand being given a first shot because you've had good results in the past but that shouldn't limit choices elsewhere or mean you couldn't give the heave-ho to some model of the original brand. This reminds me a little of running shoes. I know lots of runners who stick with a particular brand. If you look at my shoe rack you'll see all sorts of brands. Use what works. Don't limit yourself.

Sabian isn't actually owned by Zildjian , right? They're the product of two brothers who didn't see eye to eye so brother Robert began making his cymbals in Canada. In fact Armand kept Robert out of the US market for ten years in the beginning. Or am I wrong?

Sabian isn't actually owned by Zildjian , right? They're the product of two brothers who didn't see eye to eye so brother Robert began making his cymbals in Canada. In fact Armand kept Robert out of the US market for ten years in the beginning. Or am I wrong?

The deal was one year and could never mention Zildjian in any marketing.

I also have Zildjian crashes and use the AA Raw Bell in the 21 inch size. I guess we'll go to the gallows together.

I have one Han Chi 18" china, but only because I can't currently afford the 19" K China I really want since I spent my money upgrading my ZBT/ZHT mixture to my Zildjian 21" A Sweet Ride, 20" K Ride, 20" A Custom Projection Ride, 16" A Medium Crash, and 14" Zildjian A New Beat Hi-Hats from the early 1970's. My next few paychecks will be sufficient enough that my turncoat status may continue for just another month or so...

I guess I've never really understood brand loyalty. Why would anyone refuse to use a product because they also like some other product? It's not like anyone married a particular brand and swore to be true to it "'til death do you part".

I can understand a particular brand being given a first shot because you've had good results in the past but that shouldn't limit choices elsewhere or mean you couldn't give the heave-ho to some model of the original brand. This reminds me a little of running shoes. I know lots of runners who stick with a particular brand. If you look at my shoe rack you'll see all sorts of brands. Use what works. Don't limit yourself.

I actually didn't limit myself. I found what worked for me and went down that track, in the same way that if I had a really good car, the next one I bought might well be from the same manufacturer. It was only when I couldn't find what I was looking for that I strayed over to the dark side....

Great point. Unless I see your name on Zildjian ads, don't worry about it. I've never heard a brand (outside of 90s Camber models) that didn't make beautiful cymbals. We live in an exciting time where there are so many more brands than the big 3 (crescent, Turkish, Meinl, TRX, Amedia, Bosphorus, Istanbul, Dream...).
As for running shoes, I log most of my miles in NB's. I tried other brands, but always go back. Every test I've done at my local running shop always results in me buying another pair of NB.

Welcome to the darkside..... Zildjians and Sabians mix beautifully together. I have 4 Sabians and 6 Zidjians plus two pairs of their hats.

Back