If you had to learn drums all over again what would you do differently?

As I'm sure others have said, I'd practice my rudiments. I'm a decent drummer and I can hold my own in most genres (except Jazz), but I'll never be a technically proficient drummer because I never bothered to practice my rudiments.

I would have gotten out and played with musicians earlier and more often. I had it in my head I wanted to be a fully-formed, perfect drummer before anyone heard me play my first note in public. It was a ridiculous concept, especially since you can't become a complete musician without playing with others in the first place.

I would have gotten out and played with musicians earlier and more often. I had it in my head I wanted to be a fully-formed, perfect drummer before anyone heard me play my first note in public. It was a ridiculous concept, especially since you can't become a complete musician without playing with others in the first place.

I still feel that way sometimes...and have been playing out for 30+ years. I hate to put songs in a set list that aren't perfectly formed...but I ALWAYS find the finishing touches happen after a few live versions...you think I would learn!!

Back