iHeartMedia lays off nearly 1,000 employees

Lee-Bro

I'm friends w/ 2 people in the Cincinnati region that got laid off. Neither were surprised by the layoffs themselves, but were surprised as to the depth and volume of the overall cuts.

Frank

Gold Member
People in my region - Hudson Valley, NY - are lamenting the sudden, unexpected firing of several DJs. I imagine it ties to this iHeart thing.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I spent 35 years on the radio. Worked for a couple years at Clear Channel which became I heart and can tell you no matter the name, it's a cruddy place to work. Sorry to hear so many people lost jobs, but then radio ain't radio anymore. I could write pages and pages about the sad state of affairs in broadcasting.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I spent 35 years on the radio. Worked for a couple years at Clear Channel which became I heart and can tell you no matter the name, it's a cruddy place to work. Sorry to hear so many people lost jobs, but then radio ain't radio anymore. I could write pages and pages about the sad state of affairs in broadcasting.
I worked in broadcasting too. A total tar pit and so glad I’m not anywhere near it anymore.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Pages and Pages of the sad state sounds like a book. Get busy
I think I'd rather write about my experiences in the San Francisco Bay Area during the 60s and all the people I knew. Although that lead into my radio/tv career where I continued meeting interesting and famous people. If I do write it, I'll give you the first copy.

Lee-Bro

It's as if the conglomerates are trying to make terrestrial radio like satellite radio: Limited staff, coordinated (same) songs and other content heard across the nation at the same time.