If You Like Pina Coladas

C.M. Jones

A classic recording. I recall it vividly during car rides in 1979 as a kid. Now that you mention it, the Jordan feel is palpable.

Paul Blood

Great track, I never new it had Steve Jordan or it that it was a double drum track. I wonder exactly what they mean by "double drumming" ? Did one guy fill and the other grooved? Played parts in unison? Either way, it came out great and the drumming always stood out but the lyrics/story is very cute. Do they still write cute/cleaver songs?

cdrums21

Gold Member
There's no accounting for taste. You hate it but it's probably been getting daily "air play" since it was released 40 years ago! But seriously no offense taken. There's plenty of songs, bands, and artist that seem universally loved that I have never been able to get into....
It’s cool. I was a rock snob for the most part in my day. If it didn’t rock, it sucked haha. There were occasions where a sappy top 40 song would strike a chord with me.....kinda like the scene in Tommy boy when Chris Farley and David Spade secretly love the Carpenter’s song “Don’t you remember you told me you loved me”. ? The Pina Colada song however, wasn’t one of them ??.

beatdat

.....kinda like the scene in Tommy boy when Chris Farley and David Spade secretly love the Carpenter’s song “Don’t you remember you told me you loved me”.

I was thinking of the scene in Armageddon when Bruce Willis gives Ben Affleck the thumbs up after he tells Ben to "take care of his little girl", and that he "always thought of him as a son", before sacrificing his life, but, yeah, I know what you mean.

cdrums21

Gold Member
Does anyone remember "Magnet and steel" by Walter Egan? That was one of those songs that I tried not to like but couldn't. I thought it was kinda cool for some unknown reason haha.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Pina Coladas is a cute pop song. It's not my favorite but once in a long while I enjoy listening to it.

fess

I was a rock/blues drummer in NY until I moved to Virginia a couple of years ago. Somehow I wound up in a Trop rock band. Took a while, but I like the music now. Although if I never play Margaritaville again, I’d be OK