If you could choose 1 exercise to make your right foot better...

dpk204

For a newer drummer, what exercise would you do to get the right foot nice and loose. I'm looking for an exercise that I can just bang out for like 20 minutes straight so that my right foot can eventually become more free. Right now, my right foot is fighting me and it's hard to do doubles nice and clean.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Right now, my right foot is fighting me and it's hard to do doubles nice and clean.
In that case, I'd slow everything down and practice my doubles. Play some basic time, play your doubles as 16th notes and try shifting them around within the pattern. Keep the tempo nice and slow until you get it down.

Fuo

Platinum Member
I've always done these to work on speed (at a tempo you can do cleanly):

Code:
HH x-x-x-x-
BD oo--o---

HH x-x-x-x-
BD o-oo----

HH x-x-x-x-
BD o--oo---

HH x-x-x-x-
BD ooo-o---

HH x-x-x-x-
BD o-ooo---

HH x-x-x-x-
BD o--ooo--

HH x-x-x-x-
BD oooo----

HH x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
BD oo-o-o-ooo-oo---
Lately tho, in addition to these, I've working on control more at slower tempos, by doing 1/16s on the ride, 1/4s on HH (chick), and various patterns on the bass, focusing on everything lining up exactly.

The bass patterns I've been using are the 1st 3 pages of Stick Control where 'R' is a kick, and 'L' is a rest, so for example the 'paradiddle' pattern (exercise 5) would be:
Code:
RD xxxxxxxx
BD o-oo-o--
HF x---x---
Also, similar to above, the New Breed system #2, melodies I-V.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Here's a simple one that I've been doing lately to improve the accuracy of my double strokes (instead of a twitch, hitting it deliberately in time). Just play a straight slow single stroke roll and then pick two beats to hit the kick simultaneously with your hands. 1-and, and-2, and so on. Try to have the kick hits line up exactly with your drum. It's harder than it sounds. At least for me. ;-D