If it wasn't for Drummerworld...

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I wouldn't have met Andy, his lovely wife Yvonne, Bo, Bermuda, Ian (DrumEatDrum), Caz, Simon Phillips, Mendozart, Grea, Henri, Duncan, Madge (Magenta) and her husband Glyn, Ben Riley, Yolanda Charles, Dave from Amedia Cymbals, David Floegal, I wouldn't have seen Tommy Aldridge and Dennis Chambers eating breakfast a few tables over.

I wouldn't have gone to England (twice) and Wales. I wouldn't have jammed in Wales with Madge's friends. I wouldn't have witnessed Andy tell JoJo Mayer to F off at the London Drum Show in 2013. (that was epic for me)
I wouldn't have the best drums in the world. I wouldn't be Uncle Larry. I wouldn't have gotten to stay at Andy's home for a few days. (What a treat!) I wouldn't have stayed with Madge for a few days (Another treat!). Madge took me to 3 actual castles (Ah-mazing OMG wow speechless). I wouldn't have seen thousands of sheep with dayglo paint on them wandering the countryside. I wouldn't have seen England's gorgeous hedgerows from the sky. I wouldn't have witnessed real live actual gypsies and their funky horse drawn carriages in England. I wouldn't have had a chance to walk a mile or so through the streets of London from Heathrow Airport to the Drum Show. I wouldn't have had the best meal in my life (That Andy made at his home). I still remember it. I wouldn't have seen a house with a real, four foot thick, straw thatched roof. I wouldn't have eaten lunch in a million year old Wales Tavern with old gnarly floorboards that were walked on by who knows how many historical figures. Just the age alone of these structures conjures a sense of romance and war. I wouldn't have had real English fish and chips. I wouldn't have seen the Tower of London (Thanks Andy that was so cool). I wouldn't have conversed with a Beefeater. I wouldn't have gone to NAMM in Anaheim (Thanks Bo) I wouldn't have seen the Pacific Ocean (Thanks Bo) I wouldn't have witnessed how narrow some English backroads are. I wouldn't have the sense of wonderment, history, and fascination about that part of the world.

That's the short list. I'm sure more things will occur to me.

Bernhard, I'm in your debt. Thank-you.

Last edited:
As Andy would tell it...many years ago Jojo was, according to Andy, very rude to Andy and his son at a show I believe it was.

So at the 2013 London Drum Show, Jojo was nosing around the Guru stand. He asked Andy if he would sell some of his handcrafted wood hoops.

Of course Jojo didn't recognize Andy.

That's when Andy kind of meanly said "F Off". I didn't know the backstory when this happened. I found out right after. I respect the living crap out of Andy. He has bent over backwards for me, a nobody, but he tells JoJo Mayer to F off.

Also another thing that wouldn't have happened without Drummerworld...I wouldn't have seen Andy generously give away a Guru segmented padauk snare drum to Caz. Just an unbelievable man, Andy is.

Also, Duncan wouldn't have stayed at my house a few years ago.

I wouldn't have met Rich (steadypocket) or Jeff Almeyda (Jeff Almeyda). They came to my house when Andy was here.

So much has happened to me because of Drummerworld. It's really quite something. It changed the arc of my life.

Last edited:
This is a great community, and it's special when we can transcend the screen and meet the people. I'm particularly happy to have met all of the mods (except that new guy, Supergrobi) as well as Bernhard, and early mod Dogbreath. I know several L.A. members, and have met a number of others in my travels across N America. I had dinner with anon la ply (Pollyanna) in Sydney. And it was this forum that led me to Bo who subs for me in the Zero G Band when I'm on tour!

Really quite something indeed. Thank you Bernhard, and all of the members.

And it was a pleasure to meet you as well! Drummerworld has also opened me up to nice folks on the Internet too (who da thunk?). Of course being asked to sub for Bermuda in a local cover band (almost a decade ago now) was a total honor and brought me into another great family. This has probably been the most positive internet experience I’ve ever invested my time in. I can’t imagine where’d id be if I didn’t.3D38B3C3-A436-4B41-AB8C-6B64D1D57CFA.jpeg And getting to trudge a few miles with Bermuda through San Francisco looking for a drum shop is something you never forget!

Last edited:
I'd love to comment on what an amazing post this is, BUT I really, really need to hear about this. Can you or Andy please talk about this? I need details.
I don't remember dropping the F bomb (but not exactly unknown for me), just politely (but possibly firmly) refusing to do something because of the enquirer's status. The back story is correct.

I wouldn't have met Andy, his lovely wife Yvonne,
& the big one here, we wouldn't have met you, & that was truly an honour. You're my kind of person Larry (i.e. genuine). We've had some fun haven't we ;)

Bernhard, I'm in your debt. Thank-you.
Massively so!!! Without this forum, I question if I would still be playing, or indeed have taken the Guru journey as far as I did. Certainly, there's a huge list of characters who I've met through the forum, & all of them simply wonderful people. It's not an over statement to say Drummerworld has substantially enriched my life.

I don't remember dropping the F bomb (but not exactly unknown for me), just politely (but possibly firmly) refusing to do something because of the enquirer's status. The back story is correct.
Oh I do. You were kneeling down doing something and Jojo was to your back. You didn't look at him, you would've had to stand up and turn around. After he asked, you remained kneeling, turned your head sideways (towards me) and said "F off". Not real loud or anything, just enough to deliver the message lol. Epic. Jojo just walked away without saying anything. I'd love to know what was going through his mind at that time ha ha

Larry, I know you don't want to embarrass me, but I give you permission to go ahead and let everyone know that meeting me on here has been apogee of your experience here.

😉

Last edited:
More like the perigee :p

I have no problem embarrassing you man.

JK Jason. Jason is another one of DW's treasures. He's a Sex Therapist. I understand he is really good in bed.

Tragically, we haven't met yet :(

I like this thread and love this community. Among other's, it's made it possible for me to:

Meet so many wonderful and helpful people (too many to list and I don't want to leave anyone out).

Own my Guru segmented walnut snare drum and begin a relationship with it that continues to flourish as time goes on.

Be a better musician all the way around.

Have an audience to witness important developments in my musical life. One example: Years ago, I was featured in a local news segment about musician's day jobs. I posted a link and got tons of supportive feedback, not just "good on you" kinds of plaudits but comments that let me know people took the time to watch and acknowledge some particular things that stood out for them. That was super meaningful for me and I'm still buoyed up by it all these years later.

This place is a precious gift Bernhard and I thank you for it.

And thanks for the gratitude prompt Larry, I enjoy loitering in appreciation.

If it wasn't for Drummerworld, I wouldn't have spent so much money on drums and cymbals. :ROFLMAO: I'd probably be happy with one set.

But seriously, I've learned a lot of stuff and hopefully haven't given out too much wrong or bad information,
have had good e-conversations, gotten a lot of laughs, and very rarely have gotten ticked off.
Can't ask for much more than that.

I have learned that I'm even more of dick than I thought, gotten some great resources for improving my playing, gotten more insight into musicianship across the globe, and I met my brother from another mother.
I've learned that the Stage Custom is a touchy subject but everyone should have a set. The tunebot is also a source of great debate. The way to tune drums is quite possibly the most subjective thing on earth.

Thanks for the place, Bernhard.

If it weren't for drummerworld, i would be on another forum deleting 80% of what i post hoping i got it before anyone read it... cause i'm special and sometimes it gets out..

P.S. love this place.. drummers are the nicest peoples.

Something else I've learned from DW: I am apparently special when it comes to sticks, make and model don't matter at all. I can use anything to play. I have VF, Promark, and Vater sticks in the bag in 7A, 5A, 5B, and 2B and I use whatever. I have even mixed sizes for differing effects.

Something else I've learned from DW: I am apparently special when it comes to sticks, make and model don't matter at all. I can use anything to play. I have VF, Promark, and Vater sticks in the bag in 7A, 5A, 5B, and 2B and I use whatever. I have even mixed sizes for differing effects.

I use one stick and one brush a lot of times - stick for cymbal and brush for snare.

Back