I'm a proud father

poekoelan

I know this is a place for drummers. I've played drums for more than 30 yrs. My gigging days are over for now due to my work schedule. But back to my premise. My 15 yr old son expressed an interest in guitar when he was 7yrs old People asked me why I didn't push him toward drums. For one, I never tried to push him into anything. Two, if he played guitar, I might get to play WITH him someday.

So I encouraged his interest. I took him to lessons for a couple years before his mom moved him a tad too far away to continue with his original teacher who he loved. But he continued learning on his own, mostly through youtube stuff. He still keeps in touch with his old teacher though.

His ability on guitar amazes me. Especially his ear. It's almost like as soon as he hears something, he can play it. Maybe not perfectly the first couple times, but he has no problem finding the right chords and notes very quickly. He never did learn to read music. But that's changing.

Even though he couldn't read music, the band director at his school let him into the jazz band because of his skill and his ear. I'm working with him on reading the sheet music for their songs. As a drummer I don't deal with chords or key signatures but we find that info very quick on the net.

I told him to forget the charts for the songs for now and just do it like he's always done it when he's playing with the band. In the mean time, I'm teaching him to read.

I love his musical taste too. He'll play anything but he loves Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden and Rory Gallagher. And he's 15 yrs old!

He's a better guitar player at 15 than I was a drummer at 15, that's for sure.

Sorry, I just had to take a minute to brag on him cause I'm proud of him.

KamaK

Platinum Member
15 is an exciting age to be a guitarist, because it's right around the time you begin to find and push your mechanical limits and develop your sound as an individual. It's also an incredibly social instrument, which makes it popular among the young'ins.

I had a chat with my father about my early playing. I asked how he felt about me playing in bars/clubs 5 nights a week when I was 16, and he said something kinda neat. The gist of it was that he was OK with it, because he knew exactly where I was, what I was doing, who I was interacting with, when the show ended, And that he often got to be there 90% of the time watching and enjoying live music. Had I not been a performer and simply been a party to one of the many high school social cliques, he wouldn't have had any of that.

Made me think.

Last edited:

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I know this is a place for drummers. I've played drums for more than 30 yrs. My gigging days are over for now due to my work schedule. But back to my premise. My 15 yr old son expressed an interest in guitar when he was 7yrs old People asked me why I didn't push him toward drums. For one, I never tried to push him into anything. Two, if he played guitar, I might get to play WITH him someday.

So I encouraged his interest. I took him to lessons for a couple years before his mom moved him a tad too far away to continue with his original teacher who he loved. But he continued learning on his own, mostly through youtube stuff. He still keeps in touch with his old teacher though.

His ability on guitar amazes me. Especially his ear. It's almost like as soon as he hears something, he can play it. Maybe not perfectly the first couple times, but he has no problem finding the right chords and notes very quickly. He never did learn to read music. But that's changing.

Even though he couldn't read music, the band director at his school let him into the jazz band because of his skill and his ear. I'm working with him on reading the sheet music for their songs. As a drummer I don't deal with chords or key signatures but we find that info very quick on the net.

I told him to forget the charts for the songs for now and just do it like he's always done it when he's playing with the band. In the mean time, I'm teaching him to read.

I love his musical taste too. He'll play anything but he loves Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden and Rory Gallagher. And he's 15 yrs old!

He's a better guitar player at 15 than I was a drummer at 15, that's for sure.

Sorry, I just had to take a minute to brag on him cause I'm proud of him.
I love Rory.Turn him on to some Davy Knowles ,Leslie West,Joe Bonomassa,Peter Frampton,and Joe Walsh.Don't forget Jimi Hendrix,Stevie Ray Vaughn,Early Clapton and a two person group of Rodrigo y Gabriela who play mostly spanish influenced acoustic instrumental originals,but do a cover of "Stairway to Heaven" that's just amazing....you'll be glad you did.:)

Steve B