If you're a Brit, & over 40, you'll like this :)

Andy

Honorary Member
Sometimes, you just need a bit of inspiration, lol.

Guru artist, Matt Cowley, & his beautiful classic Guru's, passing time in a session. If you're a Brit, there's only one thing that comes between a drummer & his drums, & that's a copy of The Beano :)

I'm guessing the guitarist was tuning up eh ;)

Attachments

• Matt Cowley.jpg
    Matt Cowley.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 335
Great shot. belongs inside an album cover. If they still do that.

Remember that classic Clapton(?) album cover, where the 4 guys are sitting at the train station, and the one guy is reading a Beano mag? That was a Beano mag right?

So can you hip this Yank as to what's inside it's pages?

It's essentially a kid's comic with a particularly odd kind of humour. If you've ever heard of the 'Dandy', (with the character 'Desperate Dan') it's the same sort of thing.

What's even stranger is that the Beano has a character called 'Dennis the Menace'. I know Americans have a character by the same name and I think I'm right in thinking they were both created and published in the same year - although they are actually different characters.

I'm not over 40 and I still have a couple of copies of the Beano around. Including the 1996 Summer Special somewhere that I was particularly fond of!

I grew up reading MAD magazine. Loved 'Spy vs Spy' and also the Don Martin cartoons in it.

+1 on Mad

You know how they came up with Alfred's face right?

Great shot. belongs inside an album cover. If they still do that.
Yes Larry, a great shot indeed. I love stuff like this :)

I'm not over 40 and I still have a couple of copies of the Beano around. Including the 1996 Summer Special somewhere that I was particularly fond of!
Wow, I remember that edition (whoops), & yes, a special humour indeed, + some superb characters. How wonderful that a comic designed to appeal to kids from say 8 through 12, is still a fun read for adults (who are mostly happy to be kids again).

Who's the drummer? Does anyone know? Or is that a stupid question?

I had a Beano or two when I was young. Had a few MAD magazines as well, which I remember more, especially the Godfather spoof.

heres a clue Polly

Guru artist, Matt Cowley, & his beautiful classic Guru's, passing time in a session

Mad Magazine's funny looking cover boy, star, mascot, whatever...Alfred E. Neumann...his face is comprised of various facial features of past American Presidents. I'm not sure which features came from what President, but there ya go.

Bluesbreakers_John_Mayall_with_Eric_Clapton.jpg

Could have sworn that was in a train station..Thanks Liebe!

I remember Dandy and Desperate Dan thanks to some cuzzes ( what was that cat's name ...? ) and MAD of course was what I was weaned on ( ...and Archie, and all of Marvel, and Tintin,.. and ..uuuuuh.. )

We got Beano over here too. Except it's pills that you can buy at the store to keep you from farting after a gas inducing meal. (We eat a lot of Mexican food so it's popular here)

I'm 26 and grew up with the Beano. Most kids in my generation would have read it still.

They keep reinventing the art style and format, so it's still pretty popular today.

Mad Magazine's funny looking cover boy, star, mascot, whatever...Alfred E. Neumann...his face is comprised of various facial features of past American Presidents. I'm not sure which features came from what President, but there ya go.

I thought it was based on Letterman...

Back