If you were to bring one cymbal to a gig?

The hypothetical one cymbal question ? I'd bring my 21 in Zildjian K Con Actually I'd bag any cymbal and opt for my trusty hi hats LOL. So new question-Which would you bring to a gig if only one choice-a good ride or hi hats??

The hypothetical one cymbal question ? I'd bring my 21 in Zildjian K Con Actually I'd bag any cymbal and opt for my trusty hi hats LOL. So new question-Which would you bring to a gig if only one choice-a good ride or hi hats??

It's not hypothetical this week. To answer your question, I'd say hi-hats, but a good set that sounds good open too.

My "one-cymbal" cymbal is a particularly magic 18" AA Medium Crash, which is a great ride when played with a lighter touch, and a great crash when laying into the edge. I think 18-19" is a good range for a crash ride, not too heavy for a crash, and not too light for a ride. I find that a larger crash may make a nice ride, but it can be overpowering (crash-wise) for the kind of gigs that benefit from a compact set-up. I have a 20" Vault Crash like that, but it only works well on slightly louder gigs.

Bermuda

That's really interesting. Makes me think I should mess about with my 18 that I usually put on my left as the "main" crash.

I bet you're not kidding about the "lighter touch" part though... Cymbals labeled crash like to open up!

My personal answer is my old 22 A. It's thin and I typically use it as a crash on my right side so it's the darker sound. I find when I only have one, I don't want it to stick out too much.

I think using a large crash cymbal. You can pretty much get the ride ping sound you want by controlling how you hit. I think I would be disappointed with only a ride as a crash. Another option is loosen your top Hi Hat slightly and use that as a crash. Work better than you may think as long as you don't pound hard.

The OP already said that hats were a given! I would bring my 20" AA medium ride---everything you need from a ride, and a very good crash on top of it!

I would use either my old 70's 22" Paiste 602 Medium or my 20" Paiste Twenty Custom Full crash. Both serve very well as crashes and rides and are very controllable.

Out of your cymbals I would use the Diril. I like to use a 20" K Custom Dark Ride, old As, and I also have an 18" HH Crash that makes for a nice light ride and great crash.

The OP already said that hats were a given! I would bring my 20" AA medium ride---everything you need from a ride, and a very good crash on top of it!

Interesting choice. Must be a better ride than the Sabian that I got. Mine is a 21" AA Dry ride. Definitely not my first choice for a multi-functional cymbal, but I like it, it's a good ride. I'm still getting used to it.

The only time I would be bringing one cymbal would be an acoustic set, or maybe some kind of jazz combo---I would be much more concerned with the ride than the crash.

Zildjian Sweet Ride

or

for a slightly more refined, but somewhat similar sound - Zildjian 20 K Con Medium

I ONLY play Zildjians, always did, but I'm gonna have to say the Sabian Omni ride - it's hard to beat, it can do anything in any style.
I love my Omni's, but they absolutely do not cut it in my doom/sludge band. I'm not sure if it's the sustain or the timbre, but they just get buried. I'm not complaining because they've been usable for everything else, and would certainly fit the bill for small combo work.

I have a few favourites for one-cymbal only options: (all Zildjian)

K Con 20" Med Thin Low
K 20" Crash Ride
or: (brace yourself...)
20" Crash of Doom is a surprisingly good one-cymbal option if you like the trashy sound!

Back