If You Put the ReelFeel Pad on a Snare Drum...

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
...it actually makes it quieter.

I needed my stand to be about 3" taller with just the pad. I had no way to make it taller, so I put an unused snare on it. I then put the pad on the drum. I had actually expected it to make the tapping louder. I was both surprised and pleased as I use the pad in the morning while everyone is sleeping.

This might help apartment dwellers.

felonious69

Gold Member
You, sir, are like the McGyver of the drumming world!
First...my snow thrower is up and working fine...just fired it up to make sure cuz I'm gonna need it soon! (Nothing to do with drumming, but...)
Second...My sword is mounted firmly to my cymbal stand, allowing for quick draw! (Kinda has to do with drumming)
Third...making a quiet drum practice pad even quieter!

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
You, sir, are like the McGyver of the drumming world!
First...my snow thrower is up and working fine...just fired it up to make sure cuz I'm gonna need it soon! (Nothing to do with drumming, but...)
Second...My sword is mounted firmly to my cymbal stand, allowing for quick draw! (Kinda has to do with drumming)
Third...making a quiet drum practice pad even quieter!
I forgot about the sword. I bet it keeps ninjas away lol.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I keep my snares off. Now I'm curious to try it with them engaged.
I (and the Mrs) find it much quieter with the snares off.

When I use it with the mesh-headed practice kit, the snares are engaged so I can hear ghost notes a little bit.

vyacheslav

Probably common knowledge, but using a small towel either flat, or folded up in half or in quarters on a pad works wonders for volume reduction. It also makes it less bouncy to give your hands a better workout. Bonus: it's softer and easier on your hands than a gum rubber pad.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
yeah...the old Real Feel stop sign pads were/are the best for hotel rooms, bus rides, family gatherings....other than playing on my knee, it is about the quietest way to practice with non drummers around

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Probably common knowledge, but using a small towel either flat, or folded up in half or in quarters on a pad works wonders for volume reduction. It also makes it less bouncy to give your hands a better workout. Bonus: it's softer and easier on your hands than a gum rubber pad.
This was my go-to for most quiet needs. I have a gel pad for the real muscle development, but this "over the snare" idea is a great one to try.