I'm a sucker for weird looking cymbals

Diet Kirk

Silver Member
Anyone else here a sucker for weird looking cymbals?

I love anything that looks unique or a little bit different. Biggest problem I have is that often the sound I'm going for doesn't match what my eyes love in a cymbal!

Any sympathisers? and whats the wierdest/coolest looking cymbal you've ever seen?

I bought one of these years ago because I loved the look, but it is definately not the cymbal for me

picture found on google by the way

fess

Yeah, I have the same problem. Recently bought a Diril ride that looked really cool and sounded nice, but was totally inappropriate for the music I play. I pretty much play straight rock, but I love dark, thin jazzy cymbals that completely get lost in the mix. Now I have the hots for that Meinl Pure ride.What I would do with that, I have no idea.

Diet Kirk

Silver Member
Then have I found the deal for you. This thing has been on CL in my area for months. Sort of gives me the heebie jeebies to look at it. Never seen anything like this before.

Hammerax Indigo Oval Dark Crash Cymbal

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/4808926186.html
Haha I actually do love the look of that er thing!

Sounds pretty good too, although I've always found it so hard to tell just hearing a cymbal on its own. I really need to hear it in context with me playing. Which is probably why I end up buying such random cymbals sometimes!

Yeah, I have the same problem. Recently bought a Diril ride that looked really cool and sounded nice, but was totally inappropriate for the music I play. I pretty much play straight rock, but I love dark, thin jazzy cymbals that completely get lost in the mix. Now I have the hots for that Meinl Pure ride.What I would do with that, I have no idea.
That actually sounds almost exactly like the earth ride, but perhaps a little warmer and with some wash. The earth ride has no wash whatsoever!

I'd never heard of Diril before, but yep they fall into the nice to llok at category now I've checked them out. There are just so many unique cymbal manufacturers out there now these days!

Someone like BFD should audio capture every new cymbal that comes out so you can road test things against home recordings!

Dignan

Silver Member
If that was for sale this side of the pond I'd buy it in a heartbeat! What a cymbal!
If you are seriously interested it might be worth contacting the owner. It's been off and on CL for almost a year now that I think about it.

Cymbalise

Thanks but import duties this end make buying stuff from the U.S. uncomfortably expensive. Which is unfortunate as you lot have a) the largest and most varied second hand drum market in the world and b) by far and away the best prices.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Here's an odd Zildjian Constantinople (the late '70s pre-brilliant line)

That's a rather big bell for a 20" cymbal!!

bermuda

Staff member
The Hammerax stuff definitely qualifies for weird, but they're great FX cymbals! I think they tried doing 'normal' cymbals a few years back, but there are enough of those out there. They showed some very cool new stuff at the last NAMM, but I don't think they'll be there this time around.

I have 16" Hell Bell and Indigo crashes, that together make the darkest, dirtiest, slowest pair of hats you've ever heard, like a sample pitched down, but in real time!

Here's the Hell Bell -

Actually, they may be the weirdest cymbals I have!

Bermuda

Diet Kirk

Silver Member
nothing about that Earth Ride looks weird to me at all

but if you are a sucker for weird looking cymbals ... get ready to suck

http://hammerax.com/
I know the earth ride isn't really "out there" looks wise, but it was more that I was seduced by its looks rather than its sound!

But thanks Tony I know want santa to bring me everything from the Hammerax range!

Here's an odd Zildjian Constantinople (the late '70s pre-brilliant line)

That's a rather big bell for a 20" cymbal!!
I think that might have been exactly what I was after once upon a time. I wanted a soft washy ride without too much stick definition, that could be washed as well as pinged but with a loud defined glassy sounding bell.

The Hammerax stuff definitely qualifies for weird, but they're great FX cymbals! I think they tried doing 'normal' cymbals a few years back, but there are enough of those out there. They showed some very cool new stuff at the last NAMM, but I don't think they'll be there this time around.

I have 16" Hell Bell and Indigo crashes, that together make the darkest, dirtiest, slowest pair of hats you've ever heard, like a sample pitched down, but in real time!

Here's the Hell Bell -

Actually, they may be the weirdest cymbals I have!

Bermuda
I found some Masterworks stuff a few years ago that fit the cool/weird bill a while ago too, but I also got quite into some of the major brands attempts at replicating electronic cymbal sounds for a while. I seem to remember Thoms Lang had some interesting fast sounding chinas and was it possibly also meinl that made a cool pack of 3 or so fx cymbals once upon a time

bigiainw

Gold Member
Me, I love an earth ride, I had one for years before I was seduced by a K custom. Does that mean I'm weird too?

Diet Kirk

Silver Member
What about this one (20') Paiste - handmade by Michael Paiste - 1995
Looks very similar to something I'm watching on the ole ebay at the moment. Obviously without that gorgeous extra hammering art!

Is that one of yours Bernard?

Hammerax is just around the corner from me and I tried to get a tour on behalf of the forum but was turned down.
Boo hiss, what a missed opportunity by them.

Me, I love an earth ride, I had one for years before I was seduced by a K custom. Does that mean I'm weird too?
Yes, yes it does. Would you like to own one again, I happen to have one....

Cymbalise

What about this one (20') Paiste - handmade by Michael Paiste - 1995
I've seen that before, somewhere on the web.

I decided instantly back then that I'd buy it, at who cares the cost, if it ever comes up for sale. If the seller doesn't offer international postage I will fly to wherever they are in person to pick it up.

I still stand by that decision. That isn't a cymbal, it's art. (But I'm sure it sounds SUBLIME!)

bermuda

Staff member
Hammerax is just around the corner from me and I tried to get a tour on behalf of the forum but was turned down.
John Stannard is a nice guy and loves showing off his products. I'm surprised he didn't seize the opportunity for some very focused exposure.

Bermuda

braincramp

Gold Member
I've always have an ozone in my lineup.. couldn't wait to get a mega bell ride.. prefer the HH version though - of course these models are tame when compared to the Hammerex liquid and boomerang thingys.. with all that movement do they require batteries? lol