I'm A Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Boy.

Netz Ausg

Silver Member
I have no doubt you can play well, I'm just saying you might want to reevaluate your technique, for the sake of not hurting yourself.
There is no danger of me hurting myself, I assure you. Again, I invite you to actually see me play before you pass judgement. I can just as easily make assumptions about you.

drstrangefunk

Tommy Lee is back for the attack!!!
this is the model that was usually suggested to me when i described what i wanted in a synthetic stic, but i was put off for many years, because so many people had said that Ahead Sticks would destroy my drums and cymbals.

Netz Ausg: re: rimshots - do you think that the stick would go before rims do ? i don't do rimshots myself, but it does worry me when i accidentally do one.

NerfLad

Silver Member
I can just as easily make assumptions about you.
And I invite you to. This is the internet, after all. But I never insulted (or was trying to insult) your playing. Technique is a separate issue.

[/bad vibes]

Last edited:

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Technique is a separate issue.
Sure it is, but in this case I would have thought a more tell tale sign of bad technique would be broken cymbals rather than broken Ahead sticks. With a ham fist, an aluminium stick and some continual pounding on a thin piece of bronze, I'd be willing to bet the cymbal edge would see signs of damage long before the stick would.

Sometimes sticks just break.....even Ahead sticks. Not everyone who breaks the odd stick has bad technique. Constant breakage is another issue, but in the case of a one off.....sometimes shite just happens.

Netz Ausg

Silver Member
Netz Ausg: re: rimshots - do you think that the stick would go before rims do ? i don't do rimshots myself, but it does worry me when i accidentally do one.
You'd have to be playing with crowbars to break a rim whilst playing. At worst you can detune your head/loosen tension rods by hitting rimshots continuously, but your hoops will be fine, for sure.

Sometimes sticks just break.....even Ahead sticks. Not everyone who breaks the odd stick has bad technique. Constant breakage is another issue, but in the case of a one off.....sometimes shite just happens.
Good point. And for the record I haven't broken a stick in a long time, either. The wood-tips tend to go long before I get to the point of breaking a stick.

markdrum

Silver Member
I've seen people who repeatedly dented die-cast rims while doing King Kong rimshots but I've never seen a rim break. Drums are made to project sounds over a long distance. They were the first telecom systems, You really don't need to hammer them to the point of breakage. Why am I suddenly thinking of "Spinal Tap"?