If you had to frivolously buy some drum gear...

Soupy

Silver Member
What would you get? Something that you don't need, but kindasorta want? I've got an eBay coupon to spend, and I'm looking for ideas. Best I can come up with would be a nice throne like a Roc N Soc Nitro to replace the $30 cheapie I have, but that's not terribly exciting.

So let's say that you had to buy a single drum related toy for $100-$200, whether it be a practical purchase, or entirely silly, what would be on your list? I need ideas.

A subkick. Don't have one of those yet.

If you need to upgrade the throne, then I wouldn't hesitate to do it.....in fact I'd consider anything I actually needed as first point of call, no matter what that was. Then I'd look for things I'd always been curious about, but never thought it was a 'must have' (eg percussion items or hand percussion instruments).

However, if I was to be really frivolous and "buy for the sake of buying"....then I'm always a sucker for a new cymbal or yet another snare drum.

a decent kick drum mic
another hat pedal, so I could use one just for gigs

more mics (SM57, headset vocal mic,...)

Jeez - I blew $200 with the 1st thing on my list, can I get a bigger coupon please :)

I'd find a good used pair of 15" hats probably Pastey, pros play Pastey... Either that or a set of timbales.

For a crazy choice, I'd get a bracket and a cheap kick pedal and rig up a foot tambourine. Ooh! and a jam wedge, the kind with the jingles.

Def get the good throne. It's easier to spend my money on exciting things that I don't really need, than on fundamentals like a throne.

The entire library of iPod lessons from Mikeslessons.com. It's sort of gear because it is technically an add-on to an iPod/Phone, which I consider to be drum gear at this point.

If you need a throne, and have the coupon $$$ for a nice one, I'd do that. Might not be as "fun" a choice, but you'll be glad you did it (and then you can spend your "real money" on something else too!!)

I just got a new Pearl round throne (D-1000 I think --it's a Roadster) after years of the cycle style and I love it.
VERY sturdy and real comfortable.
Not as heavy as the Tama Ergo seat I had (and sold, so I didn't end up paying that much for the new seat!).

The Tama was a real nice, well built seat, but the round just felt "freer" to me.
Roc-n-Soc is a great, sturdy brand too. I've had a RnS for almost 20 years that my son uses now. That one is a Mac Saddle.

I'd suggest a spin type seat no matter what brand you choose over the hydraulic style, and definitely not one of the smooth post style. Those always end up slipping down.

In no particular order..

- A full set of clear CS heads to throw on the toms for my jazz series kit - I have been itching to try the Charlie Watts thing on 'em.
- Two more SM57s
- A handful of 50' XLR cables and a couple XLR Y cables
- A set of 70s New Beats

But I agree - the throne will be money well spent.

$200 and completely frivolous..... does it have to be gear or just drum related?

well any way i'd rent 10 supermodels for 30 seconds (i figure thats the most i can get for $200) to stand around me and tell me how awesome i am.....

i suck, i need support.......

Gonna throw in a vote for a new throne.

Until last week I'd been sitting on the same one I got with my first kit, in '92. Was one of those things that I was always just "satisfied" with and I upgraded cymbals or other hardware whenever I had the money to spend on the kit. Over the years my taste in cymbals changed and I wish money I spent on the pies I have sitting around collecting dust was put towards something I'd use every time I played.

+10 on the new throne. It may not seem too sexy compared to a cymbal or something, but a good throne is a great thing to have.

If was feeling frivolous I'd probably buy some 13" hi hats to see what those felt like. Or a small china (10-14").

The DW piccillo toms or the LP Micro Snare

But ya man go with the new throne.

New Throne is at the top of the list.

If you want a bunch of little things, get a bunch of cheap splashes. Paiste Alpha, ZHT, etc. Going "ping-spsh-ksh!" is a great feeling.

Dude, if you have a cheap throne.....go get a great one! Your a$$ and lower back will notice the difference right away.

Back