If tuning drums were as easy as tuning a guitar...

C.M. Jones

Great-looking kit, and I love the one-up/one-down setup with a tom in a snare stand. It's the same arrangement I use.

I'll pass on the pulley system for tuning, however. I'm not renouncing it. I've never even tried it. I'd just rather stick with classic tension rods. I won't go into why. When I discuss tuning in threads, a fallout always follows. :)

NouveauCliche

So... here's this- Opinions?

Well - for toms it seems great. I have issues with not being able to tune the snare heads and bass drums differently....imagine having a ported front head and trying to find the sweet spot with that system.

I've seen lots of videos and one of my friends is one of their first "Artists" or "Endorsers" and he moved over from Sonor...

I dunno - cool but not my bag.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I wouldn't like not being able to apply different tension at each lug, to say nothing of different tensions on top and bottom. If there's any variations in head and hoop there's no way to guarantee you'll get the same pitch at every lug just because the tension is equal.

C.M. Jones

I wouldn't like not being able to apply different tension at each lug, to say nothing of different tensions on top and bottom. If there's any variations in head and hoop there's no way to guarantee you'll get the same pitch at every lug just because the tension is equal.
Another concern I would have is the integrity of the pulleys themselves. They appear to be nothing more than strings. If one snaps, the whole system could fail.

brentcn

Platinum Member
So... here's this- Opinions?
Any drum, whose heads I can tune independently of each other, or these? It’s no surprise that these videos don’t actually show an entire kit being tuned, or more than a few whacks at a snare.

Maybe you can tune these kits well, maybe there’s a sweet spot. But if that sweet spot isn’t to your liking, then you’re outta luck. Heck of a gamble, when you can go on YouTube and check out pretty much any kit at a variety of tunings.

NouveauCliche

Another concern I would have is the integrity of the pulleys themselves. They appear to be nothing more than strings. If one snaps, the whole system could fail.
Well - credit where credit is due - it's a 1.5mm AISI304 stainless steel cable which is a a little more than a "string" - that was one of my thoughts too when I saw it...but my guess is that if you're snapping steel cables - there's something going horribly wrong haha.

They DO sell these cables though - so if you're touring with one of these you at least have SOME peace of mind about that.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Part of my drum tuning of snares is having control over the relationship between the reso head and the snares. With both heads being tuned at once I'm not sure I would be happy with the snare wire sound. But I haven't tried obviously. Also the tuning of six strings on a guitar, to be in tune with each other, is something drummers need not worry about. Thankfully.

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I like the cable system. I find it visually appealing. I also like that it applies tension evenly across the two heads at any tuning. It makes things simple.

Now that's out of the way, I never tune my heads so the batter and reso are at the same tension. Snare would be the closest, as my batter and reso are both high and tight. That would be the only drum I would even attempt using this system on.

I really do love the look. It's different, but clean and classy in it's own way.

Oh yeah, I find tuning drums easier than guitars, but guitars are pretty dang easy.

C.M. Jones

Well - credit where credit is due - it's a 1.5mm AISI304 stainless steel cable which is a a little more than a "string" - that was one of my thoughts too when I saw it...but my guess is that if you're snapping steel cables - there's something going horribly wrong haha.

They DO sell these cables though - so if you're touring with one of these you at least have SOME peace of mind about that.
Got it. It would be pretty tough to snap steel. Even so, the tuning system seems too . . . systematic. I prefer the freedom of individual tension rods.

NackAttack

This is very cool, but I can’t get past the fact that you must have the batter and reso at the same tension. I’m glad people are making innovations to push drum tech forward, but I don’t mind the tediousness of tuning. It’s part of the drumming ritual to me.

C.M. Jones

Steel cables, surely?
Yes, NouveauCliche has confirmed that the cables are steel, which would be somewhat reassuring. The only lingering worry, for me at least, is that a problem with one portion of the cable could cause a universal malfunction. The whole concept paralyzes me with fear. I struggle even to type at the moment.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Got it. It would be pretty tough to snap steel. Even so, the tuning system seems too . . . systematic. I prefer the freedom of individual tension rods.
If they put pulleys dead center of the shell they could have each head tension separately. But then your uber$$$ snare drum would look like a hardware store monstrosity.

As per the cable, I'm sure it's fine. Had a .25" shielded one as a tether for a doberman. 750lb working load. Surely a 1.5mm can handle a couple hundred pounds, if that. Not sure of head tension, but it cant be that much.

Yamaha Rider

Yes, NouveauCliche has confirmed that the cables are steel, which would be somewhat reassuring. The only lingering worry, for me at least, is that a problem with one portion of the cable could cause a universal malfunction. The whole concept paralyzes me with fear. I struggle even to type at the moment.
Have a lie down in a darkened room for half an hour. 😁
My first reaction was that it's mechanically elegant and beautiful. Many aircraft control surfaces are moved by the same system.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Is it really that hard to tune a drum, anyway?
Exactly, there's 2 schools of thought, neither one is right nor wrong. Tune by ear or with a tuner, a tuner app certainly makes my life easier on stage but I'm happy enough tuning by ear if need be.

The problem with fancy tuning systems on drums is manufacturing costs and spare parts if anything breaks. I had an Arbiter AT Maple single lug tuning system for each drum, tom heads were a doddle to change, bass drum was a bit of a sod mind.

It's trying to highlight a problem that doesn't exist, also your resonant head should be used to....well......dictate the resonance of the drum, most people don't tune both heads at the same pitch.