If you had to choose between your favourite wood and metal snare

LittleLegs

I’ve been through loads of top end snares in my 40 years of drumming - Dunnetts, Brady’s, Craviotto and beyond - and landed on two:
Yamaha Maple Hybrid 14” x 6” (which also matches my YMH kit) and the 2020 Ludwig Bronze Beauty 14” x 6.5”.

Now, in this Covid-19 era money is tight and I’m only a home player these days, so I’m selling the gear that I don’t absolutely need that is gathering dust. (I’ve a Gretsch Brooklyn COB snare if anyone in the UK wants to buy).

The choice is made harder because they are quite similar in sound; the Yamaha is more airy and lively, the Ludwig has more density, but they are sort of too close to justify keeping them both.

Some random thought on the drums to help you weigh in: The Ludwig sounds better but there’s something about the Yamaha that is a bit more fun to play once my ears have adjusted back (maybe it’s a bit wilder and I like to get a lot of tones from the snare from solid backbeats to Bill Bruford-esque timbale overtones). The Ludwig feels pretty special as it’s quite rare (at the moment) and was a bargain as I got it from Germany for £350 less than the UK shops have it - and we all love a bargain. ( I got it from Thomann if you’re interested) So it seems perverse to let it go for a more pedestrian production drum. On the other hand, I play a lot with the snares off and like the way the Yamaha snare integrates with the Yamaha kit - not that the Ludwig doesn’t sound good!

So, I suppose a lot of the feedback would be ‘keep them both and economise in another way’ or ‘keep the snares and sell a kidney’, but I’d be interested in your thoughts. What would you do it it came down to your particular favourite wood snare vs favourite metal snare?

Thanks!

Last edited:
If it was a choice between my Gretsch maple and Premier 2000, I would let the Gretsch go...I’m not pretending there wouldn’t be tears though!:ROFLMAO: I’m UK but also use Thomann quite a lot, great price on the Ludwig!(y):D

I’m in the “keep them both” category because you have your favorite wood shell and your favorite metal shell snare. Having that variety will allow you to explore and use those sounds for specific music projects.

But if forced, I’d keep the Yammy. I’ve been playing a lot of funk lately and the dry pop of wood mixes better with that genre.

I’ve been through loads of top end snares in my 40 years of drumming - Dunnetts, Brady’s, Craviotto and beyond - and landed on two:
Yamaha Maple Hybrid 14” x 6” (which also matches my YMH kit) and the 2020 Ludwig Bronze Beauty 14” x 6.5”.

Now, in this Covid-19 era money is tight and I’m only a home player these days, so I’m selling the gear that I don’t absolutely need that is gathering dust. (I’ve a Gretsch Brooklyn COB snare if anyone in the UK wants to buy).

The choice is made harder because they are quite similar in sound; the Yamaha is more airy and lively, the Ludwig has more density, but they are sort of too close to justify keeping them both.

Some random thought on the drums to help you weigh in: The Ludwig sounds better but there’s something about the Yamaha that is a bit more fun to play once my ears have adjusted back (maybe it’s a bit wilder and I like to get a lot of tones from the snare from solid backbeats to Bill Bruford-esque timbale overtones). The Ludwig feels pretty special as it’s quite rare (at the moment) and was a bargain as I got it from Germany for £350 less than the UK shops have it - and we all love a bargain. ( I got it from Thomann if you’re interested) So it seems perverse to let it go for a more pedestrian production drum. On the other hand, I play a lot with the snares off and like the way the Yamaha snare integrates with the Yamaha kit - not that the Ludwig doesn’t sound good!

So, I suppose a lot of the feedback would be ‘keep them both and economise in another way’ or ‘keep the snares and sell a kidney’, but I’d be interested in your thoughts. What would you do it it came down to your particular favourite wood snare vs favourite metal snare?

Thanks!

The main takeaways I got from your post are that you are primarily a home player, looking to get rid of stuff you don't need, and mentioned the financial aspect of the whole situation. With that said, I would put aside the minor sonic differences and the personal preference aspect as 1 snare you own (the Yamaha) matches your kit and 1 snare you own (the Ludwig) is technically an oddball loner drum with no matching kit. To me, with what you explained, it makes much more sense to keep the snare that matches the kit and get rid of the other one. If you ever decide to sell that kit its value drops dramatically if it's missing it's matching snare.

Man after all those years and settling with those two-I think I'd keep them both to prevent seller's remorse is my fear for you. Everybody needs a wood and metal snare is a good counter argument and line of reasoning I'd adopt-full speed ahead. Keep both and economize elsewhere. Drumming is still a passion it sounds like-so I'd let something go that isn't a passion whether you still gig or not.

I've never had a favorite metal snare. Supras, Black Beauties, Acrolites, Sensitones...never had any staying power with me. I tried, but I realized that metal snares are my 2nd choice. And there's no room for 2nd choices, the first choice always beats it.

That said, I have no suggestions. Drums are like girls. You have to figure out what trips YOUR trap. That's half the fun, finding out what you dig

Wood all the way for me. I don't even own a metal snare. I've had a few over the years but am now committed to wood exclusively. I find wood warmer, richer, and less ringy. There's something about a fine wood shell that says "craftsmanship," while there's something about a metal shell that says "industrial fabrication." Yes, that's just my perception, but it guides my preference nevertheless.

I love my maple snare but it doesn't quite match the Black Beauty. They're both great, and neither one is ever leaving me. There's a frequency in the tone of the brass shell that just isn't as pronounced in the wood shell that gives it a more vibrant sound that I prefer.

I'm taking my DW Bell Brass with me to my grave.
Kicked my Black Beauty (flawed snare for $800) right into submission!

Sounds like I have to keep them both and sell that kidney!

Ehh, plasma. Lower payout but lower pain and you aren't capped at a single transaction. Plus... If you've got them antibodies they're practically begging for that juice!

I'd quit drumming......

They are simply tools. I am not going to hammer a nail with a wrench, just because it "works".

I have a few nice wood snares, but if I could only have one it would be my 5.5x14 Steel Keplinger. I've found wood drums don't always work well in every room - this drum can sound like a wood drum and it works in any environment.

Back