If you don't want to make a living, play this style ;)

Keith Moon had an opportunity to meet with Jazz musician and drum icon Philly Joe Jones, ex-Miles Davis and a who's-who of Jazz.

Keith was an admirer and asked Joe if he would mind showing Keith a few Jazz things. Joe agreed.

When they got together, Joe asked Keith to play something for him.

Keith sat at his kit and launched into a non-stop thundering barrage of Keith Moon rock drums. When the dust cleared, Keith sat down and asked Joe what he thought.

"Can I ask you something?" Joe said.
"Sure."
"You...you make a lot of money playing like that, don't you."
"Well, yes.." Keith replied.

Joe thought about it, stood up, shook Moon's hand and said, "Well man...I really don't want to be the one to ruin it for you", and left.

Last edited:
Keith Moon had an opportunity to meet with Jazz musician and drum icon Philly Joe Jones, ex-Miles Davis and a who's-who of Jazz.

Keith was an admirer and asked Joe if he would mind showing Keith a few Jazz things. Joe agreed.

Keith sat at his kit and launched into a non-stop thundering barrage of Keith Moon rock drums. When the dust cleared, Keith sat down and asked Joe what he thought.

"Sure."

Joe thought about it, stood up, shook Moon's hand and said, "Well man...I really don't want to be the one to ruin it for you", and left.
Philly Joe Jones is wise.

"Sure."

I've heard a lot of stories about Moon, some from him, but never heard that one. Hilarious.

Nice Jazz touch Bo. I read Philly Joe’s estate was worth 12 million but then again Moon’s worth 70 million. Seems they were both able to scrape by and make a living in each genre LOL. Seems country or metal has a large appeal now.

Interesting sound on the ride. Whatcha playing there?

Nice Jazz touch Bo. I read Philly Joe’s estate was worth 12 million but then again Moon’s worth 70 million. Seems they were both able to scrape by and make a living in each genre LOL. Seems country or metal has a large appeal now.
Where in the world did you get that number from? Philly was a lifelong drug addict and I doubt even Miles Davis' estate was worth 12 million by the time he died. How should Philly Joe have made so much money, working as a jazz drummer?

"Sure."

That story happened when Philly Joe was living in London and couldn't play concerts yet due to union restrictions.
He started to teach and charged £2 for a lesson and all the British drummers did ask for a lesson.
Around that time his drum book "Brush Artistry" was published by Premier Drums as well.

Where in the world did you get that number from? Philly was a lifelong drug addict and I doubt even Miles Davis' estate was worth 12 million by the time he died. How should Philly Joe have made so much money, working as a jazz drummer?
Yep. I was curious about Moon's estate and wealth so I Googled him-then out of curiosity Philly (which I'm not sure I believe either number-I'm just ragging on Bo LOL). But plenty of successful and wealthy musicians have died from drug abuse too (most seem like rockers as I pause to think-but I just woke up and drinking my coffee LOL). Some musicians are pretty savvy business people too.

Yep. I was curious about Moon's estate and wealth so I Googled him-then out of curiosity Philly (which I'm not sure I believe either number-I'm just ragging on Bo LOL). But plenty of successful and wealthy musicians have died from drug abuse too (most seem like rockers as I pause to think-but I just woke up and drinking my coffee LOL). Some musicians are pretty savvy business people too.
So could you please post a link to that information on Philly Joe? I really would like to check those numbers.

I was just joking with Bo so it was Just intended BS -sorry if it offends anyone.

Back