If it wasn't for Drummerworld...

Hey, Larry remembers we met!

I've not traveled overseas or even across the country to meet up with people from this forum. But I have met numerous members over the years, and there are plenty of photos of such posted around here somewhere.

And this forum is how I came to meet Nick aka Living Dead Drummer, with whom I hang out frequently.
And how I got to know Bermuda, who I hang out with once a year (save last year).

So, yes, thank you, Bernard.

I love this place and all the people , and a few may not find me annoying but I keep working on that. I think I’ve matured as drummer , a better human being for my experiences here and I’m no more or less insane from when I started. So all a win, win. I’d like to meet people in person from DW that would be fun. I’m generally pretty quiet and introverted when I first meet people but then it doesn’t take long before I open up.

My kick would still be on the floor
My cymbals and heads would still be stock/beginner level Pearl crap.
My kit would not even be CLOSE to in tune. (Probably because I would still only have one key and I have cats)
Would never have heard of @Rob Hirons and seen his AWESOME instructional videos.
Would never have met most of you folks.
Sure there's more, but, You guys ROCK!

I am still new-ish here, and I consider myself lucky to have found DW. It's helped me release the drummer within, and taught me so very much.
A real good group of people here, too. I try to be helpful.
Maybe someday I'll be a real drummer, but for now I'll be playing at home and reading DW.

Thanks all, and thanks, Bernhard.

You think this kind of comradeship exists on a guitar forum?

I'm on a bass forum that used to be a lot more active (before a FB group swept up most of the members) and we would meet for GTGs and whatnot. I went to Bass Player Live for free the first 3 years because of that forum, lunched and drank with forum peeps. Met and talked with a few big names. It is a thing, some places.

I'm available if anyone wants to meet and feel better about their playing abilities. ;)

I'm less ignorant than I was before on many subjects - some related to drumming, some not.
I've been exposed to a wealth of knowledge, experience and viewpoints.

Hats off to Bernhard and the Mods!

Last edited:
Really digging the pics Duncan & Andy. I’m a visual thinker and these help inform my imaginings, the little movies I watch in my head.

They also remind me that music is all about human connection. At least that’s how it is for me.

I wouldn't have met Andy, his lovely wife Yvonne, Bo, Bermuda, Ian (DrumEatDrum), Caz, Simon Phillips, Mendozart, Grea, Henri, Duncan, Madge (Magenta) and her husband Glyn, Ben Riley, Yolanda Charles, Dave from Amedia Cymbals, David Floegal, I wouldn't have seen Tommy Aldridge and Dennis Chambers eating breakfast a few tables over.

I wouldn't have gone to England (twice) and Wales. I wouldn't have jammed in Wales with Madge's friends. I wouldn't have witnessed Andy tell JoJo Mayer to F off at the London Drum Show in 2013. (that was epic for me)
I wouldn't have the best drums in the world. I wouldn't be Uncle Larry. I wouldn't have gotten to stay at Andy's home for a few days. (What a treat!) I wouldn't have stayed with Madge for a few days (Another treat!). Madge took me to 3 actual castles (Ah-mazing OMG wow speechless). I wouldn't have seen thousands of sheep with dayglo paint on them wandering the countryside. I wouldn't have seen England's gorgeous hedgerows from the sky. I wouldn't have witnessed real live actual gypsies and their funky horse drawn carriages in England. I wouldn't have had a chance to walk a mile or so through the streets of London from Heathrow Airport to the Drum Show. I wouldn't have had the best meal in my life (That Andy made at his home). I still remember it. I wouldn't have seen a house with a real, four foot thick, straw thatched roof. I wouldn't have eaten lunch in a million year old Wales Tavern with old gnarly floorboards that were walked on by who knows how many historical figures. Just the age alone of these structures conjures a sense of romance and war. I wouldn't have had real English fish and chips. I wouldn't have seen the Tower of London (Thanks Andy that was so cool). I wouldn't have conversed with a Beefeater. I wouldn't have gone to NAMM in Anaheim (Thanks Bo) I wouldn't have seen the Pacific Ocean (Thanks Bo) I wouldn't have witnessed how narrow some English backroads are. I wouldn't have the sense of wonderment, history, and fascination about that part of the world.

That's the short list. I'm sure more things will occur to me.

Bernhard, I'm in your debt. Thank-you.
Cool post.
Love that you enjoyed my country, especially the castles: I've often thought that if I was American, a medieval castle would be 1st on my list to visit. Were they in Wales? Some great (and huge) ones there. Caerphilly is my favourite.

Cool post.
Love that you enjoyed my country, especially the castles: I've often thought that if I was American, a medieval castle would be 1st on my list to visit. Were they in Wales? Some great (and huge) ones there. Caerphilly is my favourite.

Yes, Wales. The castles all have spiral staircases it seemed and I got dizzy by the time I got to the top. The stone walls were so incredibly thick, like 8 feet. What a Herculean effort that must have been to construct. Skinny little windows for the archers. Absolutely life changing. We are so soft compared to the people back then. I instantly fell in love with the whole package.

I loved your Country. The history, wow, holy crap. After I came back to the States...I was really disgusted with my own Country. For like 2 weeks, for real. Your Country was that much better for me. Everything is so cheap here, the houses, everything. Fake brick, fake stone, fake pillars...A lot of houses are identical to their neighbors, a lot of them look the same. Not in England. I saw not 1 house that looked the same as another while I was there. That alone right there is a big deal to me.

Every structure was made of masonry as far as I could tell. Maybe not the thatched roof house. Probably mandated after the Great Fire of London in 1666 I'm guessing. The supermarkets are SO superior to what we have here. Much more refrigerated (read real) food. I really dug it over there. The castles absolutely knocked me out. I Imagine they are no big deal to you guys ha ha. I saw where Hereford beef comes from. The gypsies took me by surprise. No one told me about them. Just incredible. No way could the things I saw over there happen here. You can't just pull over on a public road and stay for a few days haha. That will get me arrested here. Wales was a real treat too. One thing I learned there...don't try and pronounce the Welsh words using the Yankee way to sound out syllables lol.

Last edited:
My first drummer world meet-up, from 2011!!!!

5362174877_a7fe944a2d.jpg

Drumhead61, FourOnTheFloorTom, Bermuda, DrumEatDrum, pocaro (in back), Bill Bachman (front), and Deltadrummer.

Really digging the pics Duncan & Andy.
I wish I had more pictures. As most meet ups were around shows, I was usually running around doing stuff.

Every structure was made of masonry as far as I could tell. Maybe not the thatched roof house.
Or my place (well, two end gable walls are double brick cavity, the rest are mostly oak beam frame + lime plaster panels).

There's certainly plenty of examples of cookie cutter builds & questionable quality construction in the UK Larry. I guess the biggest differences (UK vs. US) are based on mix of historical build trends in the same area, & in modern times, a lack of manufactured housing sector in the UK.

Don't feel bad about that - English people generally can't speak a single word of Welsh. It's not even RELATED to English.
Looks small on the map, but there's so much history packed into Britain - you can dig down in a village, say, and go through medieval, viking, norman, saxon, Roman, iron age, bronze age, and stone age layers.
America is different, but has a fascination of its own to outsiders (Spent a few months there) - a unique modernism. Always loved the cars of 50s and 60s that are virtually architecture in themselves - and the lovely houses and shops of the 20s and 30s, although sadly developers love to rip them down...
And the way they used timber - in places like San Francisco: The only timber we can use in the UK is oak - everything else rots in the damp!

Last edited:
Ps. There are large parts of the UK that are stupendously grotty - architecturally and socially - but let's accentuate the positive today!

Back