If you had to pick 1 single pedal jazz/funk what do you get?

gmiller598

The hex shaft and rocker appear to be stripped on my Ludwig Atlas Standard pedal s the beater won't stay in position. I already have an Atlas Pro double pedal I practice on but I'm looking for something to travel with that is preferably lighter weight if I ever need to move my kit. I don't know if I want to wait for the new Speed King to be released or get the Sonor Perfect Balance. I'm thinking a direct driver or strap is preferable. I definitely want control over speed since I don't really play fast stuff.

Thoughts?

C.M. Jones

This question depends on your technique as much as it does on your pedal. Some metal drummers use equipment generally associated with jazz, just as some funk drummers prefer equipment generally associated with metal. It really depends on your internal sense of touch vs. power. I know my response doesn't provide a formulaic solution, but I've found that few dimensions of drumming lend themselves to linear variables.

Dave Weckl, who plays mostly jazz/fusion, prefers strap pedals over chains. He claims he can more easily feather the bass drum with a strap. He also claims that straps reduce fatigue. Lots of drummers would disagree, however. With bass pedals, perhaps more so than with any other drum accessory, your comfort level is the determining factor.

I use a Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive and am quite pleased with its performance. I play country/light rock.

gmiller598

This question depends on your technique as much as it does on your pedal. Some metal drummers use equipment generally associated with jazz, just as some funk drummers prefer equipment generally associated with metal. It really depends on your internal sense of touch vs. power. I know my response doesn't provide a formulaic solution, but I've found that few dimensions of drumming lend themselves to linear variables.

Dave Weckl, who plays mostly jazz/fusion, prefers strap pedals over chains. He claims he can more easily feather the bass drum with a strap. He also claims that straps reduce fatigue. Lots of drummers would disagree, however. With bass pedals, perhaps more so than with any other drum accessory, your comfort level is the determining factor.

I use a Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive and am quite pleased with its performance. I play country/light rock.
I generally play heel up but can do heel down. I sort of go back and forth but when it gets to 16th notes I'm heel up. I just don't have speed with heel down. My reso head isn't ported so I generally try to play off the head for some tone.

C.M. Jones

I generally play heel up but can do heel down. I sort of go back and forth but when it gets to 16th notes I'm heel up. I just don't have speed with heel down. My reso head isn't ported so I generally try to play off the head for some tone.
The trend in a lot of newer pedals is to nix the heel plate to create a longer footboard. If you play mostly heel up, as I do, my Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive might be of interest to you. As TJK mentions above, it's very adjustable and highly versatile. Even Pearl's entry-level Demonator is a great pedal for the price (about a hundred bucks). I sampled one at a music store a while back and was impressed with its ease of use.

I've used Pearl drums and hardware for a very long time, but my first kit ever was a Ludwig, and it came with a Speed King (which you mentioned in your first post). Back then, the Speed King was squeaky and cumbersome, but newer versions have been much improved. What I like about the Speed King is that Ludwig has maintained its classic look while finetuning its features. If a new one is coming out soon, you might do well to try it.

Finally, I've always liked DW pedals. If I didn't play Pearl, I might lean in that direction.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I wouldn't buy a new pedal. I'd drill the hole smooth, tap it for a larger bolt, and put a new bolt in it. Problem solved, and you get to keep the pedal you are already used to.
Also, it could be the beater holder cylinder needs to have its hex screws tightened. I just had that happen to a 20yo Iron Cobra.