If you can have only have hi hats/crash/ride...

belairien

Silver Member
My current core set is all I need.
15" Sabian AAX Medium Hats.
19" Sabian AAX Xplosion Fast Crash.
21" Sabian AA Bash ride.

Versatile, blends well, plus the ride is crashable and the crash has a great rideable bell, so its like 2 crashes and rides ;)

wraub

Currently- 17" Zildjian A Rock Crash, Zildzian 14" Quick Beat hats (I'm still gonna want my A splash, though...)

Pootle

I normally play with only Zildjian A New Beats, 17 thin Crash and 21 Sweet Ride. If I were going to buy a new set, I’d probably go down the K Sweet route I think.

Last edited:

belairien

Silver Member
I normally play with only Zildjian A New Beats, 17 thin Crash and 21 Sweet Ride. If I were going to buy a new set, I’d probably go down the K Sweet route I think.
Basically the Zildjian version of my Sabian set up. I take it you're a fan of few but versatile as well?

C.M. Jones

If allowed only a hi-hat, one crash, and a ride, I'll take Zildjian A Avedis 15" Hats, a Zildjian A Avedis 19" Crash, and a Zildjian A Avedis 21" Ride.

Add a Zildjian A Avedis 18" Crash, and you have my current cymbal arrangement.

Pootle

Basically the Zildjian version of my Sabian set up. I take it you're a fan of few but versatile as well?
Yeah defo, my ride covers the 2nd lower pitch crash sound to point where I just don’t need another crash on my right (and the sweet ride is an incredible big crash!) plus the added benefits of easy setup for gigs. I do like your idea of a larger crash to gain an additional ride sound.

belairien

Silver Member
Yeah defo, my ride covers the 2nd lower pitch crash sound to point where I just don’t need another crash on my right (and the sweet ride is an incredible big crash!) plus the added benefits of easy setup for gigs. I do like your idea of a larger crash to gain an additional ride sound.
That's how my bash ride is.
Some times I hit an FX crash. But that's not often anymore.

gish

I’m perfectly happy playing my 15” New Beats, 18” K dark thin crash, and 21” A Sweet ride. Especially that K crash. Man, I found a good one when I got that cymbal.

johnjssmith

If I could only have three cymbals versatility would be paramount, so I'd go for the following:
Paiste 21" Sig DE mkii ride
Paiste 18" Sig fast crash
Paiste 14" Sig medium hats

This is also not much different from the setup I use for my main "versatile" setup.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
That's a tough call, but put a gun to my head and it would likely come down to these:
Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary 15" Hats
Istanbul Agop Traditional Dark Medium 19" Crash
Istanbul Agop Matt Chamberlain Signature 23" Ride (Second Generation Turk Model)

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I have played gigs with these several times.
Sabian
18" AA El Sabor
17" AAX X-plosion Crash
14" Paragon Hats

However, I own none of those cymbals now. Here is what I would use now.
Sabian
20 HHX Evolution Ride
16" AAX Concept Crash
14" SR2 Hats (medium top/ heavy bottom)

Peace and goodwill.

Now it would be these:
Sabian
21" AA Bash Ride
16" AA Thin Crash
14" SR2 Hats

lefty2

Platinum Member
It’s hard telling what cymbals I would end up with if I was able to pick from any brand and size because I have not tried them all yet. However of the cymbals that I own I would use 14 inch new beats 22 inch AAX Omni if I was allowed to have another crash it would be my 18 Paiste Sig. full crash