If you have multiple kits, what's for the practice space, what's for home and what's for gigs?

Shild

I only have one kit currently... A Pearl 5 piece with 20 inch Bass and Sabian cymbals. But I plan on buying whatever I can find on craigslist for a bargain once I get accepted into a band so I have one for the practice space and one for home.....

Just wondering what everyone else does about this? Perhaps you bought both for whatever you could find for a bargain and kits are totally different? Perhaps you bought the same kit for both places so you could combine on gig days and have 2 matching bass drums? Maybe you have an electronic kit at home so neighbors don't complain and real kit at the practice space?

What do you do and which kit do you use for gigs? I'm thinking you're better off keeping what you use for gigs at your house so you can just bypass the practice space on gig days.

412drummer

Well I just got a new kit and my plan is to gig my older kit unless we have a lot of time to set up like I have been that way if its gets marks, dings etc.. cause im in a hurry I wont be to upset.

Shild

Well I just got a new kit and my plan is to gig my older kit unless we have a lot of time to set up like I have been that way if its gets marks, dings etc.. cause im in a hurry I wont be to upset.
Which one do you keep at the practice space?

412drummer

Well at my house I keep my nice kit and practice on that, and at the practice space I use our guitarist kit that is realy bad. And for gigs I use my other kit that is already marked up. I suggest keeping your best kit at your place so you can enjoy it and prevent damage and then at the gig/pratice space your other one so if you have to move it around a lot it wont bother you as much when it gets marks.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I gig my 1970 Ludwig 12/14/20. In my teaching space, I house my 1960s 12/13/16/22. For studio work, I use my DW 10/12/14/16/22. When I go to a rehearsal, I just bring my Ludwig 12/14/20, or just a kick/snare/hats/crash. I don't have a practice space, fortunately, and I don't feel good about leaving my gear anywhere unless it's a paying gig, and also the teaching space, because I know it's secure.

412drummer

I feel the same way about the practice space. Make sure it is a secure space and if your band ever seems like its going to split get your gear out of there ahead of time.

Shild

I feel the same way about the practice space. Make sure it is a secure space and if your band ever seems like its going to split get your gear out of there ahead of time.
Interesting thing to say. Have you actually done this? If so what made you think the band was going to split and what did you say to them about it before you took the kit? Doing so seems like it would probably make them even more likely to split.

A

Anthony Amodeo

the only kit that stays in my studio is the 1966 round badge ...... if anyone breathes on it wrong there is hell to pay

the New Classics and the Catalinas gig..... depending on how I am feeling that particular night and what type of music the gig is

for record dates strictly New Classics

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Back when I was in bands that had a practice room, I kept my older kit there and gigged with my newer one. Now I have one set of toms, two bass drums (18" and 22"), and three snares. I no longer need two sets. I just use what is appropriate for the situation, and which of our two vehicles I am driving. Peace and goodwill.

412drummer

Interesting thing to say. Have you actually done this? If so what made you think the band was going to split and what did you say to them about it before you took the kit? Doing so seems like it would probably make them even more likely to split.
I never had to do this all the bands I'm in or have been in have somehow had a kit there for me to use for practice other than cymbals. The reason I say do this is so they don't keep your gear or something if you split. If you trust them or are friends with them its not a big deal but if its just a band of people you barely know you never know what could happen.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I have:

A sonor s-class - used to be my only kit, now use it for band practice at the studio and live
A mapex saturn - setup at home in my hometown - only gets played on weekends
A drumit Five 2box (electric kit) - setup in my city apartment so that my bands can come around and jam through a p.a.

During the week (in the city) I pay to play on practice kits which are muffled and in sound proof booths. The electric kit is really good but I don't like playing it too much because I don't want it to mess with my technique.

I can't decide which kit I like more out of the sonor and the mapex, they're just very different. I don't know which one suits live stuff more but I don't think it really makes that much difference.

PeteN

Silver Member
my Mapex Saturns are set up in a practice studio for my one band
my Tama Superstar hyperdrives are setup at another practice space for my other band

My Gretsch New Classics, Tama StarClassic Performer BB's and Pearl MCX Masters are on rotation duty in my man shack studio.

I have a sickness with gear!

Taye-Dyed

I try to use my Taye StudioMaple in as many occasions as possible as it is a pleasure to play.
Sometimes we play very tiny places so I use my Tama Stagestar cheapo kit with a 16" bass. I had bought the Tama for my kids years before I even became a drummer. It actually sounds fine with good heads and tuning.
I have an Alesis e-kit for late night practices.
For rehearsals, I use my guitarist's Pearl Forum.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
I leave my Pearl 5-piece kit at church where I play every Thursday night. My PDP X-7 kit is now set up in my garage mancave to use for practice, and then I haul it to gigs as well. I'd love to get a third kit to use for gigs, but I don't have the storage space at home, and money is tight right now.

dmacc_2

USA Customs are set up 100% of the time and never see daylight outside the house.

New Classics serve the role as student set, gigs & recording.

Naigewron

Platinum Member
My main kit is a top of the line, and that is set up in our practise space and will accompany me to gigs where I bring my own kit.

My secondary (old) kit is an older midrange kit. It is packed away at the moment, but will be brought back into active service if and when I get a personal pracise space, either at home or somewhere else. Even though my main kit is permanently set up in a band space, the room is not freely available to me 24/7 (because we share it with other bands), so having a personal space to set up a kit is definitely something I hope to be able to do.

T

The Old Hyde

I currently have 2 kits. 9pc double bass Pearl and a Ludwig Octaplus 12pc. I gig with part of th Pearl, just a 5 piece and I have the rest stacked at home. I leave the 5 piece gig set in the bags ready to go. I have a seven piece setup of Luddies I use for in home practice that i leave set up all the time. I am currenlty refinishing some of the Ludwigs and will use a Bonham set up from that for my gigging kit from now on and sell the Pearls I think. Too many drums is actually a pain in the neck these days. It is nice not having to unload all my gear after a gig to practice though.

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
I use my lacquered finished kit for recording / home studio. I have a wrapped kit for gigs and another lacquered kit stays at my bands rehearsal lockout

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Used to leave some wrapped PDPs at the bandleaders place for rehearsals. Then I found a nice set of Pearl Forums at a used shop for $300. So he bought those and keeps them there. Either of those kits are good useable knock around drums.

If have a rehearsal somewhere else for a casual I break out the Safari bop kit which is usually packed away in the garage. The Renowns are set up at home in my project studio. Gigs get either the Sonors or Gretschs depending on the size of the gig.